PDA

View Full Version : what are wheel weights worth?

micky_blue
02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I found a local shop that will sell me ww for 20 cents a pound. Is this worth it? I figure a hundred pounds is twenty bucks.

Thx
Micky

micky_blue
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Think 300 pounds for fifty bucks would be a good offer?

Dframe
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Sounds real good to me. Be aware that there is likely to be a quantity of unusable trash included. There will be steel clips, and possbily steel weights and zinc weights unless they are selective about what they throw in the bucket. Most shops aren't. Still thats a good price.

bumpo628
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I would buy all they have at that price whether you need it or not. If you have any extra, sell it here in the S&S section.
By the way, save any zinc you find since it can be used for cannonballs.

pmer
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
48 cents per pound in Minneapolis yesterday. Run, don't walk...

micky_blue
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I'm going to try and buy them out tomorrow. I have an ingot mould too.

bowfin
02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
If this is going to be an ongoing arrangement, I wouldn't try to get absolute lowball price just to say you did. 300 pounds for $50 is great, until someone takes over your source because they offered thirty cents a pound.

However, if $50 is what you can spare, then tell them so and see what you can get.

bumpo628
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I have to buy my wheel weights on ebay for $1 / lb, if that helps you realize what a good deal you've got.
As said above, if it can be an ongoing thing it would be better not to poison the well.

micky_blue
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I now have about 575lbs of wheel weights for 105 bucks. Now all I need to do is get sorting and melting when my ingot molds arrive.

Is there an easy way to tell the zinc from the lead?

thanks again
micky

2wheelDuke
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I now have about 575lbs of wheel weights for 105 bucks. Now all I need to do is get sorting and melting when my ingot molds arrive.

thanks again
micky

Read the stickies in the lead and alloy section.

I sort mine by hand. Iron/steel stick to the magnet. Make sure it's not just the clip sticking to the magnet on a lead one.

Most of the zinc have a ZN on them. Not all do. If there's any doubt, try to cut it with a sidecutters. They'll barely scratch zinc but really bite into lead.

Also, the melting point of lead is lower than that of zinc, so it's a good idea to keep the temps just barely low enough to melt lead in case you miss a zincer, it'll float.

a.squibload
02-18-2011, 03:33 AM
I've only found one zinc WW that was not marked Zn, but I might have missed some.
Once you find one, tap it on the floor or whatever. Tap a lead WW. Hear the difference.
After you sort enough with the wirecutter or plier test, tapping, and magnet,
you will start to recognize them by sight.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_69sguoFlVzY/TV4bgg22NuI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/rpDFYYR9KMo/pb%20zn%20fe.JPG

In the latest batch I found this steroidal lead WW (top),
some similar sized zinc WWs (middle),
and some medium to large steel WWs (bottom).

It's a shame even truck weights are being made with inferior materials (non-lead!).

SkookumJeff
02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I also am paying a buck a pound and glad to get it at that price. Wheel weights are illegal in the nanny state of Washington. Ebay won't even allow shipping of scrap wheel weights into Washington. You guys enjoy your access to lead wheel weights while it lasts. My guess is it's just a matter of time before this affliction spreads to other states or the fed mandates no lead....and everyone laments the days of buck a pound lead....

Thinking about taking a trip this summer with my flat bed trailer and a pocket full of cash...visit some of my 'neighbors'...

Suo Gan
02-18-2011, 08:48 PM

thanks again
micky

Get a pair of side cutters and start testing every ww you have, pretty soon you will get to know what is what probably just by looking at them, throw, give, or sell the bad ones away...sometimes they are labeled Zn and sometimes not. The zinc weights are extremely hard even to dent with the cutters.

bigjake
02-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Most, but not all zinc WW's have a raised section in the center . Look at the bottom weight in squibloads pic, you can see it.
when im at the local salvage yard, I can spot them from quite a distance.

If you dont think you have too many zincers, or even if you have a lot, just make sure to skim them out right quick before the melt gets to hot. You shouldnt have any problems with the zinc melting into the alloy.

Stick_man
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
What are wheelweights worth? They are worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for them. Most of the ones I have been getting lately have been around $20 for a 5-gal bucket. They weigh anywhere from 120 lbs to 160 lbs. Each new bucket seems to contain a slightly higher percentage of Zn and Fe weights in it. Today, I was very lucky. I always carry a couple empty buckets in the vehicle just in case I fine another tire store. Today, I hit a small score and got 65 lbs of pretty clean weights. When I asked him how much I owed him (while pulling out my wallet), he said nothing. I thanked him profusely and will stop by in a couple days (when I am in the neighborhood again) with a box of donuts or cookies. I'd like to get to know him a little better.

Skipper488
02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
So far I have been very lucky. I've got all my wheel weights for free. I've melted down most of what I have gotten and so far have about 100 pounds of lead after sorting out the zinc and steel. I sort the zinc ones out by keeping my melt temperature about 625-650, at that temperature the lead ones melt but the zinc ones don't.