PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Bonanza PM Bullseye lid

Swagerman
11-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Guess they don't make these anymore, any one got an extra lid in your junk box.

This old timer is for Bullseye powder only. Might as well try it out and see if it does the job. Has 3.0, 4.0, 5.3, and 5.5 rotors.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160005Bonanzacropped650Xa.jpg

C A Plater
11-17-2006, 09:46 PM
I think they use the same top for thier "Bench Rest Powder Measure" . It looks the same anyway and they want $8.55 plus for it.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/powder_measure.htm

Swagerman
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey! It do look like the same hopper alright. But heck, I only need the lid...and I'm pretty cheap when it comes to little crap like this. :mrgreen:

I may resort to using a mayo or butter tub lid, if I can find one that fits. Told you I was cheap. :)

Jim

Ross
11-20-2006, 01:20 AM
My B&M measure was capped with an engine soft plug from the automotive store, (as were the originals).
They might find a fit for yours.

Swagerman
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Hello, Ross.

Please show a picture of your B&M automotive soft plug if you can, it will aid me in trying to find one at an automotive retail store.

I've been trying to find any dang lid that will slip over this powder hopper, and no luck so far.

By the way, I tested the unit with some Bullseye powder, it throws extremely accurate charges, but you have to rap the twist knob sharply to get it. Its a keeper, glad I located one.

Jim

KCSO
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
If you havce someone with a lathe it is easy enough to spin one out of an old aluminum baking pan. That is how I made the new lids for my old #55. Just make a wood form and use a spinning center with a flat piece to hold the stock while you form it. It takes loinger to make the forms than to make the lids.

Swagerman
11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
That sounds really neat on forming one out of aluminum, but too much a chore for a washed out old cooter like myself.

Heck, I'd settle for one made out of hardwood at this point.

Next time I can get to town, will check out the engine plug, or anything at Ace that might fit.

Jim

carpetman
11-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Swagerman---The soft plug is also called a freeze plug. Go to an auto parts store(take measure with you)they should be able to fit it in either brass or shiney galvanized or whatever it is.

ron brooks
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Those automotive soft plugs are also called freeze plugs.

Ron

carpetman
11-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Ron Brooks--"Those soft plugs are also called freeze plugs"---Hmmm. Why do you have me on ignore lol? What a dumb question--if he does he won't see this.

Swagerman
11-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Ise sees ya both, but the picture of my Bonanza powder hopper is 3" in diameter, no freeze plug is ever that big are they?

Another fellow here has given me a good idea, going to look at PVC pipe tomarrow at the hardware store, see if they got something that will fit over the top of this hopper...then maybe make a clear plastic top on the lid.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160005Bonanzacropped650Xa.jpg

Jim

montana_charlie
11-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Might find an end cap for plastic pipe in the plumbing section...
- or cut the bottom off of an empty (plastic) peanut butter jar...
- or wet a piece of vegetable tanned leather, stretch it over the mouth and hose clamp it 'til it dries...
- dryer venting comes in 3-inch and 4-inch sizes (I think) and I seem to recall seeing a simple galvanized sheet metal end cap in both sizes...might work? I have one plugging the clean-out elbow on my pellet stove...
- two plexiglas discs, one matching the outside diameter and one matching the inside, screwed or glued together...
- or how 'bout those shallow round cans that tuna comes in?
CM

Swagerman
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks, everyone who kicked in their two cents on what will work for a guy too cheap to buy factory. :mrgreen:

But what the hey! I found a measuring cup that I cut off the bottom ( plyable clear plastic) and it's now resting snuggly on my old Bonanza powder measure like a sailors watch cap.

Has rounded curve with flat top, sorta of semi domed...but it works.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3200013BonanzaPMcroppedb.jpg

Jim

Dale53
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
What works, WORKS!!

Dale53

ron brooks
11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Nope Carpetman, I would never put you on ignore. :) It's just that I often start reading a thread, get interupted by someth9ng, then go back and send a reply and it's been a while , say a half hour or an hour since I "downloaded" the thread.

No Swagerman, I don't think they coe in a three inch size. :) Glad you got it worked out.

Ron

Swagerman
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, to put the capper on this thread, I asked Forsterproducts.com a couple of weeks ago by their website if they could sell me a lid for this Bonanza powder measure. They offerd to sell me a new powder measure with the lid, but I declined because I had a perfectly good red hopper...just needed a lid.

So, later I order another Bonanza brass powder rotor that drops 5.0 grains, and it shows up today with guess what...a red primer flip tray lid I'm sure was made for the powder measure. It fit perfectly.

Its what they called a bonus collector item from their Bonanza stash. Really nice folks at Forster's to send the flipper tray primer lid...makes an old man happy.

They still have some Bonanza products in stock, though they don't make them anymore.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P4050029BonanzaPMcropped450X.jpg