PDA

View Full Version : Just an old Trapdoor...

oldfart1956
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Well fellers, I don't post much but I read daily. After reading the post on pan lubeing I felt the need to write. I got this old Trapdoor, just an old beater somebody bubba'd, about 15yrs. ago. I've shot it some and cast up some boolits for it. Last summer after spending a long time reading hereabouts I took it out huntin' flat-land griz with my older brother Art. (flat-land griz is groundhogs to you yankees...) Anyways I had so much fun I decided to start getting serious about working up some better loads. Now mind ye, I ain't much on ca'tridge guns. Too newfangled. And I'm no newbie to casting. I've been casting roundballs and some conicals since '73. Most sizes from .350 to .720's and everything in between. Anyways....bought the Lee .459HB after reading all the reviews an after casting up a coupl'a hunnerd figgered I'd pan-lube em' as it seemed easy enough and I had beeswax&olive oil handy. Use it to make my patch lube. I even made me a "cake-cutter" out'a an old 45/70 ca'tridge. An that's when all the trouble started. Took me a spell to get the lube close to the right consistancy. It's still a bit too soft/tacky but it's working well. I expect when the weather warms up it'll be REALLY soft an tacky!! :) Anyways..tryin' to cut them boolits out'a the cake was a mess! I had that ++++ everywhere! On my hands, in my eyebrows, my hair...all over the bench...on the chair....I mean everywhere! By the time I got 2 dozen cut out I was exhausted. Then I went back and did some more reading. Somebody mentioned "use a pair of pliars an pull em out!" I figgered..."yeah...I'll just bet that'll work. So I snatched up a pair and.....it worked! They popped out like magic! Well learn something new every day here! I'll try firming up the lube with some beeswax and work on this some more. Trying some 50/55/60gr. loads with 3fg Goex right now and them griz is in trouble come summer. I even put the old Buffington sight back on and a higher front sight and am right smart impressed with the groups. Thanks fellers! Audie..the Oldfart..

thegreatdane
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
parffin wax hardens it up real fast. use sparingly.

Wayne Smith
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
And Lanolin makes it reeel sticky! Use too much and you aint yet seen a mess!

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
The freezer can be your friend, at least as far as the intitial get them outa the lube. Wont help when you get to the handling for loading or the shooting in hot weather stage though.

MtGun44
02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Bend up a heavy copper wire handle for a case, and cut off the base. Not familiar with
olive oil and beeswax, tho. Push it down over one, twist and the boolit should stick in the
case. Lift out of lube and push down over the next one, which pushes out the first one.

Some freeze the lube solid and push the booits out.

That boolit works well in a TDoor that I have which has a really worn bore when used with
about 14 gr Unique.

Bill