PDA

View Full Version : Cz52 7.62 X 25

singleshotbuff
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Gentlemen,

Went to a local gun store/hang out today and a CZ 52 followed me home [smilie=1: .

I got one box of cheap surplus Jword ammo with it, but of course I'd like to shoot real boolits out of it.

Anyone have one/shot one? Can you recommend a mold and some loads?

What kind of accuracy can I expect?

Seems to be a nice gun, decent trigger and sights. Very flat, seems like it will carry well around here on the farm. Kinda thinking of it as a daily knockabout/vermin gun.

All input appreciated.

SSB

9.3X62AL
11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I have 3 pistols in this caliber, one of which is a CZ-52. I have messed around with this caliber since ~1990, and things are a LOT better for the reloader of this caliber now than 16 years ago.

The principal advantage today is the availability of GREAT component casings by Starline. These are light-years better than the Fiocchi hulls--or the home-made things I made from 9mm Win Mag brass lo these years ago. W-W also has some pretty decent and affordable "white box" ammo in this caliber now--the rounds are pretty accurate, and the brass is first-rate.

My usual boolit for this caliber is the Lee 100 grain RN, or the Lyman #313249. It takes about 5.0 x Unique to get reliable functioning, and 6.0 grains is on approach to the top end. Treat this one like a rifle--slug the bore and see what it needs boolit-wise.

With the j-words, AA-7 does GREAT work......with 90 grain XTP's, 7.5 grains gives "spec" velocity (~1400 FPS), and the latest Hornady loading manual gives some pretty zippy loads for this pistol.

One caveat--check the rollers and make sure they don't have flat spots. If that is the case, www.makarov.com has sources for rollers and other parts/accessories for these pistols. My CZ-52 has whacked a large number of jackrabbits, and is quite accurate for a $70 surplus pistol. Be advised that loads going 1200 FPS or faster are VERY loud, about on par with Ruger Blackhawks in 30 Carbine.

Bodydoc447
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I tried a few 115 gr RN .30 carbine boolits with a light load of AA#5. Worked okay. I had bought a box of Meister Bullets for the carbine some years ago and was out of the Lee 100 grainer that I usually use. This boolit is heavy for this caliber but there were no pressure signs and the brass landed in a nice little pile near my feet. The CZ52 is a vastly under-rated pistol for whatever reason. The sights are a little skimpy but the gun is robust, well built and fairly accurate. Much more so than the price would suggest. At least this is my limited experience. I have only had mine for about 6 years. I also shoot this in my C96 (hence the light loads) and my Polish Tok.

Doc

9.3X62AL
11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Doc--we have the same 3 pistols! My Tok is a ChiCom Type 54, but otherwise twins.

So--there ARE two of us, after all.

singleshotbuff
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Gentlemen,

Shot the new toy today. WOW!! What a fun little cannon!! I only shot 25rds through it, since I only have 1 box of Norinco China Sports ammo that I got when I got the gun. I'm gonna order a case of milsurp from Sportsmans Guide and also get set up to reload.

First 5 rds, offhand at 7 yards went less than 1". Right on with the sights too.

Also ran 5rds across the chronograph, got an average of 1442 f.p.s. NICE!!

Muzzle blast is VERY impressive LOL.

Shot the remaining 15rds just plinking in my yard.

I really like this gun and I can't wait to load for it. I think it'll make a dandy vermin gun here on the farm.

SSB

mosin9130
11-17-2006, 05:32 AM
Only a caveat with the Cz52: NEVER dry fire it! Doing so, I've broken the percussor's tip after only three or four shots.
My recipe is Lee 93 grs RN and 6,0 grs of N340.

kywoodwrkr
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
My understanding of this cartridge is that it goes from mild to wild real quick.
Research your loads real well is what I have been told.
FWIW.
DaveP

Bodydoc447
11-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Deputy Al,

Scary ain't it?

Sure are fun to shoot, as long as you can find the brass.

Doc

mag_01
11-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Anyone want to help me find my brass ? It is a fun gun and well made like you said----I'm using 6.5 grs. of herco and still working it up a little hotter. I use the Lee 100gr. round nose sized .309

9.3X62AL
11-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's something to do with roller-locking.......the HK-91 and MP-5 REALLY fling the brass, as does the CZ-52 as the velocities elevate. This caliber does very unkind things to varmints at closer ranges, too.

yodar
12-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Almost all of them could use a stronger recoil spring to dump that brass at your feet.

I dont like the mould Lee offers for the Tokarev, tho it shoots excellently and is accurate. I have it in 6-cavity)

I want a bullet that looks a bit more intimidating so I chose Lymans mould for the spirepoint 115 gr M-1 carbine

311516 I think.

The bullet looks wicked and shoots at 1252 fps and is NOT aided by a gascheck and any attempts at higher velocities with the GC,

6 gr power pistol

loudenboomer mit spitzensparken "what the EFF was THAT!?"

yodar

9.3X62AL
12-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I have another rather unusual design (Lyman #311419) that is going to get some R&D work in the 7.62 x 25 and the 30 Luger. This boolit is a round flat nose (93 grains) with gas check shank--and the shank's drive band gap is the "default" lube groove. There is another small groove ahead of it, just right for a roll crimp.....it gets lube, too. We'll see what happens.

singleshotbuff
05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Gentlemen,

Finally got to test some boolit loads in the CZ52 today. I loaded;

CCI-500 small pistol primer
S&B case
5.0grs Unique
120gr Lead boolit sized .309"

Ave velocity: 1251 f.p.s.
E.S.: 12
S.D.: 5.6

Zero signs of pressure. Brass flung a LONG way just like hard ball ammo.

Didn't get a chance to put them on paper, only loaded enough to test function and chronogrpah. I'll load some more tonight and shoot some groups tomorrow.

SSB