PDA

View Full Version : 40 cal 145-185 grains from 9mm case

BT Sniper
02-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Had a few inquires latly into lighter 40 cal bullets from the 9mm brass. I said it could be done and finally got around to taking a few pics.

Here is what I made from left to right.

Standard 185 grain bullet with 125 grain .356 core in standard 9mm brass case, 165 grain bullet with 102 grian .356 core and trimmed brass, and a 145 grain bullet with 93 grian .312 core with trimmed brass.

The core weights actually dropped at around 128, 105 and 85 (yes 85 grains from a 93 grain mold ???) so we can get the nice 20 grain spread between possible bullets for the 40 cal.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/40cals003.jpg

Here is a pic of two 145 cal bullets. One on left is from 9mm case with 85 grain core. One on right is my custom jacket made from cut off 30-06 brass with 128 grain lead core. Notice bullet on right is made with orginal CH die with .250 metpat and bullet on left is with same die but bored the nose of the die up to .312 metplat
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/40cals001.jpg

Last we have a pick of two identical weight bullets made from the same standard length 9mm case. Notice how we can compress the jacket just a bit to give use a shorter bullet then the length of teh case. The difference is in the size of the HP used to form the bullet. The one on the left is a smaller HP then the one on the right. I have learned it is very important for us to watch the total length of these 40 cal bullets we are making when loaded to spec lengths in a 40 S&W. In a 10mm longer length bullets is not a problem that I know of. In 40 S&W we need to keep the bullet length under .700! Problem is the longer bullets seat deep enough that it enguages with the 5 degree thicker taper of the case wall in the 40 S&W brass and can cause excessive pressure if the bullet is clamped into this area of the case. Somthing to watch out for and somthing I will make sure to check in the size of the HP for all my future 40 cal die offerings. This long bullet posted below was made with an extra large HP that I have not offered in previous dies.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/40cals002.jpg

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

jixxerbill
02-19-2011, 09:07 AM
and here is what can be made from plain old copper tubing..http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/jixxerbill/DSCF0256.jpg

although they dont have that funny lookin base on them they still shoot OK....i made 500 of them and all weigh between 124.2 to 124.4.....i weigh all jackets and then weigh all cores then match them together....5 shots mv deviation was .12 if i remember correctly....they zombie medicine

torker
02-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice looking bullet there. I like the finished result of copper. Are those punchs and dies your creation? "Great work" Please continue with posting pictures of your projects. I'm sure many here would enjoy them. Thanks again...

BwBrown
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Bill,
VERY nicely done!!!
Bob

jixxerbill
02-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice looking bullet there. I like the finished result of copper. Are those punchs and dies your creation? "Great work" Please continue with posting pictures of your projects. I'm sure many here would enjoy them. Thanks again...

thanks torker for the kind words.., i seldom come in here ...just to buy some boolit molds or check the swappin/sellin thread...and yes sir i made all the dies and punches to swage the bullets with.....bill

blaser.306
02-19-2011, 08:15 PM
thanks torker for the kind words.. i wish more people in this forum were interested in actually swaging bullets, but it seems to me this forum is eat up with using reloading presses and destroying pistol brass to make them, so i seldom come in here ...just to buy some boolit molds or check the swappin/sellin thread...and yes sir i made all the dies and punches to swage the bullets with.....bill

care to share any pointers/ hints on making sucsessfull dies that you speak of ?

ANeat
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Jixxer, I for one would love to see a seperate thread on your tubing dies

a.squibload
02-20-2011, 04:27 AM
... i wish more people in this forum were interested in actually swaging bullets,...

Maybe you could contribute some ideas without putting us down?

torker
02-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Jixxer: I agree with those above, who would enjoy a seperate thread with some of your equipment. Again "Very nicely Done" Thanks...

ReloaderFred
02-20-2011, 12:31 PM
"Maybe you could contribute some ideas without putting us down?"

Yes, we could do without the sarcasm.....

Fred

BT Sniper
02-20-2011, 02:08 PM
removed post. See explanation below.

BT

Daywalker
02-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Again, I see you keep bringing me into disussions that I have nothing to do with Brian. I merely agreed with jixxerbill on the BSSP Press and Mr Blackmon's Dies. I don't see you attacking anyone else that also agreed with the BSSP press and Blackmon's dies in the discussion.

That does not mean I also agree with not using pistol brass for jackets. I will always continue to use pistol brass for jackets no matter what die set I go with!!

Whatever you and jixxerbill have going on, has nothing to do with me so stop trying to make it that way!!!

BT Sniper
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Removed post. See explanation below.

BT

jixxerbill
02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
edited by me

BT Sniper
02-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Sorry guys I had a rough weekend. My little girls are very sick and I was on little to no sleep. I edited or removed my posts as I'm sure my commments may not have reflected my better side. I offer my appoligies to those I may have offended and welcome them to edit or remove their posts as well if they like.

I certainly enjoy the postive forum we have here to share ideas and I will do my best to keep it that way.

BT

scrapcan
02-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks fo posting this BT and Jixerbill.

And if it matters, we can all have bad days, we just have to recant, apologize, and get on with it. Looks like that is done.

Now can the two of you share the details on using the sectioned case or the copper tubing?

MakeMineA10mm
02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I was in the basement looking at some of my 9mm brass that I don't want to process (military w/ crimped-in primers), and decided to drop one of my 105gr Lee 102-2R bullets in a scale pan with the heavy military brass (68grs) and figured that if I add two pieces of #8 shot, I'd get a nice 170gr JHP. Maybe another set of dies I've got to get from BT one of these days.

wganz6294
06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Yes, resurrecting a 3 year old thread. Sorry. My google-fu is weak and cannot find the tools to buy to convert a mound of 9x19mm brass to 40 boolets.

Could someone be so kind to post a link to where I can buy the swaging dies to do this?

Best regards,

anotherred
06-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Top of this forum, there is a sticky about making 9mm brass to 40 cal bullets. Good read that should get you started.

BT Sniper
06-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Yes, resurrecting a 3 year old thread. Sorry. My google-fu is weak and cannot find the tools to buy to convert a mound of 9x19mm brass to 40 boolets.

Could someone be so kind to post a link to where I can buy the swaging dies to do this?

Best regards,

PM sent.