PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

Sully
02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Get a newbie started right now...

FINALLY got the RCBS Luber/sizer cleaned out of some NASTY *** grease that must have been in there since the battle of Shiloh..? Stunk to hi heaven and was "green"...??

Thankfully the heater I bought ran for about 45 minutes and had it warmed enough it came out in nasty looking "green" hunks.

Now to put some new in! I have some RCBS...which IS green colored??? and Jakes sort of amber colored stuff thats 50/50 mix.

Which would YOU start out with??

stubshaft
02-17-2011, 08:59 PM
What are you planning to shoot?

Sully
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
What are you planning to shoot?

44 caliber...215-250 LSWC...900-1200 fps

Green Frog
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the 50-50 Beeswax-Alox blends, IMHO. Plus they have the advantage of being very stable in the lube pump... they won't degrade and turn green! :mrgreen: I shot a lot of .44 mag loads at those steel animals standing far away, an any failure was always attributable to operator error!

Froggie

Sully
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the 50-50 Beeswax-Alox blends, IMHO. Plus they have the advantage of being very stable in the lube pump... they won't degrade and turn green! :mrgreen: I shot a lot of .44 mag loads at those steel animals standing far away, an any failure was always attributable to operator error!

Froggie

I'll start with your advice Froggie! Thanks.

Not sure what brand of lube was in that thing when I got it ( used from e-bay and in mint condition) but it was green when I was digging it out of there and it STUNK to high heaven...whew! ( I found out later that RCBS lube is green colored)

fryboy
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
dont quote me on this but ... it used to be that rcbs lube came in two flavors , pistol and rifle , pistol was greenish colored and rifle was more of a beige color , the current rcbs page only shows one lube ( i'm betting pistol as it's the only one in stock at midway - who also has 3 reviews of said product ) the composition isnt noted ( only for the rifle @ 50-50 )