PDA

View Full Version : Saeco #638 mold 38-55 cal.

Marshaltootall
02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
The new Lyman cast handbook says this bullet cannot be loaded in a lever action gun because it will exceed overall length even though it is only a 225 grain bullet. Has anyone had a problem with this and could you correct the overall length problem by getting the shorter Starline brass 38-55 (2.080")? Also, you are not suppose to size this bullet because it is tapered. How do you lube it as I use a Star luber/sizer?

excess650
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Tapered boolits, plainbase in particular, were quite often designed for single shots. They can be loaded long and shot from the case ("fixed ammunition") or breech seated directly into the rifling (schuetzen style). These are generally pan lubed so the lube will stay in all of the grooves. These tapered boolits can be loaded singly in a lever action, or work through the magazine of a bolt action.

If you're planning on running ammunition through the magazine of a lever action, you'll want to choose another design.

Marshaltootall
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why they can't be fed from a tubular magazine. I plan to use it in competition where time could be an issue. Could you recommend a better bullet style? What would happen if I resize them? Thanks.

Doc Highwall
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I have sized some of the SAECO tapered bullets with a SAECO luber sizer, you have to not apply too much pressure or the lube globs up on the tapered section. I have the #738 255 grain that I have shot in my 1885 Highwall but I have not yet shot it out of my 1894 Winchester take-down but I see no reason why it will not work as long as you do-not exceed the OAL. The Lyman 375248 would be a good bullet provided it cast large enough for your gun. Have you slugged your barrel ? Bullet fit is the most important thing.