PDA

View Full Version : New to Casting, Can I get a start up list of Essentials?

blasternank
02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm getting stuff ready to go and get some casting equipment. Could you guys list what I would need? Here's what I am thinking I need:

1. Molds
2. furnace
3. a dipper
4. Cast Iron dutch oven
5. Lead, etc.

I've been reading as much as I can so I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot but just guide me in the right direction. I know some stuff might just be fluff and others are essential. Thanks for all your help. I don't know how much I'll be casting so I probably won't want to buy super expensive stuff.

Thanks.

Lee
02-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Money.
More money.
Still more money.
Seriously get your most favorite molds first. Winter is a great time to sit around casting. Even a 2-holer can make a lotta boolits in January.
Get all the lead you can. Tin, linotype also. Don't go stupid on price, just get it.
Plumbing buddies, tire store buddies, remodeling buddies are all sources for lead products. Bow down to them, kiss their feet, and grab all you can. It's only gonna get worse. The molds will come in time. You need a turkey frier for Thanksgiving, and for smelting in July.
Keep your eyes open for a luber. Worth the investment. Talk to others on this site for gas checks. I don't believe in them right now, might change by tomorrow.
Assume that the SHTF, you need your common calibers. Anything after that is gravy. ANY kind of ball mold will prolly fit in a 12-20 gauge shotgun if needed.
Stock up on powder/primers. All the lead in the world will not save your a** if you have no means to launch it. (sling shots not included!)
A used mold is better than no mold at alll..........:razz:

02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
The Cast Bullet Handbook, by Lyman, is the best published source of casting information and equipment. In addition, their many hundreds of loads are specific to cast boolits. There are four editions...take your pick. Read it/them a couple of times. It'll be invaluable.

waksupi
02-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Most important thing to do, is to go through the classics and sticky forum here. 97% of all questions will be answered already in there.

Welcome aboard.

Bret4207
02-18-2011, 07:07 AM
You pretty much have the list- pot, heat source , ladle, mould. That's it for the essentials.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Going through as much information as you can here, will help when you get ready to cast. You will be dealing with temperatures that you may not be used to. 700 degrees is pretty darn hot. Good protective gear is needed.

oldhickory
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Lee pretty much nailed it. I started off in '73 with a Coleman stove, small Dutch oven, ladle, 1 mold, a pie pan, and a push through sizer that mounted in a vice. Now I've got an entire out building dedicated to casting/reloading...And I don't have enough room!:Fire:

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-18-2011, 08:31 AM
A micrometer that will measure to .0001, and the knowledge to use it. Handy tool! :mrgreen:

sturf
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
How does your wife feel about another mortgage?

sturf
02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
A micrometer that will measure to .0001, and the knowledge to use it. Handy tool! :mrgreen:

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life". John 3:16

"For God did not send His Son into the world to condem the world, but that the world through Him might be saved". John 3:17

"He who believes in Him is not condemed; but he who does not believe is condemed already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God". John 3:18

I hope you all have a great day and God bless.

Trey45
02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
You need a STURDY bench to work off of. There's a reason they coined the term "heavy as lead"... lead is HEAVY, your work bench needs to be sturdy and stable. You'll need a place to drop your boolits from the mold, a table with several folded soft towells on it keep the boolits from denting when dropped, or you need a 5 gallon bucket of water to water drop. Or both.

You need to start thinking about your casting clothes. Personally I have one pair of heavy denim jeans that I wear every time I cast, there's no sense in ruining several pairs of good jeans when I can ruin just one. Leather BOOTS, not shoes, boots so if there is a spill or splatter or the dreaded tinsel fairy visits, you don't get hot lead down inside your shoe. NEVER ever wear shorts to cast. A long sleeve cotton or flannel shirt, not nylon or other synthetic. Those melt to your skin when hot lead hits it. Some folks wear a clear plastic face shield, others wear goggles, I wear safety glasses and a ball cap. Gloves! You need a good pair of gloves that will allow you the dexterity you will need, and still provide some heat protection.

Keep the TV off, keep the radio off, or on low volume, keep your cell phone in another room, inform other residents of your domicile that they are NOT to disturb you while you are casting, you will be required to use 100% of your concentration while casting, even a small lapse can cause you serious injury. ALWAYS keep in mind, the molten metal you are in very close proximity to is over 750 degrees F. Keep your pets out of your casting room, a distraction can cause them to get burned, or you to get burned.

Casting has the potential to be very dangerous, but the more attention to detail you have, the less risk there is of injury. The potential is always there, it never leaves, it's how you handle the details that dictates the level of risk you are exposed to.

Tazman1602
02-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Lee pretty much nailed it. You start doing this then have some sucess at it and whatever other hobbies you have get put in the corner.

If I have one more NOE, MIHA, or BRP mold come through the door wifey is going to give me a significant emotional experience..

Art

onondaga
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Some easy stuff to get is a couple of aluminum brownie pans, one for cut sprues and one for bullets. A can for dross and spoon. Some bees wax and some sawdust in convenient containers. A small leather mallet or wooden baton for mold opening. Neverseize for mold lube. A small towel for the bullet drop pan.

Gary

Echo
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Plus One for most of the above. My own recommendations - haunt eBay for equipment. Lee makes good (not necessarily Great) equipment, and a bottom-pour furnace can be had for maybe $50 delivered. Lee molds will do a very good job, but read, and perform, the 'leementing' procedure for any you buy, and I suggest buying them new from one of the many suppliers. And the Lee sizing system is effective, and cheap. If the budget allows, find a Lyman or RCBS/LAM lube/sizer for maybe $80 delivered. Sizing dies are another $20 each.

It is very possible to put together a satisfactory system for under $200. If you decide it's not for you, you aren't out much, and can recover most from eBay again. If you decide you enjoy the hobby, better equipment is available - all it takes is rectangular dollars!

And YMMV...

blasternank
02-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the great replies!

357 Voodoo
02-18-2011, 11:46 PM
all of the above and

BULLPLATE:bigsmyl2:

45nut
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Patience

1Shirt
02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
What everybody has said! And, I suggest you find a long time caster in your area that can mentor you as you go along. He will save you a whoop of whoes!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Char-Gar
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
The first thing you need is a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Buy it, read it, and then you will know what else you need. When you ask for advise on this and other boards, what you get are mostly opinions. The Lyman book will provide you with facts. You will also have learned to be a "self feeder" when it comes to cast bullet knowledge.

mroliver77
02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
You dont have to use cast iron. A sturdy steel pot or a cut off tank of some sort works well. I use a Wal Mart hot plate and a 1 quart steel sauce pan for ladle casting. The Lee dipper sucks for casting. The Lyman or RCBS ladles are worlds better and not very costly.
As Gary said a metal can with a good fitting lid is a must for dross(junk skimmed from the melt) storage. The dross is most dangerous part of casting as far as getting lead in your system. Handled properly it is not an issue.
Do yourself a favor and buy a couple sticks of good lube to get started. White lable or Bullshop both have a large following and are vendors on Cast Boolits.If you shoot pistol I would start casting for one. Most Lee molds cast a boolit close enough in size that boolits can be used without sizing. Read up on boolit size.
You can get started with very little $$$ out if you try. If the cast bug gets you you can always upgrade later. Many will try to tell you to buy a bottom pour pot right away. It is not necessary as many prefer the ladle method. Without writing a book that is my $.02
Jay