PDA

View Full Version : Have I taken too much off?

brnomauser
02-18-2011, 07:08 PM
My new Lee bullet sizer was sizing my pills to .2425. I slugged the bore at .243. I've just honed my lee sizer out a bit. The bullets are now reading .2435 - .2440. When I try them in an unsized case they fit but quite tight. I can push them in and pull them out with my fingers, but only just. Is this ok?

I'm not 100% on my slugging, so now I'm worried I've honed the sizer too far...

white eagle
02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
are the cases unsized ?
if they are this is alright
if the cases are sized then no this is not good .....

Bret4207
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
What in the world are you trying to size pills for in the first place? Try boolits, they shoot better. When you get around to sizing boolits, +.002 over groove diameter up to throat diameter is about right. Also remember your sizing die is meant for jacketed and the expander will leave the neck ID smaller than what cast generally needs. If they are tight in an unsized case fired in that particular rifle you should be getting close to the right size. You may need to expand the neck a bit with an M-die. A GC'd cast boolit might expand the neck a little in seating, but only a bit.

gnoahhh
02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I'll hazard a guess that you'll be fine. If it were mine I would have to try some light loads with it like that, unsized and thumb seated shallowly in the case. Seating it long will engage the rifling which will push it further back into the case for uniform seating depth for each shot. Might surprise you with it's accuracy. No good for walking around with a handful in your pocket, but for off the bench...

brnomauser
02-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks fellas. Yep it is an unsized case. I was just checking out of interest and I thought they should be a loose fit here.

But I'll load some up for firing tomorrow. I'm going for light Trail Boss loads right now because that's what I've got. Then I'll get some 4198 when funds allow so I can get some higher velocity loads. But if I got some sub sonic now I'd be quite pleased actually

peerlesscowboy
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Trying them in an unsized case doesn't tell you much. Load one in a sized case and the loaded cartridge should chamber freely. If it does (and I suspect it will) you'll be fine [smilie=w:

brnomauser
02-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Trying them in an unsized case doesn't tell you much. Load one in a sized case and the loaded cartridge should chamber freely. If it does (and I suspect it will) you'll be fine [smilie=w:

yep it chambered fine. Just fired off a tester and no dramas. So now off load testing!

missionary5155
02-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Good morning
Fat boolits are happy boolits !