PDA

View Full Version : 92FS safety question

Lead melter
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I realize that this thread in no way concerns the use of boolits, but do hope I will be forgiven.

I recently picked up a Beretta 92FS in used condition and, of course, with no manual. I have noticed that when the decocker is put into the 'fire' position a slight trigger squeeze will bring the hammer back to a 'set' position removing the firing pin from contact with a primer.

My question is, is this a safe way to carry this pistol or should the decocker be engaged at all times unless ready to fire?

Geraldo
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
If I understand you correctly, the hammer is not fully cocked nor fully down. I've never seen anyone recommend this as a carry method. I was taught that the lever was a decocker, not a safety. Everybody I knew who carried a DA/SA (either 92F or 5900 series S&W) carried them hammer down, lever up, ready to go. YMMV

CLAYPOOL
02-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Most of the used Police trade in's that are on the market in a 96 / .40 cal. are in nice shape. They sell the parts missing ones as gun smith specials...doesn't sound good to me. I would have a gun smith check that out..
CLAYPOOL

S.R.Custom
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
...I have noticed that when the decocker is put into the 'fire' position a slight trigger squeeze will bring the hammer back to a 'set' position...

This is what is referred to as "half-cock." It is one of the safety measures on the gun, not a carry mode. It's purpose is to catch the hammer should it fall off the sear at full set, or in the event that the sear fails to set when firing single action.

2shot
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
If I understand you correctly, the hammer is not fully cocked nor fully down. I've never seen anyone recommend this as a carry method. I was taught that the lever was a decocker, not a safety. Everybody I knew who carried a DA/SA (either 92F or 5900 series S&W) carried them hammer down, lever up, ready to go. YMMV

This is true! And this is why Berreta came out with the 92-G. No saftey just a decocker for LE work.

2shot

MtGun44
02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
You seem to be under the misconception that with the hammer all the
way forward the firing pin is against the primer. THIS IS NOT CORRECT.

The firing pin is a bunch shorter than the tunnel it rides in. It has to be hit and
FLY forward to hit the primer, cannot touch it statically. Using the half cock is
not a good plan. All the way down is ULTRA safe, even with safety off .

Bill

Blammer
02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Mtgun44 has it right.

I have a 92fs and that's how it works.

just for grins once I put in a round (primer only) put the safety off, hammer down and then proceede to beat the snot out of the hammer with a soft piece of wood in an attempt to make it fire. Didn't happen, won't happen.

thenaaks
02-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I would not carry with the lever set to decock. You'll be able to pull the trigger, but the gun won't fire. I would either carry with the safety off (just like it's a da revolver) or safety on, so you wouldn't be misled by the ability to pull the trigger.

Combat Diver
02-18-2011, 06:30 AM
The Beretta 92FS has two modes of carry. Hammer down on a live round safety on or hammer down on a live round safe off. How you carry is dependent on how you train. I've carried my M9 on safe since 85' and train swiping the safety off as I clear leather (same matter when I carry cocked and locked with either a M1911,Coonan or CZ75). Your gun is working normally.

CD

MtGun44
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
CD,

I train M9/B92students to do a second swipe at the safety with weak hand thumb as the
two hand grip is formed to ensure that the darned thing is OFF. It is especially easy to
accidentally reapply the safety when reloading from slide lock by pulling back on
the slide rather than thumbing down the slide release with weak hand thumb. Or you
can just have missed it with the strong thumb as you made the draw.

M9 is what they issue, so training must deal with reality. I'm sure that a reload in
a firefight with the pistol will be very rare, but if it happens you probably need that
next round NOW not 5 sec later as you figure out you accidentally reapplied the
safety.

Double safety stroke.

Bill

That'll Do
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Here's a link to a PDF of the manual. You should definitely have one.

92FS Manual: http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/Beretta_SERIE92.pdf