PDA

View Full Version : That Plastic on your AR......

45nut
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
One of the few complaints folks have against the Stoner platform is the many plastic pieces used to construct the furniture,, does anyone make replacements in Aluminum?
I mean the Buttstock and grip since there are dozen's of forend choices.
I remember seeing them in wood,, but not metal.

runfiverun
02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
i too actually seen a set of stocks done in walnut ,but cannot remember who done them.
wish i could though.
but iv'e not seen metal.
maybe some of the highpower guy's would know, as they use all kinds of funny looking stocks and sights.
stuff like david tubb uses.

c3d4b2
02-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a metal cheek piece on a space gun stock. It is not real fun on hot or cold days. I have almost trained myself to cover the stock when it is in the hot sun.:oops:

scb
02-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Wood
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=38906/Product/AR_15_M16_WOOD_STOCK_SETS

nicholst55
02-15-2011, 11:29 PM
DPMS carries wooden AR furniture; so does Brownells. I haven't seen metal buttstocks or pistol grips, and I personally wouldn't want them. The plastic used for the PG is particularly durable; the buttstock is pretty durable, too.

The A1 triangle handguards used to break pretty easily, especially the tabs between the holes; the A2 HGs are pretty durable. They aren't wood, but they work, and don't warp or swell from humidity.

Combat Diver
02-16-2011, 07:37 AM
The orginal collaspable stock for the CAR-15 was aluminum, not plastic. I also wouldn't want a metal stock (butt plate o.k.) or pistol grip. I do have a aluminum railed forarm.

CD

BD
02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Ugly, but it works. Kinda like me I guess.

condorjohn
02-20-2011, 04:22 PM
This one has everything except a cup holder...

DCM
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Try this.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDAR15.html

Group buy??

nicholst55
03-06-2011, 05:12 AM
I've got a set of Ironwood furniture on one of my FALs; great quality, and a reasonable price. Their AR wood has got me thinking... dangerous, I know! I might be up for a group buy, depending on what kind of price we can get.

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Like the other poster I had one of the original collapsible aluminum stocks and liked it a lot.

AZ-JIM
03-10-2011, 12:09 AM
This one has everything except a cup holder...

The cup holder colapses and fits in the butstock with the cleaning kit!:-D

condorjohn
03-10-2011, 12:50 AM
All this time, I thought that's where all the fresh batteries were stored...

runfiverun
03-10-2011, 01:38 AM
i think you carry a small generator on your back to power that thing.
there might even be a gun under there somewhere.

DanWalker
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
If you're just not liking how it looks, I can understand. If you're worried about durability, don't be. I've seen those stocks go through some pretty brutal treatment without damage.
We used them(M16a2) as stepladders when doing Urban warfare training. We used them as makeshift litters for carrying wounded Marines. Stick a bayonet on the end of it, and there aren't many places on earth I'd be worried about being sufficiently armed.
I've seen some pretty brutal Vertical and horizontal buttstrokes delivered with those plastic stocks, and the weapon never skipped a beat.
I will agree that it doesn't exactly stir the soul with it's beauty, but put it in the hands of a well trained and motivated Marine, and it'll damn sure chill the blood of any enemy he might face.