PDA

View Full Version : Mystery die, please help me identify it

JBMauser
11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I bought a lot of dies on ebay, I love adventure. This one has me stumped. I will attach a pic and some dimensions. . Outside marking: main die body 478 which is the dia. Of the bottom opening after a taper. 450A is stamped on the top knob. The steel sliding sleeve is stamped 24. This die has a tapered mouth like a sizer, the dia. of .478 is only 1/8 in. as it ends 1/2 in from the bottom edge of the die. inside is a 1 in. sleeve with a hole through it and a tapered mouth and an edge. This sleeve fits against a depth adjusting screw threw which a top rod slips. the top rod only measures 1 in. as well so it never makes it through the sleeve. The rod also has a taper similar to a pencil point angle and it is hollow. for .6 in. Lets see if I can get a pic loaded. I wondered if there was a part misssing like a rod that fed up into it but then why the tapered mouth. then again what does it do?

Bigjohn
11-17-2006, 12:11 AM
JB;

The die you describe is very simular to a straight line bullet seater.

The sliding collar sits on the shoulders of the case and the projectile sits on the mouth of the case within the sliding collar and the whole assembly rises until the tip of the projectile contacts the fixed rod which then seats the projectile as everything continues on the upward travels.

Adjustments for length would be made on the collar stops etc.

This type of die is available in many forms from different die makers.

:coffee:

John.

A check of your drawings indicate that it may be for one of the .243" cartridges.

JBMauser
11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Sounds logical. I guess the 450A on the top and the 478 on the die body tossed me a curve. I guess I could open up the sliding element to accept my 6.5X55 Sweede. I will have to look into this. thanks for the quick call. JN