PDA

View Full Version : Best beginners swage press IMOP!

BT Sniper
02-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Here you go guys! Many of you all ready have the Lee Classic Cast Press and I have found that it is a great platform to improve upon. It does have two week spots apperently (though I have not had any problems) in the link and the round part that holds the handel in place. A $4 fix and $10 fix is CHEAP insurance to save damageing the dies!

I have put the PSI to this press and think it has what it takes to be a great beginners press for swaging and add a couple simple BT Sniper upgrades it will serve you well in my opinion (IMO for those not caught up on the abbrevation).

Check it out! Ejector and threaded ram top, or can still be used with conventional shell holder base punches too but once a few of you get fimilar with this set up there is no compairing!

By the way a sneak peak at my upcoming custom dies as one of them sits in the ready position :)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/pressupgrade002.jpg

Swage On

BT Sniper

BT Sniper
02-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Not just an ordinary Lee Classic but notice new linkage between handle and ram. Allows more leverage at same time decreses unnecessary travel of ram. Also my auto ejector bottom support arm is attached to the ram with the new dedicated swage ram top adapter that is screwed into ram. This new ram top is allso threaded to accept simple 1/2 fine threaded base punches (as shone in pic). The ejector is able to swivel in whatever position is most comfortable to you and only takes a matter of seconds to install or remove and replace with standard ram for reloading.

This set up I believe will allow you to increase production while decreasing fatigue. No more having to swing the hammer to eject bullets. No need for expensive swage press. Used correctly this set up will handle nearly anything we throw at it. It is as simple as I can imagine and build all the time being quite affordable.

I just finalized this new design as it is an upgrade from my previous attempts. I will be putting it threw the paces very soon and expect great things.

I plan to offer an upgrade kit soon with the new ram top and ejector. Ask any of the guys here using an ejector what they think vs. a hammer. This is one of those tools you will wonder how you ever lived without and to those lucky enough to start their swaging experience with a set up like this you're experience in this hobby will be that much more enjoyable.

The way I figure one should be able to buy the Lee Classic press and my upgraded ram top with ejector for only a few dollers more the the cost of a new RCBS Rockchucker.

RCBS rock hucker goes for about $145 average and the Lee Classic cast can still be found for $75. Now add my custom swage ram top and ejector for around $125 and you have a complete swage press ready to go for only $65 more then the RCBS rockchucker press by its self!

The factory so called swage ram for the RCBS goes for $75 and is not even ready to use. Plus you would still be short the ejector at a cost of around $125 there is more lobor cost to make it fit the RC.

I may even be able to convince Lee to offer me a mail in rebate towards the Classic cast press purchase. Don't know about this one but I plan to look into it.

The more I look into this offer the more I like it. I am seriously considering changing out all my presses for this one set up.

Let me know if anyone is iterested in a upgrade kit like this for the Lee press. I could get them together in short order.

Thanks

BT

Jailer
02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Well of course you know I would be interested in one. :D

Ken T
02-18-2011, 03:00 AM
If you ship to Canada I would be interested in this upgrade kit.

Cheers!

hunter2
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Can you ship one out tomorrow with 375?

BT Sniper
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
You guys are awesome! LOL! Ship tommorow, truthfully No, small town, PO is closed on weekends and I think Monday is government holiday so first chance of any thing shipping is Tuesday. I only have 3 of these potentially in stock. It was a two year quest for me perfecting this set up and I really think I have a winner here. I suppose I need to make an official offer now and start taking orders. I'll get a pic and new thread up soon.

The 375 is a popular request around here. I don't have a die made yet. I don't shoot 375 yet so I need to research the bullet a bit. What type of bullet are you looking for? Cartridge you are shooting? Bullet profile you looking for? Weights? etc. I want to be able to taylor dies to the needs of customers.

I am positive I can ship this tool to Canada without worry. PM me.

Thanks

BT

ReloaderFred
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
I believe there would be two different levels for .375 bullets. One level would cover the .38-55/.375 Winchester range, and the other would cover the .375 H&H range.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BT Sniper
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
375 RUM I guess would fit in the 375 H&H? So basicly a pistol bullet offering (38-55)and a riffle bullet (H&H, RUM, etc.) offering?

I have alwasy been found of long range shooting. Got a 338 RUM IMP that uses necked down 375 RUM. Imagine a 350ish grain 1.0 ish BC bullet in a 375. That would be fun, but for a simple bullet die I'll stick with a much more traditional bullet offering in the 375.

