PDA

View Full Version : Remelt my ingots?

SkookumJeff
02-19-2011, 01:31 AM
OK, I'm finally getting rolling along here. I did my first smelt a week or two ago. I over heated my lead. Before melting any more lead I was waiting for my casting thermometer. Today I put it all together, heated my smelting pot up and checked my temps. Kept the pot around 600 degrees. I remelted all the dross I skimmed off on my first smelt. That dross seemed too heavy, I believed I skimmed off lead with the dross. I got everything melted and mixed, fluxed with sawdust (coarse) and skimmed the dross off with my newly acquired perforated spoon. Man was that a lot easier skimming lead than using a solid spoon as I did with the first smelt. This time after I skimmed the dross off, I let it cool and then I checked it. Seemed more like crunchy dirt to me, not much metallic looking material in the dross. A little, but not much. I was a lot happier with this smelt. Ladled out lead into my muffin ingot mould. After they cooled I coaxed them out of the mould, these ingots looked much better than the ingots from my first smelt. I should mention that my lead is very soft, supposedly near pure lead.

Because I overheated the lead on my first smelt, is there any reason I should remelt all the ingots I poured in my first smelt? After sitting a couple of weeks, when I drop these ingots on concrete, they thunk, there is no ring when they hit the concrete. The point is I'm pretty sure the lead is near pure lead. I say that after checking the hardness of one of my small ingots with my Lee Hardness tester. The dimple measured .100 which is off the scale with the chart Lee provides. That puts this lead below 8 bhn, guesstimating I'd say in the neighborhood of 5-6 bhn. I'm guessing the ingots from the first melt are OK, but I'd like to know what you guys think?

bumpo628
02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
As long as the old ingots are clean and don't have inclusions, then you don't need to remelt them. When it's time to cast, you can reflux them again and that will clean them up if anything was missed.

SkookumJeff
02-19-2011, 02:15 AM
As long as the old ingots are clean and don't have inclusions, then you don't need to remelt them. When it's time to cast, you can reflux them again and that will clean them up if anything was missed.

The ingots may have inclusions. I only had my boolit casting ladle when I poured them so I had to pour them in steps. Why would inclusions be a problem?

stubshaft
02-19-2011, 02:29 AM
The only problem I have with them is that I store my ingots outside and water can seep in. When I drop it into the pot I have to be careful or the tinsel fairy will pay me a visit.

lwknight
02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
No reason to remelt then if you have anything else to do. If you get totally bored , well... melting stuff is fun.

Ole
02-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't waste the propane.

bumpo628
02-19-2011, 01:43 PM
The ingots may have inclusions. I only had my boolit casting ladle when I poured them so I had to pour them in steps. Why would inclusions be a problem?

Most people have a smelting pot and a casting pot. You try to do all your dirty work in the smelting pot and then you only put clean alloy in the melting pot. Especially if you have a bottom pour. If the ingots look pretty good on the outside, then don't worry about what is inside. Either way, you'll get it out with the next flux.

Dennis Eugene
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
nope next time you melt them make bullets out of them.Dennis

fredj338
02-19-2011, 04:27 PM

They aren't. You are going to melt them for casting, flux again, they'll be fine. I would get my heat upto 650-700 smelting. Makse sure everything is molten before fluxing. This seems to work best for leaving all the metal in the pot & only getting out the dirt/crud.