PDA

View Full Version : How to not pan lube w/ picture

Charlie Two Tracks
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
OH MY! I pan lubed some 158 RNFP today and as the picture shows, it did not go exactly as planned.
http://i55.tinypic.com/5bbq7d.jpg
Front left are the ones I tried to push through. Not a good thing
Front right are the ones that I used a cookie cutter on. When pushing them through I got lube in all of the crimp grooves.
Middle left are some 45-45-10 boolits I did last night. They look ok?
Middle right are some sized boolits ready to get covered in wax!
In the back are the ones I cleaned with a rag. Kind of took some time but they sure won't rust. They have a nice polished coat of wax on them.

Doby45
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
With the lube poured to the correct level and a cake cutter mine used to come out looking like they came out of a lubrisizer. Then I sized them and they looked even more gooder. ;)

Charlie Two Tracks
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I know. I got the lube almost up to the lube groove, tried to punch them out too soon, got lube inside the cutter and it was not good. On the upside, the lube sure stuck!

white eagle
02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
dem is some sexy lookin boolits der meester

JSnover
02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Pan lubing is simple but it take a little finesse. If I had a lathe and some time to play around I could come up with mighty fine cutter/puller; pop them out and set them directly into the charged case mouths.

btroj
02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
This looks like it was a valuable learning lesson. I am a firm believer in the school of hard knocks.

Good lesson.

Jal5
02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I made a good mess doing 38s too the first couple of times. It gets better with practise!
That cake cutter needs to be only slightly larger than the 38, I used a 35 Rem case for one, expanded it a little too much then had to resize it slightly with the 38 die to get it right.
I also put the panlube pan outside in the 15* cold to solidify...it worked really well. The level of lube has to be just above the lube groove but not very much otherwise it goes into the crimp groove.
Joe

white eagle
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
when I used to pan lube a trip to the fridge often hepped

Longone
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Was it the trip back from the fridge dat waz da probem?

Longone

unclebill
02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
i need to make some cutters.

Dean D.
02-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Do you use an ejector on your Kake Kutter? I have an old one my Uncle had that has a 16d nail for an ejector rod. It works good.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/condercliffjumper/Reloading/KakeKutter.jpg

Mike Kerr
02-15-2011, 12:19 AM
That give me hope for the future. At least I won't be the only one who goofs up.

Regards,

:):)

Doby45
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Mike you just need to read more and THEN you will know for a fact you are not the only one that has messed up or will mess up. ;) My story of my first loading of lube in the Star sizer is rather entertaining. Can you say "Red Old Faithful"?

degruix
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
If I had to pan lube I wouldn't shoot cast, it is to slow and a complete mess.

Dan Cash
02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Once you learn a good technique, the only thing faster than pan lubing will be the power driven nirvana of lubricator/sizers. The cake cutter, by the way, is not part of the technique; slow, messy and not needed.

bigted
02-20-2011, 01:37 AM
i on the other hand perscribe to the cutter method...it treats me very good and doesnt make a mess for me....i think it is the lube where the fault is at as my bp lube rarely gives me any fits at all.

pan-lubing is faster for me then any other lubing i have tryed but to each his own. good luck finding your groove that works for you.

sniper
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Pan and tumble lubing is all I have tried so far, because they are cheap and easy.

Lee hasn't included Kake Kutters with their lube/size packages since they stopped using stick lubes, and went to Alox. Some kind soul on the forum told me that a .375 Magnum case makes a fine cutter for .38 sized boolits when the head is removed, and he sent me two.

Ejector? Nope...just run enough boolits through the cutter, and after a while, they come out the top, all by themselves...except for the last one or three, in which case, a pencil or chopstick works fine.