PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good .45 Colt load

Swede44mag
02-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I put a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt on layaway yesterday and would like to know what your favorite .45 colt load is.
I havent tried out any of the newer cowboy pistol powders yet.

I have a RCBS 255-KT 2 cavity mold and some .45 molds for ACP but suggestions on powder and bullet design would be helpful.

I plan on taking this hog leg with me when I go deer hunting this fall. I have magnum guns for magnum loads just looking for something without a severe kick.
I figure a big boolit going a little slower would be better than a small boolit going faster.

BTW it is blue with a 7.5” barrel.

Hardcast416taylor
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
A good load, and is equivalent to the original factory load, is 6.3 gr. of Red Dot with that RCBS mold. I have used this load combo in my BH`s for more years that I want to remember. The original Colt factory load gave about 900 fps. This Red Dot load is about that same thing. I have taken a whitetail deer with this load, only needed 1 shot at 35 yds, so I know it will do the job. Besides, it is a pleasant load to just plink with. I use 50/50 alloy with Lars 50/50 lube and Winch. primers.Robert

Dale53
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
One of the best bullets for use in the .45 Colt is the RCBS 45-270-SAA. It has a large meplat is designed for the original Colt SAA (longer bullets can extend past the short cylinder on the Colt and Ruger New Vaquero). My version of this home cast bullet is a clone by Mihec.

I also have a NOE five cavity mould for a clone of the Lyman 454424.

I had to ream the cylinder throats of my Ruger Vaquero and SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible to .4525". Now, absolutely NO leading and most excellent accuracy.

I have mostly used Unique 8.0-9.0 in my Large Frame Rugers behind either bullet. However, this is "over book" for the New Vaquero and Colt behind the 45-270-SAA (it weighs 285 grs in my alloy). Lyman's new 4th Edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook shows a max of 8.5 behind the 454424 (or 452424) and a Max of 7.0 grs behind the 45-270-SAA bullet.

You might want to look at Titegroup for this revolver. The .45 Colt is a LARGE case and smaller charges of most fast burning powders can cause large swings in velocity (depending on whether the gun is barrel up or barrel down). Titegroup is NOT position sensitive and also measures well. See Hodgdon's online reloading data center for charges.

A good cast bullet with a good, wide meplat will work well on game at original .45 Colt factory velocities at reasonable ranges in the weight range of 250 grs to 300 grs or so. The original black powder specs defined by the U.S. Army trials when the 1873 Colt was adopted clearly specified that the load had to shoot through a horse at 100 yards. It should certainly work well for a 200-300 lb whitetail or mule deer with the MUCH better shaped bullets of today AND IT DOES.

I recently cast some Mihec 45-270-SAA hollow point bullets (270 gr. pentagonal hollow point cast of 20/1 lead/tin) to a good friend for deer hunting. He was impressed (he is a board member, here).

Dale53

Wally
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Dale53

Yes, small charges of fast burning powder will produce erratic velocity swings as the powder charge takes up so little space in the large case. I use a poly filler to solve that problem. It works quite well and i don't get any "ringing".

DanWalker
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I shoot 6.5 grains of Red Dot under a 454424 for most of my shooting with my 45 colts.
I step it up with 18.5 grains of 2400 when I want more velocity.
I killed an antelope at over 100 yards with the Red Dot load this season.
Velocity is right around 850-900 fps from my 5.5" barrel and accuracy has been superb in all the 45 colt chambered guns I've tried this load in.
I've experienced no powder position sensitivity issues with Red dot So far, but in all fairness I've only shot about 8lbs of this powder with this load over the past 8 years or so I've been using it.

Grapeshot
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I put a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt on layaway yesterday and would like to know what your favorite .45 colt load is.

I have a RCBS 255-KT 2 cavity mold and some .45 molds for ACP but suggestions on powder and bullet design would be helpful.