BT

BwBrown
02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
"PO is closed on weekends and I think Monday is government holiday"

Brian, If t would be easier to just deliver, I could give you the GPS coordinates for your Garmin - I'm just a bit straight east in PA!
Bob

Jailer
02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Well if you are making an offer, sign me up for one. Let me know total price including shipping and I'll get a check out in the mail to you.

Wayne Smith
02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
375 RUM I guess would fit in the 375 H&H? So basicly a pistol bullet offering (38-55)and a riffle bullet (H&H, RUM, etc.) offering?

I have alwasy been found of long range shooting. Got a 338 RUM IMP that uses necked down 375 RUM. Imagine a 350ish grain 1.0 ish BC bullet in a 375. That would be fun, but for a simple bullet die I'll stick with a much more traditional bullet offering in the 375.

BT

38-55 is a rifle cartridge, BP originally, but a rifle cartridge.

hunter2
02-19-2011, 01:40 AM
375 - 350ish up to 400 maybe. Make jackets out of 223 and 38,357 annealed. Believe that is right. This will be my first go at this thing. Maybe I was a little optismistic on mailing it tomorrow. I am a patient man, tuesday will be OK....

BT Sniper
02-19-2011, 03:13 AM
[smilie=l: Your killing me but with a smile on my face. I did look into the 375 cal bullets today and as always with any new bullet possiblity I WANT ONE! Well I can wait on the gun but the dies I am going as fast as I can. I don't want to make any promises I can't keep but I do hope to have first ones avialble in about two months time.

Since Mr. Hunter is a patient man and a bit of a comic too I will counter with a bit of hummor myself. I'll tell you what, How about I do my best to put a die in your hands before the fall hunting season :) That should be a pretty safe bet but I hope for sooner ofcourse.

As for the press upgrade kit I need to take a picture of exactly what I am offering with final cost and time frame. I will do this over the weekend and make a new thread with official offer and order list.

Thanks for the support guys!

BT

jixxerbill
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
best "beginner" press imho is the bssp press... cheaper than corbin and less of a waiting list...here is his number...318-387-7257..larry blackmon...when i got mine it was $150.00. its not a souped up RELOADING press its an actual swaging press. very sturdy, well made and will last a lifetime.

torker
02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
jixxerbill: not familiar with that swaging press, Could you, or would you post a picture of it?
curious as to see what it looks like.
Thanks

ANeat
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I think Jixxer has a good point,

Here is a pic of one from a thread over at the benchrest forum

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/tenxal/2-3.jpg

hunter2
02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Is it beefie enough? Looks like the rcbs rc has a heavier frame. Can it handle longer heavier bullets?

ANeat
02-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Is it beefie enough? Looks like the rcbs rc has a heavier frame. Can it handle longer heavier bullets?

The links that go to where the top die mounts make all the difference in strength.

The beef of the press frame is much less an issue when the linkage is like that. Much less stress is applied to the middle part of the press/frame.

Most reloading press's have the linkage attatched to the bottom and the press frame is put under a lot more stress that with the linkage at the top.

That plus the fact the a dedicated "swage" press has less stroke and more handle travel. That equals more leverage, more power, less user strain.

Ive got a bunch of mods to my Lee press and its better, even to shorten the stroke and improve the leverage, but its no swage press

bohica2xo
02-19-2011, 03:55 PM
best "beginner" press imho is the bssp press... cheaper than corbin and less of a waiting list...here is his number...318-387-7257..larry blackmon...when i got mine it was $150.00. its not a souped up RELOADING press its an actual swaging press. very sturdy, well made and will last a lifetime.

"Less" of a waiting list - but still a list. How long currently?

"When I got mine it was $150.00" How long ago was that? What is the current price?

What dies does it run?

Will the CH dies fit?

If off the shelf dies do not fit, what is the wait for dies to fit the press currently?

B.

NoZombies
02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
The Press from Dr Blackmon is still $150 as far as I know. The dies are either the Dr's dies, or Corbin M-type.

I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions.

jixxerbill
02-19-2011, 07:20 PM
"Less" of a waiting list - but still a list. How long currently?

"When I got mine it was $150.00" How long ago was that? What is the current price?

What dies does it run?

Will the CH dies fit?

If off the shelf dies do not fit, what is the wait for dies to fit the press currently?

B.

lol whole idea of me posting his phone number !!! if u interested call him ??

torker
02-19-2011, 10:19 PM
This is the one I'm using. It performs well, and is much easier on operator. As someone mentioned above, A dedicated swaging press is the way to go. Very reasonable on price. Might as well spend a nickel more and have no grief later on.

No upgrades to purchase, Linkages, ejectors, etc.

bohica2xo
02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
lol whole idea of me posting his phone number !!! if u interested call him ??

