PDA

View Full Version : Successful Air Feed for Star (Under $10)

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Had luck today when I decided to try and make my own air feed kit for my star. I took alot of information from this thread and tweaked it a bit.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99330&highlight=star+pressure

Instead of using a hex bolt, I found this fitting at Home Depot. It threads into the top of the lube resovoir and leaves you with a 1/4" male end to attach the air hose fitting (male fitting with female threads).

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100637993&navFlow=3&keyword=watts+a-182&langId=-1&searchRedirect=watts+a-182&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration. endeca.EndecaDataBean%406277ead4&ddkey=THDStoreFinder

I had to beef it way up with teflon tape and also used a flat rubber washer as an o-ring (a small oring may work as long as it is on there tight). I tightened it down on the flat rubber washer to make a tight seal. Make sure that the rubber washer you use is hard to get on...you want it to be tight or else it will ride up the fitting as you tighten the fitting into the top of the star lube cap.

I also used this to make my lube plunger airtight.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathroom-Sinks-Sink-Maintenance-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zapto/R-100163386/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

This isn't the exact kit I got. You just want to make sure that the kit you get has at least 2 or 3 metal washers, 2 rubber washers, and one brass nut. On the top of the plunger (the threaded part) I put the 2 metal washers on, then the 2 rubber washers, then one more metal washer, then the brass nut. As you tighten the nut it will smash the 2 rubber washers, making them fatter. Do this until it is a really tight fit when you put the plunger back in. If your fit is not tight enough, you will hear air leaking out the lube resovoir bleed hole on the back side of the resovoir. Mine leaks but it is such a small leak you can't even hear it. I could probably tighten my rubber washers a bit more.

Then all you need is an o-ring to fit on the inside of the cap. Take your cap to the store and test fit some. I think my o-ring is a #18 or one size bigger...I can't remember.

I don't use a regulator because I have a regulator on the tank to bring it down to 50-60 psi going into the lubrisizer.

Good luck!

Doby45
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Not to be totally ghetto but could you take a thin piece of sheet rubber and place it over the overflow hole and then use a metal hose clamp over that and do the same thing with the air from the bleed hole? I am just asking if that would be possible. Then use the brass fitting you have with lots O' tape and hook the air up? Is it even necessary to have the plunger in the resovoir?

rodsvet
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
You have to have a piston of some sort. Before I gave up and went the cylinder route, I plugged the hole and used my spring and hycar washer setup with just air. It worked OK till air got under the hycar washer. Then I had to take it apart to get the air pocket out and reassemble. A royal pain in the a##. If you have gone far enough to have set it up for air only, it's only another $35-$40 to get the piston and cylinder. It sure eliminates a lot of problems for me. You just need a little heat and you're in Heaven [if you know what I mean]. Good luck, Rod