PDA

View Full Version : We could make that bullet! Secrets revealed!

BT Sniper
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
For those of you allready swaging do you ever look at a commercial bullet and say "I know how they did that"? Like a magician watching another magician 's act?

For those of you that are not swaging your own jacketed bullets yet..... I bet you will look at comercial bullets differently after you swage your own. :)

I have said many times I thought it took a lot of expensive machines, highly educated minds, and a bit of magic to make a bullet. Well I have certainly seen the light. Check out one of the bullets I found today surfing the web and then check the 45 cal I made a while back. A simple airsoft BB and my universial notch die.

Secrets revealed!

Let's make a "stump the swager" thread with pics of comercial bullets and see what we can do to make our on version. I am still trying to figure out the nose HP of the gold dot.

Commercial offering on top in .357, my bullet below on right made a while back in 45 cal. I am partial to mine :)

Heck how long will it be before we see a commercial offering or a copy of a bullet we designed here????

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/wecould.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s003.jpg

BT

Radio Flyer
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
For those of you allready swaging do you ever look at a commercial bullet and say "I know how they did that"? Like a magician watching another magician 's act?

For those of you that are not swaging your own jacketed bullets yet..... I bet you will look at comercial bullets differently after you swage your own. :)

I have said many times I thought it took a lot of expensive machines, highly educated minds, and a bit of magic to make a bullet. Well I have certainly seen the light. Check out one of the bullets I found today surfing the web and then check the 45 cal I made a while back. A simple airsoft BB and my universial notch die.

Secrets revealed!

Let's make a "stump the swager" thread with pics of comercial bullets and see what we can do to make our on version. I am still trying to figure out the nose HP of the gold dot.

Commercial offering on top in .357, my bullet below on right made a while back in 45 cal. I am partial to mine :)

Heck how long will it be before we see a commercial offering or a copy of a bullet we designed here????

BT

As strange as it sounds almost all of the commercial offerings are started with the small swaging of custom bullets.

The big companies watch the little guys like a hawk...

BT Sniper
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
As strange as it sounds almost all of the commercial offerings are started with the small swaging of custom bullets.

The big companies watch the little guys like a hawk...

I believe it. Well I hope to live to see the day many of use don't need to buy comercial bullets.

Swage On! Fight the Power! Free ourself from expensive lead and copper projectiles. OK I'll get off my soap box now.

BT

BwBrown
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
"I hope to live to see the day many of use don't need to buy commercial bullets."

That's my goal, Brian - in fact about half way there already. I have a least a basic boolit in each caliber as below - probably work on fancy refinements as I go.

45 colt - using BT Sniper dies
44 spec/mag - using BT Sniper dies
38/357 - using CH4D and Corbin S dies

223 - using some OLD Hemp dies complete with a newer issue derimming die
243/6mm - not sure if I want to peruse this one
257 - still waiting
308 - still waiting

My reloading bench is actually a large closet across the end of a room, but is much like the old definition of a boat - (a wooden hole in the water into which you throw money). I open the door and throw in money - but after more than 4 decades, it has been much less expensive than a boat - no need to ask how I know.

That said, I love this hobby! Loaded my first shot shell at 13 - that was 46 years ago and am more enthusiastic about the hobby today than I was back then. Could likely count on one hand the number of boxes of commercial center fire cartridges I've bought; and considering the countless thousands of rounds I've put into the berm, I have in fact saved money.

What we need to do is start naming some of "our" creations... giving credit where credit is due.

How 'bout the "BT Sniper Notched Soft Point" or BTS-NSP, BTS-NHP (notched hollow point)

BT Sniper
02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Your 257 will be soon. I have all I need to put it together for you. Only thing I seem to be short on is time. I'll have a 257 bullet picture for you by end of month and probably sooner. Matter of fact I may need you to do some testing on the 257 bullets if you're up to it :)

BT

BwBrown
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Your 257 will be soon. I have all I need to put it together for you. Only thing I seem to be short on is time. I'll have a 257 bullet picture for you by end of month and probably sooner. Matter of fact I may need you to do some testing on the 257 bullets if you're up to it :)

BT

Bring it on! Happy to be at least a small part of the creative process. The 257 Roberts has always been a favorite for me, maybe because it was named after me (That's MY story and I'm sticking to it.)

Also just picked up an old sort-of-classic Remington pump I'm itchin' to play with this spring.

Bob

sargenv
02-19-2011, 03:03 AM
I'd be happy to try my hand at .30 cal stuff... I have a 308 and just picked up a C&R 30-06..