I plan on taking this hog leg with me when I go deer hunting this fall. I have magnum guns for magnum loads just looking for something without a severe kick.
I figure a big boolit going a little slower would be better than a small boolit going faster.

I have used 17.5 to 18.0 grains of Alliant's 2400with the Lyman 454424 for years in my RBH, S&W M-25-5, and my Colt Anaconda. For Plinking I use 8 Grains of Unique. When using the heavy bullets I stick to published data in the mainstream reloading manuals like Lyman and Accurate Arms. AA #7 and AA#9 both give good results and are cleaner buring than the Alliant powders.

If you want a change of pace, then try a compressed charge of 40 grains of Goex 2Fg behind a 250 grain KT SWC using SPG as your lube and a Large Magnum Pistol Primer to set off the powder charge.

DragoonDrake
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
For target shooting I like 5grs. of clays under a 255gr RF. For a little more serious work 14grs. of 2400 under a 300 gr bullet.

rststeve
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I use Lymans 454490 sized to .452 with 9gr Herco. very clean burning load. I have this exact gun with 5.5 inch barrel. This is a very comfortable shooting load not to hot, yet no capgun ether.

44MAG#1
02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
People tend to forget about Bullseye. It has long been used for target loads and it it still performs very well in the 45 Colt too.
I use 6 grs. under the Mihec 270 SAA bullet at it is wonderful. I also use the same load in a New Vaquero too.
Alot of sexier names in powder but give Bullseye a try and see if you don't like it.

MtGun44
02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
About 7 gr of W231/HP38 is excellent under the mold you have.

Hotter, about 10 gr Unique.

Hottest - full charge of 2400 - you check the books and decide what that
means to you - there are various pressure levels in this cartridge and old and
new Vaqueros are different in pressure rating.

Bill

tek4260
02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Linebaugh likes 13.0gr of HS-6, and I have to agree. I have tried Unique, Universal, and Trail Boss as well, but none gave the accuracy of the HS-6. As a plus it runs 1000+ fps. The only thing more accurate has been fire breathers, 325's over H-110.

Snyd
02-15-2011, 06:59 PM
255gr rnfp 8gr Unique

pmer
02-15-2011, 07:20 PM

I used a 452424 and 8.1 of unique for the doe in my avatar. Say is that Vaquero a New Model or the old model. I'm told the "New Model" don't like Ruger only charges of powder.

Dale53
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Dan Walker;
>>>but in all fairness I've only shot about 8lbs of this powder with this load over the past 8 years or so I've been using it. <<<

Yeah, that's only about 8500+ rounds - hardly any experience at all (LOL):mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dan, I have had good experience with Red Dot, also.

I also should have mentioned the Lyman 452664 RF bullet. My copy has a reasonably wide meplat. I have shot it in many black powder matches (30/1 lead/tin with Emmert's Home Mix lube) with EXCELLENT results on steel and paper. I did some good shooting with that combination with Swiss 2f and 3f up to 50 yards on NRA Bullseye matches in my Bisley Vaquero. That chronographs at 900+ fps and hits with real authority. That was before I reamed my cylinder throats and the combination of the soft bullet and black powder bumped up the bullet for a perfect bore seal giving good accuracy and no leading. I sized them at .452" and had No problem chambering with the slightly tight throats.

I MUCH prefer the Keith style bullet for hunting but the 452664 looked a bit more authentic for the black powder matches (we dressed for the part, also:roll:). The .45 Colt black powder round really impressed me with its general performance. I shouldn't have been surprised but frankly, I was. Plus, if you get in a gun fight at close range you can also set your opponent on fire at the same time you shoot him[smilie=1::Fire:

Dale53

DanWalker
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Dan Walker;
>>>but in all fairness I've only shot about 8lbs of this powder with this load over the past 8 years or so I've been using it. <<<

Yeah, that's only about 8500+ rounds - hardly any experience at all (LOL):mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dan, I have had good experience with Red Dot, also.

