PDA

View Full Version : ranch dog TL 314 - 70 - RF why diameter .314

tackstrp
02-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I see that Ranch dog lists a 70 grain Tumble lube bullet for 32 caliber . My problem is not with the weight but the diameter of .314, why is it not .313 or even .312.

Because it is a tumble lube. made by Lee, i suspect that it should cast near .314. If I ran this thru a .313 lee sizer would I cut off the micro grooves?

Maybe i am confused, normal state of mind for me. I am thinking 32 ACP, maybe this bullet is for some kind of 32 caliber revolver bullet.

tackstrp
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
TL358-100-RF
I could ask the samy diameter question for the 380 auto at .358 diameter. Why not .356 or 357?

turbo1889
02-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Better too big then too small, especially with TL style boolits.

I use the Lee factory design mold #TL314-90-SWC for the 32-ACP as cast with no size down with zero problems related to the oversize diameter. Could stand to be shortened in the body by a TL band or two (and consequently lightened as a result) for that application but diameter is just fine.

BCall
02-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Michael takes chamber casts and uses those measurements to design a boolit to fill the throat of the gun. Just like the .256 diameter for the 25 acp, which normally has .251 bullets. It's what was needed to fill the throat. I think you'll find most pocket pistols have rather large chambers and can utilize these larger diameters easily.

tackstrp
02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I have been using thined down to only 40% xlox. I don't like the xlox bulit up on the case mouth, loaded rounds seem to get a wax feel, and the chamber seems to need cleaning more often. Seems that even with belling the case mouth , get some build up. I TL for 380 9mm 40S&W 10MM and 38 special. Casted some 9mm last night . will run thru the lyman 450 . with Ornage magic lube. . Did about 5 as a test sample . Seems to work. Plugged all the lube holes except for two near the top.

What kind of Auto are u using for the 32 ACP?

tackstrp
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
No matter how much wiping and cleaning can't seem to get the wax feel off of my loaded rounds

tackstrp
02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Well just ordered one from Ranch dog for the 380 will give it a try. Also will dip just the micro groove rather than coating the entire bullet. Should be faster that wiping each and every one.

Tried dipping my lee round nose one groove bullets, yuck big mess. Wil try a q tip next time.

Ranch Dog
02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
I think the answer was covered but to be sure... bore diameter isn't the answer. A good shooting cast bullet fills the leade, step, and throat FIRST. Things go consistently wrong if this consideration is not met. Many bullets are designed without ever addressing these critical areas, only addressing bore diameter. Additionally, bullet sizing can be used to address critical fits only if the bullet has room to work with. This is not what rules the diameter on my bullet designs. Chamber cut considerations do.

tackstrp
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
very interesting what RD had to say. Does that mean that Lee Truncated Cone molds do not quite meet the specifications mentioned above?

Believe i can safely say RD mold design are the best designed, now i need to buy the 32 acp, 9mm and 40 S&W when they become available. From time to time i have thought how neat TC bullets look, could be i am wrong.