PDA

View Full Version : Precision Reloading Roll Crimper Tool

Newtire
02-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I got one of the Precision Reloading 10 gauge Roll Crimp tools-the one you mount in your drill press.

For the plastic shells, I have not seen any better roll crimp than that thing gives. I am still working on the paper hulls using my hand crank antique tool but probably could use the drill mounted tool by slowing it down.

Just saying, it is a real nice tool!

flashhole
02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking at them wondering if it is the right way to crimp. I would be using a drill press.

deltaenterprizes
02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Newtire, can you explain how to use the tool ? Is there any videos on the web?

Fredx10sen
02-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Ballistic Products sells the tool and has a video as well at the bottom of the page on the roll crimp. Cool Tool. It's on my "OneOfTheseDays" List. LOL Until then I will continue to use the antique hand crank one I own

Newtire
02-20-2011, 01:12 AM

This is not a Ballistic Product! It is made by Precision Reloading. Unless BRI makes it for them? This tool is steel and just mounts in the drill press. I left between 1/16" and 1/8" of case left over after the top overshot wad.

I just place the shell down on the drill press table and bring the moving roll crimp tool down and put a little pressure on it until I feel it drop down. I see no need to use the shell vise.

I'll put up a video myself one of these days.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRE&Category_Code=ROLL_CRIMPER

Newtire
02-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Here's a picture of the roll crimp the tool makes. That 10 gauge really does a number on a clay pigeon!

GLShooter
02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I use a 12 gauge version to roll crimp my 2" 12 gauge shells for matches if I don't want to star crimp. I also use plastic see through over shot wads so you can look and see the shot size. I load 8's and 4's so it does help.

Greg

Newtire
02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I use a 12 gauge version to roll crimp my 2" 12 gauge shells for matches if I don't want to star crimp. I also use plastic see through over shot wads so you can look and see the shot size. I load 8's and 4's so it does help.

Greg

I guess I'll have to get some of those next time I order from those guys. At the rate I just used up components loading 12 gauge this long weekend, that may be real soon.

cajun shooter
02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Newtire, They sell a plastic roll crimper tool that I purchased and I use it in my bench drill press. It makes factory looking crimps on paper hulls. The Federal and Fioochi hulls both work perfect with it. Use a slow speed. I purchased two of them about 3 years ago thinking I would need a back up, I am still using the first one with the back up waiting. $15 was the price when I bought mine.

Newtire
02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
That's a good thing to know Cajun. I guess there's no end to the tools you can buy-just when I was thinking I had about all I needed...