PDA

View Full Version : another 8mm x 57 mauser question

casca
02-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Greetings
I have a Hakim, that I want to reload for but because of the way in damages brass
I want to reform 30-06 brass to 8mm x 57.

I have a RCBS 8mm x 57 trim die and Lee 8mm x 57 full length & neck dies ( set)
what are the steps to complete this task ? Is the Trim die the only other die I need to reform the 30-06 brass

I know that there is some sawing & filing involved. I have never attempted this task and would like to do it correctly. would someone out line the proper steps to complete this task.
Anything that I need to know or look for ?

thanks
casca

mooman76
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
The 06 to 8mm mauser is one of the easiest to do. You can trim some off before hand or after. I prefered to cut off a small amount before resizing. I just marked the difference and used a dremel to cut off excess. Then resized as normal in the 8mm die and do the final trim to length and camfer inside and out.
As a side note I prefered to use old military .06 brass that didn't have on .06 marked on the head. That way I wouldn't pick it up and think right off that it was .06.

jonk
02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Lube. Size. Trim. Chamfer. Done.

220swiftfn
02-16-2011, 12:56 AM
I agree with all the above (I also make 7.65 Argentine out of it...) another suggestion however. If you plan on pitching the brass after, this won't matter. I've found that annealing the neck helps a lot (I was getting split necks after a few reloads.) Also, check to see if you have to turn the necks.

Dan

Catch
02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I tried making some 8mm out of SLmilitary 30-06 cases, but for some reason most of them came out of the final sizing with dents in the neck. I thought I was using too much lube at first so I carefully cleaned the die and used only a wipe off the lube and they still came out with several dents arount the taper. I must be doing something wrong, or do I fire form these cases with the dents with a small charge of pistol powder and some COW? Would appreciate some ideas or suggestions about this......Thanks

felix
02-16-2011, 10:44 PM
No need to grease the neck area at all. Just do the full body case area when doing gross resizing, and without the neck expander. Fireform with a normal full load, but only when assured the bolt closed firmly onto the slope part of the neck. ... felix

Char-Gar
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Buy a 8x57 file trim die. You can use it to form cases and later to keep them trimmed to proper length.

1. Lube the case 30-06
2. Run the case into the 8X57 file trim die.
3. Saw off any excess sticking above the die with a fine toothed hacksaw.
4. File the top of the die/case with a file to smooth and square the case mouth. A double cut file works best and the die is hardened to withstand the file.
5. Deburr the case neck mouth in and out with the proper tool.
6. Run the case into a 8X57 full length sizing die.
7. Load and shoot.

Dents in case neck/shoulders is caused by excess lube. This is true is you are case forming or just sizing cases.

CATS
02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
There are a bunch of utube vids on this. The guys on this site also have great info. To keep the dents out of your brass size part of the way then lift your ram handle, use your fingers to wipe the ring of lube that formed down along the case. The removal of the extra lube will end most of the oil dent formation. As to trimming, I tried to several ways, what worked best for me was to form it then chuck it up in a Lyman trimmer with the power shaft and cut it down with a hand drill. That was less labor than trimming, sizing, then trimming. I found annealing first was a help, and I re-anealed any oil dents before loading. Any brass with oil dents that were sharp were scrapped. I also used all Mil brass of the same mfgr and labled each case with a sharpie. There sharpie will help me keep track of what it is and load count for each case. Again, spend some time on utube and searching here.
CATS

adrians
02-18-2011, 09:01 PM
i use this table saw i got from harbor freight ,i glued a small bit of wood to the bed and it acts as a lenghth gauge for my trimming (i trim before sizing and leave it a tad long ) .
sizing is a breeze when i cut first and then form, and then trim to length.
the saw was inexpensive and the iddy-biddy blades are 2" dia,:evil::veryconfu:evil:

phaessler
02-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I like the mini-chop saw idea, but the live primer isnt my thing.....

Pete

adrians
02-19-2011, 06:48 PM
yeh that was for the pics ,this brass was ready to load,:evil::coffeecom:twisted: