PDA

View Full Version : End of Bullseye/begining of steak

Bullshop
05-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Have been raising a beef bull that was given to us last spring my kids named him Bullseye. I did not cut him and of late he has been getting frisky and causing trouble. Escaped from his pen a couple weeks ago and terrorised the neiborhood running around shakeing his haed and hooking things with his horns and just generaly causing damage and being a great neusance. I relentlesly persued with loop in hand which seemed to tic him off. From about 50 yards he droped his head and charged on a dead run straight at me. I cleared leather with my Ruger Bisley 45 and lined the front sight center on his oncoming head and cocked. I was trying to hold off as I still have 11/2 ton of hay for him to convert to fertiliser. He threw on the brakes within a couple feet and ended up with the muzzle on his forehead and my finger twiching like a cats tail. We both lived through that one but today was a different story. I was awakened today by a loud BULLSEYE'S OUT. Had just enough time to jump into pants and strap on leather as he made his way through the chicken pen and was causing great destruction within. I got the gate open and entered with a stout willow switch and managed to run him out of there but he headed straight for the freshly planted garden. With great haste I tried unsuccessfuly to head him off but could only watch as he cut a swath hooking jumping spinning and kicking through our hard work. Now I hadnt had my coffie yet so I was getting a mite ticked myself. Each time I had him cornered to get a loop on him he would dash to a new sight of mischef and destruction at one point climbing a steep bank and putting us to feer of him entering the house through a picture window. At about that point I knew there was only one way to stop him and had better get it done befor he hurt someone. Had been out shooting yesterday with the boys and had just sighted in a 7.5" Freedom Arms 454 with an adiquite load of 13gn 800X with the Lee 300 WFN/GC. While he was working over a stack of windows I have reserved for a green house I sneeked up on the oposite side and slowly stood full up as he was hooking the entire stack and lifting off the ground. While his head was still down with a good frontal angle I quickly swung the front sight to the center of his haed and touched off. Just as you would guess instant pollax, danger over, just a pile of beef to deal with. So as I wright he is gutted out hanging in the garage and after coffie will be skinned. Got a smudg pot going to keep the flies out so I can sit and enjoy my usual two cups. BTW that 300gn boolit cracked his head cause when I grabed his horns to put a rope on him to drag him the horns moved sepperatly. The boolit exited under the jaw but I noticed the jaw bone was also broken. We will look for the boolit later to see how a straight air cooled 45 cal 300 gn hammer held up from a tough test. Now the good news is I am inviting all my friends here to a BBQ.
BIC/BS

Gunload Master
05-26-2005, 04:45 PM
My mother was born there in Freedom Wyoming. Just about a mile from Freedom Arms is her old house (she owns the property) so we go up there quite a bit. We've gone into the actual facility a while back and saw some pictures of game people have taken with the 454 Casual. Very neat.

Reach in a Cut a Tenderloin out and send it to me :razz: I enjoy eating MEAN game.

C1PNR
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Breaking the jaw is OK, just hope you didn't ruin any tongue! That's good eatin' stuff! I really like it in my burritos and tacos.

Guess you'll have to get a replacement to finish the hay to fertilizer conversion project.;-)

grumble
05-26-2005, 08:45 PM
... my kids named him Bullseye. I did not cut him and of late he has been getting frisky and causing trouble. ...
BIC/BS

Just curious here -- if you were raising him for beef, why didn't you cut him? Makes for a much more docil and tasty animal.

Bullshop
05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
C1PNP
The toung survived, we like it too. We get quite a few buffalo toungs in the winter. We live smack in the middle of the winter range and most hunters want nothing to do with toung, heart or liver.
Grumble
In a word ignorance. Other than the obvious didnt know how to do it right. Was afraid of messing it up and have him die on me.
BTW we did look for that boolit but could not find it. We did find a double hand full of assorted others using a metal detector but not the right one. Usta have a target there.
BIC/BS

Urny
05-26-2005, 10:44 PM
This is Urny's wife LINDA,
Sounds like you will enjoy eating that one. I guess this guy shows us that all wild game doesn't live way out there. Did he break all your green house windows? If so shoot him again. Windows for greenhouses are real hard to come by; I've been looking for years.