So you owe that press, but can't tell me a thing about it? OK.

jixxerbill
02-20-2011, 12:47 AM
So you owe that press, but can't tell me a thing about it? OK.

yes i own a bssp press....i bought it about 2 years ago for $150.00 US...whats the price now I have no idea!!...the dies are 5/8-24 if im not mistaken in the ram and the press is 7/8-14...i dont own ch dies so i have no idea if they fit....i make my own dies so i have no idea of the wait time......like i said call him !!!!!??? what else do u need to know ? aneat posted a picture of it and someone else said it was still $150.00 any other info would need to come from dr. blackmon......bill

jixxerbill
02-20-2011, 12:51 AM
This is the one I'm using. It performs well, and is much easier on operator. As someone mentioned above, A dedicated swaging press is the way to go. Very reasonable on price. Might as well spend a nickel more and have no grief later on.

No upgrades to purchase, Linkages, ejectors, etc.

agreed....and no broken parts to replace !.....bill

a.squibload
02-20-2011, 04:13 AM
...This new ram top is allso threaded to accept simple 1/2 fine threaded base punches...

BT:
Suppose I could get the new ram top and threaded base punches for .40 and .44 (no ejector assy.)?

Haven't used my swage dies much so can't judge the stress on the shellholder ramtop,
but might be worth the expense for the stronger setup.

Got my pot, stand and burner working today...[smilie=w:...
should be able to crank out some cores soon.
Intend to drill the Lee lower links for leverage.
Almost there!

BT Sniper
02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Sure thing squibload. Send me a PM so I don't forget. We can allways add an ejector to it later if need be.

BT

BT Sniper
02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Removed post. I had a bit of a rough weekend, family is very sick and I was on very little sleep. My comments may not have reflected my better side. Sorry to bring the dirty laundry to the table. This is a great sight and I certainly enjoy how everyone keeps it a postive place to hang out.

Thanks,

BT

BwBrown
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm not so sure things need to get so strongly stated, Each of our perceived needs will evolve over time and experience. I would hope that when we need or choose to move on it could be done in a civil way.

I contacted Blackmon as I started getting into swaging, and it was nearly three months 'till I even got a catalog or pricelist. While others may have had a different experience, I took it as a sign.

I bought my S press used on this swap/sell forum and had it in three days. My BT dies took about three weeks. My corbin dies, also from the forum - took less than a week at an amazing price. I bought my 224 Hemp dies on ebay, fair price and fast shipping.

Each "flavor" of system, Corbin, Corbin, Blackmon, BT, or Detsch will appeal in price, availability and technical mechanical design. I made choices based on a combination of a lot of factors, and have ended up with a mix of brands of press and dies and am pretty much happy with all of them.

BT, Daywalker, Fred, you have all had positive influence in this new-found aspect of the hobby for me. Thank you.
Bob

BT Sniper
02-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks BW,

I would be thrilled if everyone was able to step up and buy a better press for swaging. Be it built by whoever. The more positive swaging experiences we have the better IMO.

BT

ReloaderFred
02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
You've helped me, BT. Keep up the good work.

Fred

jgt
02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I have been swaging with a BSSP press and Larry Blackmon dies for many years. I think these dies and presses are top notch and have served me well.
I started watching the things BT sniper was doing and thought I would like to give his ideas a try because it was a way to make jacketed bullets from commonly available materials without being held hostage by the supply system.
When the last panic took place and the public emptied the store shelves of ammunition and reloading componants I was not affected by it as I had seen it all before and was prepared. So I appreicate being able to get set up in a way I can opperate during such times.
I am the person that ordered the die set for non-hollow point bullets. The order was mixed up and I recieve a hollow point set instead. I decided to keep them and order another punch for flat nosed bullet and contacted BT sniper with my request to purchase another punch. When he found out what happened he sent me the punch free of charge even though I was willing to pay him for it. That is darn fine customer service in my opinion since I decided to keep the hollow point punch and didn't inform him of the mix up untill a couple of months later.
I do not know any of you and have no dog in this fight but as I have read the entries that have been posted I was pained to see the infighting that is developing over peoples opinions. This is America, we are free to have differing opionions. I can see both sides of this squabble and want to encourage all parties to agree to dissagree. It is ok to have your opinion, and let others have theirs. We do not have to take care of anyone. New folks will find their way just as each of us did. They can read what people have to say and make their decisions. Remember this is the internet and you can not see facial expressions or hear voice inflections, tones, or soft or hardness. The written word can be interpeted completely different from what the writer meant when a reader hears a harsh tone in his head as he is reading what was written with a soft tone in the writers head. Let us give each other the respect and trust we would want for ourselves. SO, let's remember we are brother Americans and in this day and time we will be well served to treat one another like it. Respectfully ...........jgt

