PDA

View Full Version : Did i read that RanchDog dips his TL bullets?

tackstrp
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Did i read that RanchDog dips his TL bulletts in Alox mix? Could be i misread something.

imashooter2
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
No, that's what he does and it works well for him. Way too much trouble for me though. Film lube's major advantage is the reduction in handling time from doing 500 at once.

870TC
02-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Here is a link to how Ranch Dog lubes his bullets, Works great for Me!.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27079.0.html

tackstrp
02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
thanks . i can see the method would not work for me with short bullets. . doomed to life of wiping after all rounds loaded. doomed Still have my lyman 450 add one mold in 356 9mm that is not TL.

warf73
02-19-2011, 12:31 AM
thanks . i can see the method would not work for me with short bullets. . doomed to life of wiping after all rounds loaded. doomed Still have my lyman 450 add one mold in 356 9mm that is not TL.

You might want to try to 45/45/10 lube, from what I've read there is NO wiping.

Warf

krag35
02-19-2011, 01:11 AM
What is the 45/45/10 lube ?

tackstrp
02-19-2011, 02:06 AM
You might want to try to 45/45/10 lube, from what I've read there is NO wiping.

Warf

I am picky, like what is exposed to be bright and shiny. I cast hard bullets, dont want to gum up the feed ramp.

i use 60 % mimeral sprits and 40% alox. Some mix in johnson paste, I dont. Used wipe a little JPW on for the sizing, but now just use Pam or silicon spray,

warf73
02-19-2011, 02:45 AM
What is the 45/45/10 lube ?

Its a sticky at the top of the page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

Click on the above link will take you to it.

randyrat
02-19-2011, 02:51 AM
I heat my boolits up a little bit on a hot plate. Throw in some Carnauba wax and some thinned out Alox/mineral spirits, tumble them around and place on wax paper. They are ready to load in minutes, soon as they cool down. The lube is hard and it sticks good. Alox gives it just enough stickiness. No mess, quick, no fuss, no leading, no special equipment. this covers most of my shooting needs- pistol and moderate rifle loads ( up to about 2000/ft/sec). Higher velocities I use other lubes.

crabo
02-19-2011, 04:23 AM
You can always dust them with a little Mica if you want to run straight alox.

Recluse
02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I am picky, like what is exposed to be bright and shiny.

I'm picky too.

I'm picky about having nice, tight groups on the target, clean kill shots when hunting, and a clean, shiny bore when I'm done shooting.

Not quite as picky as how my boolits look. Pickier about how they perform.

:coffee:

randyrat
02-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I will say, Recluses post on tumble lubing is the best I've ever seen. Simple clear and easy to follow. Very good stuff. You have click on that link and check it out. Do it right and it is tough to tell whether the boolits have lube on them. Dries on hard and is clean looking.

btroj
02-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm picky too.

I'm picky about having nice, tight groups on the target, clean kill shots when hunting, and a clean, shiny bore when I'm done shooting.

Man, I love it when people say so much with so few words.

Results count. Period.

Well said Recluse. Well said.

Brad

10 ga
02-20-2011, 01:20 AM
RANCH-DOG, Thats a clue! On ranches they dip everything, tobacco, cattle, biscits, sheep, goats, dogs and boolits. :holysheep 10 ga

Ranch Dog
02-21-2011, 12:05 PM

tackstrp, that TL358-100-RF will pass through your Lyman and the Micro Bands will hold any lube. Just use an appropriate flat punch.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I heard he dips Garrett snuff too!

Rich

9.3X62AL
02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm picky too.

I'm not a TL user, so I really don't have a dog in this fight......but 22 LR seems to do good work with their noses all coated/covered in lube.

Good ol' Recluse, cutting right to the chase and excising the drama and foofahrah. CLASSIC!

sundog
02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Not too long ago one of our members here put us on to Mil/LEO/NRA Instr discounts at FN USA. Well, I got an FNP40, and it turns out to be a pretty good service pistol. I got both of the 175gr Lee moulds. Even though I've been reloading since early 70s, this is my first foray into the 40S&W. I cast a bunch of both type boolits. The traditional loob groove style went through a .401 H&I in the 450 with FWFL. I dipped the TL boolits in 50/50 LLA/OMS (oderless mineral spirits). Y'all seen the price on OMS lately? Wow! But I digress. The TL boolits were handled with bent needle nose pliers, dipped one at time and placed on wax paper on a cookie sheet ala RD. When dry they were passed through a Lee .401 sizer, then dipped again. Not really all that long a process. Both boolits were loaded in recycled range brass over a charge of AA#5 and performed quite well.

Conclussion: Dipping, even though it's the first time I've tried it, works just fine.

tackstrp
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
that TL358-100-RF will pass through your Lyman and the Micro Bands will hold any lube. Just use an appropriate flat punch.

thanks ranch dog .will try that . heating up my lyman 450 now. will try on the other 9mm TL . have not cast anything yet on the RD 358 TL 100 grain.

tackstrp
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Tempted to get rid of my TL 38 specail 158 grain and 10MM molds . have two of each. and go back to the old fashion way. My past experience running TL bullets through the lyman 450 with soft green lube fom bull plate were not impressive. Dont like soft lubes. Wil try using a orange magic this time . I dont have high hopes

tried on a TL 124 grain 9mm . not worth the effort . very little stuck.

Ole
02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I tried this method today and wow what a mess.

Ranch Dog must have steadier hands than me. I was dropping bullets and slinging ALOX all over the place. I do have a nice batch of 200 425RD's lubed up, but I won't be doing that anytime again soon. Back to pan lubing for me. :mrgreen:

res45
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I use the Ranch Dip method on my traditional grease groove bullets with my Alox/JPW lube. I apply the gas checks first then dip and stand my bullets up overnight and run them back through the sizer to clean them up. I only do about 100 at a time and they shoot great and bore is lead free.

I enjoy making bullets about as much as I do shooting them,they may be more convenient ways to get to the end result but I have more time than money.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/rhsikes/mis002.jpg

singleshot
02-28-2011, 11:09 PM
I tried this method today and wow what a mess.

Ranch Dog must have steadier hands than me. I was dropping bullets and slinging ALOX all over the place. I do have a nice batch of 200 425RD's lubed up, but I won't be doing that anytime again soon. Back to pan lubing for me. :mrgreen:

Yep, me too. Tried this and won't ever repeat the experience unless somebody puts a gun to my head. It's much easier to simply clean my bullet seating die occasionally.

Back to tumble lubing, but plan to get some JPW and mix 45/45/10 or just 50/50.