PDA

View Full Version : My first boolits(need honesty now fellows! LOL)

Jerry Lester
11-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know how many this little butter bowl holds, but I almost filled it.:-D

These are the Saeco 95g SWC. I'm hoping they'll shoot good enough in my new 32 magnum to hit squirrels, and rabbits. Be painfully honest, and let me know if these look as good as they should?

http://i9.tinypic.com/3z2381c.jpg

MT Gianni
11-15-2006, 04:48 PM
From what I see they look fine although they need a bright lube to really set them off. Make sure that the bases have no nicks or dents from dropping out of the mould. Gianni.

KCSO
11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
The ones on top look pretty good, now turn the bowl over.
As to accuracy with the right load those slugs will drop a rabbit or a squirrel at 50 yards every time. I am shooting the same in my Ruger Bisley and have shot groups under 1 1/2" at 50 yards and have killed rabbits at 50 yards often enough.

9.3X62AL
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
They look just fine to me!

44man
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
C'mon now, Your just bragging with that fine job!

Jerry Lester
11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks fellow!

The only thing about'em that is bugging me is the slight line across the nose of each one. I know it's not too critical, but the fact that "I" caused it burns me up.

When I tried my mould for the first time, I smoked it with a candle just like I used to do sinker moulds. I got it built up just a little too much, and it was making my bullets come out with obvious blemishes, so after trying to wipe the cavities out with a rag, I messed up. I chucked up a bronze brush in my Dremel, and tried to very easily clean them up that way. Well, that worked sorta, so I figured if I lightly closed the mould around the spinning brush it'd do great. I messed up, and let the wire loop on the end of the brush get against the halves of the mould, right on the nose section. It wasn't much, but enough to cause just a tiny hint of a ridge across each bullet.:(

To say I'm a perfectionist is a severe understatement, so I'll probably eventually get a new mould if sizing doesn't press this out.:roll:

felix
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
No new mold required! It is the base portion of the boolits that must be intact, and not the nose on a cowboy/Keith type of boolit. ... felix

9.3X62AL
11-15-2006, 07:50 PM
No worries at all, Jerry--those "imprefections" are style elements, and they likely won't last past top punch contact.

Bigjohn
11-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey Jerry,

The look fine from here, way downunder in Aussie, Mate.

So; lube 'em up; load 'em up and start slingin' 'em down range, mate; now that will be the real test.

:castmine:

John.

carpetman
11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
I think I see an air hole in that one. You will need to weigh everyone of them to be sure. Get within .001 grain on each one and reject those out of limits.

NVcurmudgeon
11-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh, great. another new guy putting us od timers to shame. Jerry probably casts in a spotless clean shop, too.

powderburnerr
11-16-2006, 12:07 AM
all bullets with a line across the top will shoot verticle strings if loaded with the line verticle and string horizontaly if loaded flat ... you are at a plateau where you need to relieve your self of all them improperly cast little soldiers , If you presist and load and shoot such atrocities you must be willing to suffer the consequences ,,,ie groups less than 1 hole and missed pot fillers at 200 yds there fore I recommend you recast them into ingots and mail the to carpet man to weigh , I think your ingots were out of spec................Dean

45nut
11-16-2006, 04:56 AM
:kidding: a lil bit maybe Dean?

Priceless though and quite insightful :Fire:

:drinks:

fatnhappy
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I wish my first boolits looked that good. :coffee:

nighthunter
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Jerry ... I think those bullets are going to perform quite nicely. You have seemed to have had some very good luck or tutoring for your first casting session. Make sure you let us know how those beauties shoot.
Nighthunter

targetshootr
11-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Before I can say for sure, send me the ones in the bowl.... but feel free to shoot up the others.

:coffee:

Jerry Lester
11-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Jerry ... I think those bullets are going to perform quite nicely. You have seemed to have had some very good luck or tutoring for your first casting session. Make sure you let us know how those beauties shoot.
Nighthunter

No tutoring.

I talked to Lloyd Smale for about an hour on the phone a while back, and I've been reading a lot of the posts on here.

As far as sending samples out, well, I'll send each one of you one bullet, and you let me know how it shot.:-D [smilie=1: :-D

ron brooks
11-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Jerry,

Don't you know that it takes at least a group of 50 to get an idea of how the bullets are really preforming, and a group of a hundred is even better? Yeah, a hundred would be a bout write. PM me for my address.

;)Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. ;)

Ron

P.S. Dadgmmit, where is that yanking your chain thingy? What I get for using Quick Reply

dltaskey
11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
I dunno, they seem awful shiny to me. All mine come out frosty grey. I always throw the shiny ones back in.

PatMarlin
11-17-2006, 01:17 AM
I think the parting lines may cause horizontal stringing. Better start over.. :mrgreen:

Topper
11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
"all bullets with a line across the top will shoot verticle strings if loaded with the line verticle and string horizontaly if loaded flat" lol
What you been smoking powerburnerr lol.
Jerry. looks like you off to an excellent start;)

powderburnerr
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
topper ..
.why sir I do not partake of the evil weed ... but I will tell you a story 10 different ways before I will lie to you.........Dean

waksupi
11-18-2006, 12:20 AM
all bullets with a line across the top will shoot verticle strings if loaded with the line verticle and string horizontaly if loaded flat ...Dean

This is a very astute observation. We have also noticed the same phenomena over the years, with muzzleloaders. you must be very careful when sighting in, if using the standard striped pillow ticking type patching. By rotating the stripes around, the ball will follow the pattern. So, if you are shooting high, rotate the patch until the shots are hitting center.
:kidding:

9.3X62AL
11-18-2006, 12:33 AM
That explains a lot, Ric. Many thanks!

Ricochet
11-18-2006, 01:39 AM
As far as sending samples out, well, I'll send each one of you one bullet, and you let me know how it shot.:-D [smilie=1: :-D

I believe I can shoot a one hole group with it.

Sven Dufva
11-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Very nice!
What alloy do you use?

LET-CA
11-18-2006, 02:11 AM
I'll share the advice I was given. "Go shoot them before you start thinking of those beautiful bullets as posessions. You don't want to save them, you want to use them!" By the way, it looks like you did it right. - All the best.

Sven Dufva
11-18-2006, 02:33 AM
I dunno, they seem awful shiny to me. All mine come out frosty grey. I always throw the shiny ones back in.

I dont think shiny is wrong the most importen is if you have sharp corners and a flat base. Its not isy holding temp perfect on both mould and alloy so you can drop out perfect shiny bullets, but it is not impossible.

Jerry Lester
11-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Very nice!
What alloy do you use?

Just wheel weights. I sorted them out, and seperated the painted ones from the un-painted ones. These came from the un-painted ones.

PatMarlin
11-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Painted boolits keyhole. Dark paint upside down, light paint right side up. Cull those.