PDA

View Full Version : some suggestions please

garbear
02-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I just picked up to T/C muzzle loaders one is a 54 caliber the other a 36 caliber. Both are sidelocks and in good shape. I picked them up for a song and a dance. Any way I want some mold suggestions. round ball and conical. I figure the 36 round ball only but some other suggestions would be nice. I have heard the 36 can us oo buck shot. if so I may just buy a lee 00 buck shot mold.
thanks garbear

geargnasher
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Get a round ball mould for each and a Minie for the .54, not sure anyone makes a Minie for the .36, but I'm sure you can come up with something that will work. I used to shoot a lot of .45 caliber stuff when I was growing up, I bought .45 Minies from a local store (don't remember what brand), and shot them in my percussion sidelock pistol and Kentucky rifle (both cheap kit guns). I enjoyed not having to mess with a patch, just smear some beeswax/crisco blend on the grooves and ram 'em home. I also had great fun with a Hawken .32 and buckshot, I think it was 000 that fit it, not sure it would fit the .36.

Check your barrel groove and bore diameters to figure projectile size and patch thickness for the round balls. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 has a very good overview on shooing patched balls and Minies, and while there are lots of good books on the subject, it might be a book you already own.

Gear

MtGun44
02-19-2011, 03:13 PM
TC used to make a MaxiBall mold for the little .36, it should be excellent if you can find
one. Seems like I saw one on eBay a few years ago. A friend had one of these years
ago, he is dead now, wonder what ever happened to the rifle?

IME with my TC kit .50 cal Hawken, the MaxiBall was super accurate. Three shots into
one cloverleaf at 50 yds.

Bill

stubshaft
02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
There are still a few 36 Maxi Ball molds floating around, but you will have to figure out the twist of your barrel to determine if it will shoot well with it. I have gotten good accuracy in my 54 with REAL bullets and great accuracy with a Great Plains mold, but you pay the price in recoil.

MtGun44
02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
IIRC the TC .36 was designed to take the .36 TC Maxiball, they were a matched set.

Bill

mooman76
02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Lee is the only one that I could find that currently makes a DC mould for the 54. A RB mould is basically a RB mould so brand really doesn't matter too much unless you just don't like a particular brand. Try a .530 for the 54 and a .350 for the 36. I have Lee reals for the 54 in both sizes. They make 2 sizes for each caliber.

swamp
02-20-2011, 03:04 AM
garbear,

I have a Senaca and the T/C Maxiball mold for it. If you would like some to hold you over till you get a mold let me know.

I have cast 357 boolits out of soft lead and used them in a pinch. They worked pretty good for plinking fun.

Also have 530 RB mould if you need some of those. Have a 535 if you want a tight fit. And a 54 REAL mould if you want to try a conical.

Let me know if I can be of help.
swamp

Bret4207
02-20-2011, 10:02 AM
My little 36 dotes on RB's of .350 diameter, it's great on stuff up to coyotes size. Patching thickness will be the key to accuracy IME.

6.5 mike
02-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Would ranchdogs boolits work in the .36?

garbear
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Swamp. I got the boolits today I'd be out shooting them today but It stormed and we just picked up 12 chics and I have to finish squaring the cop. Now I'll have to do a range report for both rifles
Garbear