Dale53

Yes sir, it's quite a few rounds, but it's probably just a drop in the bucket compared to some of the more experienced gents here.

j20owner
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
If it's a New Vaquero, I'd definitely stay away from the magnum loads. Plus, the OP said he has magnum handguns for magnum stuff.

Myself, I like 7gr of Titegroup for about 940fps out of 5.5" of Blackhawk with a 454190. My throats are still tight. I need to send the cylinder off and get it fised.

Swede44mag
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
If it's a New Vaquero, I'd definitely stay away from the magnum loads. Plus, the OP said he has magnum handguns for magnum stuff.

Myself, I like 7gr of Titegroup for about 940fps out of 5.5" of Blackhawk with a 454190. My throats are still tight. I need to send the cylinder off and get it fised.

I dont know the age of the Vaquero it came in a paper box. Is there a way to tell manufacture date by the serial number. If I am lucky it may have the date on the box. I dont think there was any papers in the box such as a Manual or a lock for the barrel.
When I get it I will give it a through cleaning, check the throats & Slug the bore.

I hope to be able to shoot between 850 & 900 fps with the 255-KT bullet I have the mold for. The 270gr looks interesting but I missed out on the GB.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Dale53
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Swede;
If the revolver says, "New Vaquero" on the left side, then you have a small framed New Vaquero. It will handle normal .45 Colt loads without a problem. If your revolver just says, "Vaquero" on the side, then it is the older, LARGE frame variety that can handle "Ruger Only" loads.

I have a large frame Bisley Vaquero but, frankly, only shoot "normal" loads in it. Keep in mind that "normal" loads with a proper bullet can be VERY effective.

Dale53

Swede44mag
02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks Dale I will have to check the left side for New Vaquero or Vaquero when I get it out of layaway.

I bought a new Stainless Steel Vaquero a couple of years ago it came in a plastic box.
It was a nice pistol but money got tight and I had to let it go.
I just hate it when I have to sell a gun that was a lot of fun to shoot.

I had a pair of Virginian Hamereli's over 30 years ago one in .357 the other in .45Colt.
They were blue steel with nickle triger guard real sharp looking.
Someone broke into my father’s house and stole both of them with all of my guns.
The police said they probably took them out of the state to sell them for drugs.

x101airborne
02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I just hate it when I have to sell a gun that was a lot of fun to shoot.

That's why I keep a couple of pieces that are junk and I dont mind getting rid of.

My vote is if you have an old model large frame, try blue dot. I have been shooting that under a 255rf for years and have taken more deer, hogs, and coyotes out to 200 yards with it than I have any of my rifles. For plinking or in a small frame ruger, go with unique. There is a lot t be said for that old powder.

bigboredad
02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
If you have a older model one of my favorite loads is a lee 340 gr rnfp designed for the .45-70. My mold drops them at .456 and I size them down to .454 and seat them on top of 9 grains of universal. it is a very nice easy shooting load that hits hard and at 25 yds I can get 1 to1-1/2 inch groups all day every day. For the 255 8.5 grains of universal should do everything you ask it to do

Frank
02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
You guys listed 15 different powders. Hard for a guy to make a selection when there are so many to choose from. :lol:

Swede44mag
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
You guys listed 15 different powders. Hard for a guy to make a selection when there are so many to choose from. :lol:

I have many reloading manuals from many different years and they list too many different powder charges. I was hoping to keep it simple with maybe a couple of different loads that work well for most people. I now see that everyone has a different load they like and works well for them.

Many years ago I settled on powder charges for my 38/357 44 and 45acp most being the same powder 231 or Hp38.
231 works well but smokes and leaves a lot of residue on my shells and cylinder.

I have tried Unique in my 44mag it seems to burn the outside of the cartridges leaving a dark hard to clean off residue.

2400 is almost as bad as black powder as far as gumming up the cylinder pin in not many shots. I know some like it a lot but this has been my experience.

