PDA

View Full Version : Cimmeron .45colt demensions

waco
02-19-2011, 05:43 PM
i just ordered an "Evil Roy" .45 colt, with a 4.75" barrel.
i am making orders for molds, dies, sizer die, ect.
I am new to the .45 colt. i know that some older .45s are.452, and some .454
being this is a new gun, made on CNC equipment, can i assume this will be a .454 gun?
also, is anyone familiar with the cylinder dimensions of this gun? meaning, will some molds have the crimp groove as to were the loaded round would be too long and stick out the end of the cylinder?(i have this problem with 358429 in my taurus tracker)
I just dont want to buy a mold just to find out i cant use the crimp groove:(
hopefully someone out there is familiar with this gun and can give me some tips!
thanks again fellas!
Waco:castmine:

littlejack
02-20-2011, 01:55 AM
waco:
The pre-war 45 Colts were .454 diameter. The post-war bores are "generally" .452. My
Cimarron Evil Roy slugs at .452. When I run my boolits through my sizer die, they usually mic
at .4525. I miced my throats as best I could with my dial caliper, and they miced about
.4525-.453.
One thing I did do, was to open up the bore just ahead forcing cone, "where the barrel is
screwed into the frame" I slugged that portion of the barrel, and it miced out at .451. The
accuracy did improve after I opened it up to .4525.
As far as the boolit lengths, some ARE too long.
The 270 grain swc and heavier are too long for the Colt, and Colt clone saa cylinder lengths.
You will need to stay with the 250, 255, or 260 grain boolits depending on the profiles.
Of course anything lighter will work.
Maximum COAL for the 454190 boolit is supposed to be 1.600, and that leaves nose of
the boolit looking good from the end of the cylinder.
Some of the other designs will be a little longer, but the length will still be satisfactory.
The Lyman 454190 is the old original bp boolit, and was designed to be used in the saa and
the lever action rifles.
The Lyman 452424, or the 454424 swc are both good designs, and the lengths are correct.
Lyman also has the 452664 which was designed for "cowboy action shooting", according to
my 48th Lyman manual.
The Lee 255 rnfp is also another good design.
My advice, would be to slug your bore when you get your revolver, and see what you need
in diameter, and then buy the correct sizer die.
Slug the bore where it is screwed into the frame to see that it is not under size.
Mic the throats to see if they need reamed.
Jack

geargnasher
02-20-2011, 02:58 AM
I don't have an "Evil Roy", but have two Open Tops and a Bisely in .45 Colt, all slug .451" through the grooves and have .452" to .453" cylinder throats. All are very good shooters, but the Bisely needed replacing the flat trigger/cylinder bolt spring with a Wolf wire spring, and buying an oversized, locking cylinder base pin kit and fitting it to the gun to take the endshake out and keep the base pin from jumping the detent under recoil. Also polished the recoil shield on the left side where there was a step causing the cartridge rims to snag and bind the cylinder.

Gear

Dale53
02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
>>>The 270 grain swc and heavier are too long for the Colt, and Colt clone saa cylinder lengths.<<<

Actually, the RCBS 45-270-SAA (actually, about 285 grs with my alloy) was DESIGNED specifically for the rather short cylinders of the Colt SAA (hence the designation "SAA") and will work fine. It IS true, however, that many other SWC's of like weight ARE too long.

I shoot the Mihec clone of the RCBS 45-270-SAA in my USFA .45 Colt without issue.

Dale53