Four Fingers of Death
06-25-2005, 02:25 AM
This is Urny's wife LINDA,
Sounds like you will enjoy eating that one. I guess this guy shows us that all wild game doesn't live way out there. Did he break all your green house windows? If so shoot him again. Windows for greenhouses are real hard to come by; I've been looking for years.

Hooking windows with yer horns is definetly a capitol offence, death penalty justified! A righteous shoot.
Mick.

Ps hope the meat wasn't too tough with adrenalin up.

D.Mack
06-26-2005, 11:20 PM
For future refrence, consult a vet or animal supply house, cutting a bll can be done bloodlessly, by using a strong rubber band, and a strecher to apply it. if done when they are young, it is simple, bloodless, and very little chance of infection. d.mack

Four Fingers of Death
06-27-2005, 07:36 AM
I went ans stayed on my uncles farm when I was 17. The two boys, Richard and Dave, whad a big lend of me telling me that they bit the testecles off and spat them out. They were holding a merino ram at the time and rolled it over and said 'your turn' (the ram was worth a fortune). I wasn't about to be shown up by a pair of country boys and jumped on the ram ready to do the business, just as my uncle walked around th corner of the pen. He woke up straight away and reached for his whip which was on his horse and cracked my escaping cousin accross the behind as he bolted away. Not knowing my sheep I didn't realise until I got up close that they were very well endowed in this department and I wouldn't have been able to do the deed at all. It wasn't for the want of trying on my part however. My uncle pulled me off and kicked me in the behind for my trouble. I was held in a little more respect by my cousins after that. I copped a bit of a kicking off the ram also.

carpetman
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
D.Mack---That bloodless method of converting bull to steer sounds interesting. I do have a question? You mention you need the rubber band and a stretcher to apply it. Is the stretcher needed by the bull/steer or is the person that applies it gonna need a stretcher?

wills
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
D.Mack---That bloodless method of converting bull to steer sounds interesting. I do have a question? You mention you need the rubber band and a stretcher to apply it. Is the stretcher needed by the bull/steer or is the person that applies it gonna need a stretcher?
http://www.mytscstore.com/images/productImages/prod_600_by_600/2221563-39312.jpg

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1038&sonID=179&page=1&productID=1565

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1038&sonID=179&productID=100

waksupi
06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
A large clamping type device, that did the deed in short order. no blood, but from the mournful sound of the newly-made steers, it was apparently rather - um - uncomfortable.

krag35
06-27-2005, 06:52 PM

I have one of them here. Keep it around to show the young fellers that come to pick up my Daughter, and promise a demonstration if they get her home late.

I once bought a "steer" that they had missed one on, He was onery and a pain. I really enjoyed shooting him.

krag35

Bret4207
07-16-2005, 06:38 AM
The rubber band castrators work fine. Do yourself a favor and apply 2 or 3 bands in case one breaks. Also, since AK has even more bugs than the NE US, do it a good moth before bug season and you reduce the maggot problem. Takes awhile for his parts to dry up and fall off.

drinks
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Burdizo clamps and elastrators are what you look for in a farm and ranch supply store or catalog.
The tools come in sizes from dog and cat to bull and stud, the bands are in several sizes.
The most dangerous is the cat operation, getting the cat's head in the rubber boot can result in serious injury. Not to the cat.
I like my meat with less marbleing, so I prefer not to cut a bull calf
, but I make sure he is in the locker plant by 10-12 months old.
Don

carpetman
07-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Drinks---You have identified my concern. Those gizmos come in various sizes. That's what makes me nervous fixing bicycle flats. If that tube got tangled up in the wrong area look what it could do. I figure a 26" bicycle tube to be about the size to make me nervous.

wills
07-21-2005, 09:09 PM
At your age?

carpetman
07-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes Wills,gotta expect some shrinkage at my age.