I have used Bullseye in the past for my .45acp but don't remember the results.

What burns the cleanest with the least amount of kick within 850 to 900 fps if there is such an animal?
Also someone commented on too low of a charge being position sensitive it I remember correctly.

Once again your replies are welcome.

DanWalker
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
6.5 grains of Red Dot has a nice soft recoil impulse. I usually only shoot 100 or so shots per outing with my blackhawk, so I haven't seen any problems with it being overly dirty.

btroj
02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I use surplus #105, burns like AA5. Similar to unique. Clean enough, not that I worry about that, not position sensitive, easy to get in that velocity window.
And so many powders were listed as so many will work. We all have things that work for us, that is why so many. Sort of like bullet designs, one size does not fit all.

TCLouis
02-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Is that 6.3 - 6.5 Red Dot in the older low pressure cartridge category and still 850-900 fps?

geargnasher
02-18-2011, 01:48 AM
SAA (standard pressure loads) can have a great deal of variance with POA vs. POI with fixed sights. If this is a NEW Vaquero (small frame, for all intents and purposes a SAA copy), your sights will not be adjustable. With 255-grain boolits, Red Dot, Titegroup, Clays, and Bullseye will all shoot high, but they are good choices, I have had outstanding accuracy from Titegroup in particular, my go-to load is just over the 255 grain starting load in Lyman #49.

Unique is good, but I use Universal instead because it is much cleaner at the same velocities in my gun with the 255-ish weight boolits.

HS6 is my all-time favorite, running near the top end of Lyman data. It is fairly dirty at SAA pressures, thus not meeting your criteria, but a fleet of eight pistols and rifles in my family all dote on it. HS6 can be loaded to much higher levels in the "heavy" Ruger pistols, and it will burn much cleaner.

Blue Dot works well even at the lower pressures with heavy boolits in the 300+ grain range and under 700 fps, good for tall front sight guns that have that annoying tendency to group a few inches below your point of aim. It's not the cleanest, but it works.

I disagree with Dale53 that Titegroup isn't position sensitive. It IS position sensitive, as all powders are, but much less than most and you probably will never notice the difference in the .45 Colt.

Overall, for a nice, mild, accurate .45 Colt load that leaves your cases very clean and gets 255 grain boolits up to 850 fps very easily and at quite low pressures, Titegroup is very hard to beat. Work it up carefully in your gun, you might get best results near the max loads listed. If you like it enough you can always grind the front sight blade down until it hits where you aim.

Gear

geargnasher
02-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Is that 6.3 - 6.5 Red Dot in the older low pressure cartridge category and still 850-900 fps?

I max out at about 830 before accuracy goes to heck in my 7-1/2" revolvers. Less in the short one.

Gear

Snyd
02-19-2011, 02:51 AM

Too funny!

I try to keep it simple. I have 2 powders for my 45 Colt and 454 Casull loads, Unique and H110. Mild to wild...

I cast 200, 255, 275, 335, 355 and 435gr boolits and those 2 powders will get the job done with all of them. Oh, and don't forget 4-5.5 gr Unique for the 38spc, 150gr rn and 158gr swchp. Unique is a great multi use powder. I guess it's good for reduced rifle loads as well. Never have tried it though.

45r
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
My favorite midload for my redhawk is 9.2 grains power pistol under the rcbs 270saa and fed primer.I've tried lots of loads and this one beats them all for me.

Jack Stanley
02-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Ya got that right Frank !!! Though I have a couple bullet molds for the forty-five , I'm going to continue to load the Colt cases with a two fifty-five . Since I like simple I have two powders that I have used for years and I'll end up with one of them . If Bullseye and Unique can't make the bullets do nine hundred feet per second , then it's time to put down the big bore and get the forty-four magnum out .

