PDA

View Full Version : I think I killed my microwave oven.

Gelandangan
02-19-2011, 07:32 AM
SWMBO not home yet..

I was trying to make a batch of lube and instead of melting them using double boiler,
I got this great idea to use the microwave.

So into a plastic container went a couple of beeswax cake (smelted them into muffin pan I used for lead)
and I set the machine to nuke them for 4 minutes.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ... for about 2 and a half minutes..
Crackle and pop.. then silence ... Huh ???

Tried to start it again but the damned thing stays silence... :(

Looking into the container, the wax has just melted..
No sense in wasting the melt..
so I mixed in my film cannister full of ATF oil, and a tea spoon of lanolin then stir like crazy..

Now all evidence are packed away..
I am sitting here waiting for SWMBO to find out...
Wish me luck..

DragoonDrake
02-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Good luck

6bg6ga
02-19-2011, 07:45 AM
You put a metal pan in the microwave?

DragoonDrake
02-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I think he said plastic container.

6bg6ga
02-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
smelted them into muffin pan I used for lead

With that comment it was hard to tell because a lot of muffin pans are metal still.

I would check the overtemp safety switch usually found on the finned portion by the magnatron assy. They go open and the microwave quits working but will still light up the control panel and internal light.

x101airborne
02-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Kitchen-6 is gonna shoot you with your own gun and boolits!!

gasboffer
02-19-2011, 09:18 AM
My frugal (stingy) sister made me buy several sacks of potato chips (Lays) because they were on sale. She put them in the freezer. I recently got a sack out and decided to thaw them out in the microwave. (BZZZT!) Damn sack is coated on the inside with what looks a very thin coating of aluminum foil. That was pretty exciting for a minute.

Three44s
02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Metal pan with plastic coating not good for microwave.

Time to go shopping with your wife and buy her a new microwave on the President's birthday weekend ............. lots of good sales I am sure.

Three 44s

LUCKYDAWG13
02-19-2011, 03:11 PM
i think there is a fuse in side the microwave

geargnasher
02-19-2011, 03:58 PM
He said he put beeswax muffins in a plastic container in the 'wave. He used his lead muffin ingot pan to make the wax muffins, that's all. He didn't say he put the muffin pan in the microwave.

Should be a fuse or circuit breaker in the back of the machine, you should be able to unscrew a cover and find it. Or, you could play dumb if you didn't get wax everywhere, and just say you were trying to heat up some lunch and it quit, but I didn't tell you that!!!

It takes a lot of btus to melt wax, and it absorbs heat slowly, so it might have overworked the microwave. Mine grunts hard when I put a pint of wax in it, but I only use 30-40% power setting to keep it from burning the wax or exploding and making a huge mess, takes about ten minutes in mine on the reduced power settings.

Gear

thx997303
02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Is it possible you got some lead in the beeswax?

41magfan
02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
What's wrong with the truth?

runfiverun
02-19-2011, 10:02 PM
she's gonna smell the b-wax.
limber up the checkbook, and tell her you need a new wave...

Gelandangan
02-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Ok Its all good..

I sort of goes, "Honey, the microwave sorta plays up!"
She goes, "Oh yeah, been wanting to tell you that! It has been spluttering the whole week now.."
I go, "..... " :???: ... :groner: I was worried out for nothing!!!

So today we gone out and bought a new one.....

=================================================

To clear the vague first post,
No I did not place METAL ingot pan in the microwave, I am silly but not THAT silly..
No there is not likely that there is leftover lead in the pan.

Geargnasher, you have been using microwave to make lube?
Do tell the method..

geargnasher
02-20-2011, 02:40 AM
Not to make lube, to reheat it so I can pour it in my lube/sizer reservoirs. I never saw the point of casting hollow lube sticks when you can just keep your lube in an oven-safe, glass measuring cup.

Gear

roaddog1m
02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
What's wrong with the truth?

Baaaaahahahahaha! Good one, I peed a little!

fredj338
02-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Try buying a cheap crock pot, $15 # Target or Wally. Works great, moderate even heat, bowl comes out for pouring, perfect lube processor.

onesonek
02-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Try buying a cheap crock pot, $15 # Target or Wally. Works great, moderate even heat, bowl comes out for pouring, perfect lube processor.

That's what I was thinking as well,,,,if you have a second hand store near by, check them out as well. I was in the one here Sat. looking for another air type popcorn popper for roasting coffee, and notice several crock pots. I grabbed another little 1qt size for $6.00 while I was there.

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
My micro does it when i cook anything smoky. It stops working as a safety measure . It usally re starts. If not tell wife: You deserve a new microwave etc...

Shooter6br
02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
i use my microwave to make Emments lube. Glass measuring cup I use 50 t0 60% power. No hotter. Wife hoopes i break the micro wave so she can get a new one. LOL i dont replace things unless they are broken.. She says" Honey dont you NEED to make more bullet lube?

Doby45
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Nothing beats the little 4-6Cup self contained coffe pot. I got mine at the Goodwill for $2.38 (stills says it on the side in grease pencil) works like a CHAMP. Melts quick and when I am finished pouring I just set it on the table to cool a bit then I put it away with whatever is left in it, in it.

Moonie
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
You know what, wife wants a new over the stove microwave, hates my microwave (too big on her counters).

Just thought, the man cave can use a microwave/lube heater, but it is a very large one, need to build a new shelf...

Doby45
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
DUDE you can even make you some popcorn while your out in the cave. I am jealous.

geargnasher
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Microwave and mini-fridge are man cave staples. Mrs. Geargnasher has a built-in microwave in the cabinet right next to the overhead vent hood/microwave/convection oven over the stove. I think every household should have three microwaves!

Gear

Doby45
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I am just jealous that he has a man cave. I will have one some day. I just know it!!!!

Elkins45
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Semi-related: I shattered a Pyrex measuring cup trying to melt some wax in a microwave. Blew the door open. Fortunately it was only a cheap microwave my wife had from before we were married.

Dannix
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow. That's pretty crazy Elkins.

Good Cheer
02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
My better 2/3's has a sure fix on malfunctioning kitchen appliances. Out back with a 38 snubby. Very therapeutic.

Moonie
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
My better 2/3's has a sure fix on malfunctioning kitchen appliances. Out back with a 38 snubby. Very therapeutic.

:holysheep

fredj338
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Semi-related: I shattered a Pyrex measuring cup trying to melt some wax in a microwave. Blew the door open. Fortunately it was only a cheap microwave my wife had from before we were married.
I've heard this w/ new pyrex vs older stuff. The new i smade in china from diff mat'l & can break changing temp extremes or over heating.