BT Sniper
02-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Oh ya! We'll be busy with the 308s soon too!

jixxerbill
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
"Heck how long will it be before we see a commercial offering or a copy of a bullet we designed here????"

never going to happen....1)big companies know better than to waste pistol brass making bullets..2)its too many steps making copper jacketed bullets with that ugly base on the bottom of them and a waste of copper.....bill

BwBrown
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
"Heck how long will it be before we see a commercial offering or a copy of a bullet we designed here????"

never going to happen....1)big companies know better than to waste pistol brass making bullets..2)its too many steps making copper jacketed bullets with that ugly base on the bottom of them and a waste of cooper.....bill

True.

While the big guys would not waste the brass as Bill notes, they have the luxury of new brass and the machinery to draw brass into jackets. While they would never waste the cases and end up with the "ugly base", they could copy one of our experimental tips. I interpreted the OP to be speaking more of the design or appearance of the tip: hollow point, ballistic tip, notched plastic, etc.

We have, on the other hand, a fairly good supply of used brass that can be re-purposed into jackets. For many of our purposes, they are for the most part just as reasonably functional.

For MY uses, while it is easy enough to turn or mill those pesky "ugly bases" off as some have done, especially if you have a mill sitting in the shop, the slugs headed down my bores will make holes just as well as the purty commercial jackets - and the target still never knows what hit it.

Industry often gets ideas and trends from the private sector.

It's just fun!
Bob

BT Sniper
02-19-2011, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=jixxerbill;1167425
never going to happen....1)big companies know better than to waste pistol brass making bullets..2)its too many steps making copper jacketed bullets with that ugly base on the bottom of them and a waste of cooper.....bill[/QUOTE]

Come on.... Anyone ever shot any of these?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/mainpage-GoldenSaber.jpg

Overview:
Dead-serious bullet innovation. A superior bullet for when the stakes are at their highest. Designed for law enforcement and personal defense, the Golden Saber High Performance Jacket successfully combines: match-type accuracy, deep penetration, maximum expansion and near 100% weight retention.

Key Features:
High-performance jacket (HPJ) handgun ammunition built around revolutionary hollow-point bullet design
Jacket made entirely of cartridge brass, which releases energy over longer distance while mushrooming Spiral nose-cut feature permits mushrooming at lower velocity without sacrificing penetration or terminal performance
Primer and mouth waterproofing standard
Cases nickel-plated for reliable feed, function and extraction

Remington link
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/handgun/golden-saber-hpj.aspx

Should be easy enough to get the jackets. Skip a couple steps in the cartridge forming process and you have a jacket with no extracter groove or primer pocket!

BT

falconpilot
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I still have a real big soft spot for the ol' Black Talons.... Would love to be able to make some of those in .44, .45 and .40...

Anybody have an idea on how they made those?

Dennis

seppos
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
BT:s Universal Notching die and find a way to twist the notches before point forming..
That way the notches kind a collapses under each other in point forming.

S

firefly1957
03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
They may force us to buy/make higher pressure presses if we are forced away from lead but we will carry on.

Radio Flyer
03-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Come on.... Anyone ever shot any of these?

...the Golden Saber High Performance Jacket...Jacket made entirely of cartridge brass, which releases energy over longer distance while mushrooming [/B]Spiral nose-cut feature permits mushrooming at lower velocity without sacrificing penetration or terminal performance...

Should be easy enough to get the jackets. Skip a couple steps in the cartridge forming process and you have a jacket with no extracter groove or primer pocket!

BT

Ha, I actually know the story with this bullet.

The serrated tip is a copy of smaller bullet makers products but was adopted to use a set of tooling abandoned for another reason...

When it became necessary to change the wall thickness to compensate for the unsupported chamber in the Glock pistols the tooling was changed to try and recoup some use for the older tooling jackets were suggested - because brass does not form in the nose like softer copper without heat treating (changing the color) folding over is common to fix this cuts in the brass are made with a die that also moves in the corner and allows a specific overlap that looks like the reason was original and not a “make use” idea.

Many, mistakes or “covers” can be successful with the correct marketing BS slathered on top.

no34570
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Bt
You are my saviour,when I get enough of the folding stuff saved up,I'm going to put an order in for

44 Mag & Marlin 444
45/70
454 Casull
Love the thought of having an xtp bullet that I made,a soft point,a hp,the list is endless. [smilie=w:

You are the man!
:awesome: