PDA

View Full Version : Us model 1917 remington rifle targetsights?

badbob454
02-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Where can i find a target, ladder type sight, for my model 1917 30-06 rifle i have the original but the appiture is too large for moa shooting my old eyes need something better

elk hunter
02-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Assuming you want to use the original sight you could braze or possibly epoxy the peep closed and re-drill it to the size you want, or if you want to save the original buy another one from Numrich and have it altered.

badbob454
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
thanks elk hunter , i guess that is my only option... ill look into Numrich as i dont want to ruin the originality of this fine rifle,,, i was hoping someone had an old williams or redfield peepsight made for this

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Where can i find a target, ladder type sight, for my model 1917 30-06 rifle i have the original but the appiture is too large for moa shooting my old eyes need something better

I've had pretty good results with the outside piece of a Pop rivet filed down to an interference fit in the hole, with a little dab of black paint. Easy to undo, too.

Ben
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
badbobgerman :

I find this a little confusing :

ill look into Numrich as i dont want to ruin the originality of this fine rifle,,, i was hoping someone had an old williams or redfield peepsight made for this

if you find a peepsight and have the receiver drilled and tapped for the sight, wouldn't you alter the original rifle and kill the value as far as an original specimen goes ? I don't know of a way to mount a peep sight ( made by the manufacturers you've mentioned ) without altering the rifle with the drill and tap process that is required to mount the peep sight.

Jon K
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I was going to do this for a buddy, it's on the back burner now......but you can get a replacement sight, drill & tap and make small flanged aperture with sized hole you need. I thought several different sizes for various lighting conditions.(.045-.090)

Aperture to screw in from muzzle side, so it can be folded down and fit into the recess of the sight base, and you would still have the large sight hole for quick close tatgets. Screwing the aperture from the back will obscure the sight when folded down. Don't ask how I know this.[smilie=b:

Same can be done with Enfield.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

fireball168
02-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Find a Parker Hale 5B for it.

badbob454
02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
badbobgerman :

I find this a little confusing :

ill look into Numrich as i dont want to ruin the originality of this fine rifle,,, i was hoping someone had an old williams or redfield peepsight made for this

if you find a peepsight and have the receiver drilled and tapped for the sight, wouldn't you alter the original rifle and kill the value as far as an original specimen goes ? I don't know of a way to mount a peep sight ( made by the manufacturers you've mentioned ) without altering the rifle with the drill and tap process that is required to mount the peep sight.

sorry to confuse i would buy an extra sight to alter, saving my original hope this clears things up

badbob454
02-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I've had pretty good results with the outside piece of a Pop rivet filed down to an interference fit in the hole, with a little dab of black paint. Easy to undo, too.

this sounds easiest and would look good too think ill try it first thanks all you shootists out there '' live long and prosper ''

walltube
02-17-2011, 12:43 PM

a square of black poster board cut to size to cover the peep-hole; serrated, anti-glare side facing you. Apply 'white' glue to poster surface and press onto sight. After the glue has satisfactorily dried you may then puncture a hole in the paper with a sewing needle of appropriate size that suits you. I applied "Birchwood-Casey, 'SuperBlack' " for a matte, glare free surface. This worked for my P14 without altering its "as issued" condition.

My oldest son has fitted a P-H5B to his pristine Winchester M1917 with no damaging alteration. A simple, straight forward installation. No problems (as yet) complying with "as issued" rules for mil-surp matches.

Finding a good to fine condition Parker-Hale 5B may pose a challenge. A search on e-Bay may be your best bet. Son's 5B was bought via e-Bay from a seller in Kiwi Land. My P-H 5A from a seller in Chicago.

HTH and good luck to you, enjoy your M1917.

Yours Truly,
Harold

JMtoolman
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Bob, you might try something I have done to reduce peep sight holes. I found some very small O ring made for carbs. I used superglue to hold them in the peep and used a toothpick to apply superglue to hold them there. Then they can always be removed without any damage if you want to return to stock. The toolman

catboat
02-21-2011, 01:06 AM
I remember reading something about this very topic years ago (adjustable receiver/windage adj for 1917).

I believe the solution was the use of the rear sight from a Browning 30 caliber machine gun, or maybe a BAR.

I had a M1917 a few years ago, and was thinking the same thought you are having now.

The retrofit was not a direct drop it job, but as I remember wasn't too involved. I think the biggest job was drilling a hole in the "wing" of the rear sight protector, to permit the windage nob to poke through. There may have been another mounting hole, or pin hole enlargement needed-but that was about it.

Good luck. Hope you find a rear sight for it. May check with SARCO.com once in a while, and see if they have a lead for such a sight.

Here are some links for you. I googled: m1917+windage+rear sight, and found these on the first page. I'm sure there's more info from the other pages, but at least I got it started for you.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&p=640758

http://www.jouster.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-8584.html

HARRYMPOPE
02-21-2011, 02:52 AM
i have an American Rifleman that shows how to modify a BAR sight for the P-17.It is a bit of work as I remember,but was very clean looking.Now the challenge is to find it for you!
When i was shooting mine alot i got a spare ladder and had it taped for a Merit adjustable disc.

HMP

fireball168
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I was digging through some PS magazines last night and found the article on the M1917 BAR sight installation, September 1999.

In a nutshell, they used a "late" BAR sight, opened up the inside of the ears where the sight mounts .105" on each side, cut .063" below the sight mount for clearance, raised the centerline of the sight cross shaft hole .015" and increased its diameter to .188". Counterbored the left side of the receiver .250" for a cross shaft bushing(making windage detents at 90 degree intervals), fabricated a new sight cross shaft, threaded 10-32 tpi, then retreaded the sight to match, removed a bit of material from the bottom of the sight, then welded up the front sight to match the new height of the rear.

I thought I had a BAR sight here, but can't seem to find it. Some pictures would go a long way.

badbob454
03-03-2011, 01:37 AM
thanks to all for your great advice