I don't need an excuse to roll out the magnum , I can do that loaded heavy or light . If I had only one revolver and it was the big Colt Maybe I'd load it heavy too . When the man says that the old blackpowder loads would shoot through a HORSE ........... I get to wondering just how much kelvar are the deer outside wearing nowadays . A couple years ago the township supervisor said a cougar crossed the road near here . Somebody else said that black bears are moving south and still another said that they got feral hogs the county south of us moving north . Gee I wonder how hard it is to learn how to double action a model twenty-nine loaded to forty-five colt equivalent loads . Do ya think the critters would notice ?

Jack

Dale53
02-19-2011, 06:08 PM
geargnasher;
Not to put too fine a point on it (we are NOT arguing:mrgreen:) but take a look at Hodgdon's release on Titegroup regarding powder position sensitivity:

ITEGROUP®
TITEGROUP™

As the name implies, this spherical propellant was designed for accuracy. Because of the unique design, this powder provides flawless ignition with all types of primers including the lead-free versions. Unlike pistol powders of the past, powder position in large cases (45 Colt, 357 Magnum and others) has virtually no effect on velocity and performance. Cowboy Action, Bullseye and Combat Shooters should love this one! TITEGROUP has it all, low charge weight, clean burning, mild muzzle report and superb, uniform ballistics. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

THAT is what I based my comments on.

Dale53

Win86
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
My load is hot, to hot for new Vacaro's maybe. 16.5 of #9 with the 270SAA bullet gives me one inch plus accuracy at 25yds and 1075 velocity from my Ruger blackhawk 5.5 and slightly higher from my 7.5 inch barreled BH Bisley. Both guns have been opened to .45225, have 11 degree forcing cones and also been fire lapped. Before doing all this, I couldn't hit a milk carton at 10 yards with any load or bullet. Unique loads, both 8.0 and 9.0 also work for me but not as accurate as #9 is. Now, I have confidence with these guns and never feel under gunned when out in the woods. I carry with the hotter loads only because we are in bear country and black black bears are a scare in thick timber. My bullets are .452 and BH-12 and 16 giving minimal leading after 25 rounds. I use gost ring rear site on both making for easy target sighting and focus, even with older eyes.

Win86

jh45gun
02-25-2011, 01:43 AM
8 grains of unique to 8.5 grains of unique and a 255 grain lead cast bullet.

wellfedirishman
02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Swede, I really like 7 grains of Trailboss under any reasonable weight (200 - 250 area) of cast lead 45 boolit. I have had excellent accuracy with this load, and it fills the case nicely. Comfortable shooting too.

If you want something heavier, increase the boolit weight. Note: I would only shoot heavy boolits with this load in a Blackhawk or similar.

Frank
02-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Jack Stanley

Originally Posted by Frank
You guys listed 15 different powders. Hard for a guy to make a selection when there are so many to choose from.

Ya got that right Frank !!! Though I have a couple bullet molds for the forty-five , I'm going to continue to load the Colt cases with a two fifty-five . Since I like simple I have two powders that I have used for years and I'll end up with one of them .
Jack, you're idea is good. I have another idea. There are so many choices, but how do we narrow it down? Maybe if we see some targets that will help us reduce the selection. :confused:

Swede44mag
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Targets, Groups, at different distances why didn't I think of that?

Frank
02-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Swede44mag:
Targets, Groups, at different distances why didn't I think of that?
It's so nice to see pictures of targets. Isn't it? I miss the pics. Any kind of pics is better than no pics.

Reloader06
02-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Swede,

Just another vote for 6.3 of Reddot under that exact boolit. Very easy shooting. Followed closely by Titegroup.

Matt

Catshooter
02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
I use Universal Clays in .38 spl, 9mm, .44 spl & mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .308, 7.62 x 54r, .30-30, .38-55 and .45-70.

Is that versitle enough for you? It's very clean, much cleaner than Unique. It has a very gentle pressure curve and is very forgiving.

Cat