PDA

View Full Version : 41 mag Hunter silhouette

leas327
02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
My local range added one Hunter Pistol Silhouette to their match schedule this year. This gives me a reason to get my 6 1/2 inch 657 Smith out and shoot. I really haven't done much with the gun and I have never shot silhouette before. I currently have a mold I bought used from another member here. There are no markings on it but it was sold to me as a lee 6 cav 215 gr group buy. It looks like a H&G 258 copy. The boolits I made out of unknown lead weigh 210 gr and are .412. Is this going to be enough bullet weight to knock the rams down at 100 meters or should I look for something heavier? I am going to replace the rear sight blade with a plain black one and would like to replace the ramped front with a partridge style. Any suggestions about a good long range sight setup would also be appreciated. I would like to get a solid setup/loads developed so I can practice as much as i can before this match in August.

bhn22
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
In my silhouette days, I routinely knocked the rams over with 110 gr .357 magnum, loaded to about 1400 fps to flatten the trajectory out. I also used a 30 carbine contender barrel with 110 gr Hornady short-jackets at about the same velocity. If you can hit them, they will fall over. I'd suggest shooting the gun as-is, then deciding on any modifications.

cbrick
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
A 210 gr bullet will knock over a Hunters Pistol ram if you throw it over hand. A mild load with easy recoil will make the match both easier and more enjoyable. No need whatsoever for anything near full power 41 Mag loads in Hunters Pistol.

Any sight system in which you don't modify the firearm (rules), is click adjustable and are repeatable will work.

Rick

leas327
02-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Good to know I won't need to buy another mold.
I didn't really know how much it took to knock the targets over. The times I have shot out to 100 meters I was shooting at a paper plate or one of the steel plates the range has hanging on chains.

Changing the rear blade is more of a personal preference than a need. I just like the plain black better than the white outline.

The guys I see at the range shooting pistols farther than 25 yards all seem to have tall partridge sights. I just figured it was needed to get enough sight adjustment.

missionary5155
02-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Greetings
No problem at 100 meters to knock over 50# rams with a 210 grainer.
A model 57 will be a fine tool for that game. I have had one for many years but never shot steel with it as I used my other Wesson with a 8" barrel.

7br
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Greetings
No problem at 100 meters to knock over 50# rams with a 210 grainer.
A model 57 will be a fine tool for that game. I have had one for many years but never shot steel with it as I used my other Wesson with a 8" barrel.

Iffn you ever want to get rid of the other Wesson with the 8" barrel, let me know. I have one in the safe that will someday go to one of my sons and I am sure the "Other" son will be miffed.