PDA

View Full Version : sticky sprue.

troy_mclure
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
im having a problem with a lyman 2 cav mould.

the lead sprue is sticking to the outer hole in the sprue plate, it takes some tapping to get the sprue knocked loose.

any tips to remedy this?

stubshaft
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
BULLPLATE

Check for burrs on it also.

RobS
02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
It could be another Lyman issue. Some of their sprue plates are not drilled down far enough leaving a thick sprue flash for cutting and this can also make it hard to get the sprue to fall from the sprue plate. One can remedy this by using a drill bit or counter sink and working the sprue fill hole down until there is a thin cutting edge.

troy_mclure
02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
BULLPLATE

Check for burrs on it also.

already tried bullplate

Heavy lead
02-17-2011, 11:44 PM
It could be another Lyman issue. Some of their sprue plates are not drilled down far enough leaving a thick sprue flash for cutting and this can also make it hard to get the sprue to fall from the sprue plate. One can remedy this by using a drill bit or counter sink and working the sprue fill hole down until there is a thin cutting edge.

This is the problem, I had a newly aquired 454424 a couple of years ago, *** cast a 449 boolit and the sprue plate did the same thing.
It's in the scrap heap, the whole lot of it and is the last Lyman I will buy.

Bret4207
02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
If the hole is too shallow a simple counter sink, cone shaped stone or even a good sharp drill bit will alleviate the issue. Rubbing the sprue depression with a carpenters pencil often helps and so does polishing/sharpening the bottom of the plate.

kbstenberg
02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Troy I'm in the same boat. I have an older Lyman I bought used. Know I know why the previous owner didn't use it much!

sturf
02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Try leveling the surfaces of the top of mould and bottom of sprue plate. I do this on every one i buy. None of them (Lee, Lyman etc.) come from the factory flat.

casterofboolits
02-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Try leveling the surfaces of the top of mould and bottom of sprue plate. I do this on every one i buy. None of them (Lee, Lyman etc.) come from the factory flat.

+1. I stone the the sprue plate flat and remove sharp edges on all new mould sprue plates. I do the same for the tops of iron moulds. Lee moulds are at the top of the list for poor sprue plates.