bigted
02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
wow am i impressed. i am one of those that knows nothing...i mean nothing about swaging so i started to read thru these posts to be better educated on the art only to find an old womens catfight here. i only wanted to maybe swage some smooth sided boolits from lead that i may be able to wrap with paper to shoot with my blackpowder cartridge guns ...but not knowing the first thing about what you good-ol-boys are scrapping about...im more confused then ever...thanks fellers and im hoping that the other threads i read will not be cluttered with so much high n mighty and maybe have more how to involved with pictures of bullets and the machinery involved in making them.

my humble opinion is that for you "PROFESSIONALS" needing to swing yer nuts...maybe you could do so in private and leave this thread/posts to be an educational experience.

I M H O

jgt
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
All families squbble. Believe me, from what I have seen, these guys are some fine people and will bend over backwards to help anyone they can.

a.squibload
02-22-2011, 03:08 AM
...i only wanted to maybe swage some smooth sided boolits from lead that i may be able to wrap with paper to shoot with my blackpowder cartridge guns ...

I think somewhere back in the development thread for the one-step dies
the thought of swaging lead (without jackets) in these sort of dies was briefly discussed,
don't see why it wouldn't work if you choose a die with the dimensions you need.
You paper-patch guys are about to drag me into that side of reloading too,
then I'll be spending, er SAVING lots more money, right?

Tom R
02-22-2011, 04:10 AM
I think It would be in the best interest of everyone here to delete this thread. It does not reflect what this sight is about and I think is is out of character for the members on here.
I do not post much I prefer to read but I have to say this is the first time I have come across something like this on this forum.
If I am out of line then I will gladly retract my comment.

Southern Son
02-22-2011, 04:29 AM
I think somewhere back in the development thread for the one-step dies
the thought of swaging lead (without jackets) in these sort of dies was briefly discussed,
don't see why it wouldn't work if you choose a die with the dimensions you need.
You paper-patch guys are about to drag me into that side of reloading too,
then I'll be spending, er SAVING lots more money, right?

I know what you mean. With all this casting and shooting and paper patching and gear needed to do it, I have "saved" so much money I am broke?:-D

BT Sniper
02-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Sorry guys I had a rough weekend. My little girls are very sick and I was on little to no sleep. I edited or removed my posts as I'm sure my commments may not have reflected my better side. I offer my appoligies to those I may have offended and welcome them to edit or remove their posts as well if they like.

I certainly enjoy the postive forum we have here to share ideas and I will do my best to keep it that way.

BT

randmplumbingllc
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I think It would be in the best interest of everyone here to delete this thread. It does not reflect what this sight is about and I think is is out of character for the members on here.
I do not post much I prefer to read but I have to say this is the first time I have come across something like this on this forum.
If I am out of line then I will gladly retract my comment.

I have to disagree. No one thinks this reflects what this site is about. It shows that there are other opinions and views on everything.

I have deleted posts before, on request and I won't do it again.

That is the idea behind a forum. It is supposed to be a place to voice your opinion.....good, bad or whatever.

MIBULLETS
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
That is the idea behind a forum. It is supposed to be a place to voice your opinion.....good, bad or whatever.

I agree with this in general, but I believe this was about to become an attack on character, I would just assume not see that here. If you have personal beef with someone, take it off line...

randmplumbingllc
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with this in general, but I believe this was about to become an attack on character, I would just assume not see that here. If you have personal beef with someone, take it off line...

I think you are right, that there should not be any personal attacks. I think that people should think about what they say BEFORE they hit that little "submit reply" button.

I have had to stop myself a few times and decided not to reply to comments on threads.

People need to see thing as they really are. Not just the good, warm, fuzzy feeling stuff, but the other stuff too.

Again, the readers here need to see all the +'s and -'s of this hobby and make up their own minds.

There is always a different opinion out there about everything. I think it is a great thing that we have the freedom to voice them.

That is what makes this forum great and that is what makes this country great.

I would rather read all the posts and decide for myself what I think is true, not find all kinds of deleted posts and have to wonder what was said or what happend, but that is just MY OPINION.

Tom R
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I really like the information on the presses and the dies. I just did not like that it got personal. I felt it was also in bt,s best interest as a business man to delete his posts. The thread had some great info. I did not know about the Blackmon press. I in no way have a bad thought or feeling towards this thread as of now. I was just shocked when I read it the first time.