PDA

View Full Version : tin and antimony source

fishboy747
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Who and how much do you pay for these products. I have access to some pure sheet lead and I believe I will need to add to get the right hardness. It would be great if the seller used flat rate boxes to ship. I am trying to get all the lead I can while it is available.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Linotype and Monotype are good sources of antimony with some tin.
Leadfree solder is a good source for Tin.
both of these are regularly available in the sellin' and swappin' section
But you have to watch and act fast...
or Evilbay (buy there at your own risk)

use this link from the bottom of this page for
what types of alloy have what metals in them,
and recipes of how much to blend to get
the desired bullet alloy.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Ole
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Rotometals sells a product called "super hard" that was specifically made to sweeten pure lead into bullet casting alloys.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/30_antimony_70_lead.htm

fredj338
02-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I would suggest against trying to alloy pure antimony. It's best added as part of an alloy for easiest melt. I use Rotometals as a base for what I would pay locally for metals. When you see what they get for bulk lead or ww equiv alloy, you then don't feel bad paying $1/# for known ww alloy. I do buy tin from Rotometals, in bar form, it's cheaper than solder.

lwknight
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Pure antimony is difficult to alloy. Its cheaper per pound of antimony to buy rotometals supperrhard 30% antimonial lead if you count the balance of lead as worth anything.

The cheapest tin I have found was on flea bay. It was 5 pound rolls of 63/37 rosin core solder for $19.95 per roll plus shipping works out under $10.00 per pound of tin plus you get some lead to boot.

bumpo628
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Shotshell shot is a good source of antimonial lead. If you use the cheaper reclaimed shot, I imagine that you would get a mix of chilled and magnum shot. Around here, you can get reclaimed shot for $1 per lb. at the reloading store.

Chilled Shot (2% Antimony, 98% Lead)
Magnum Shot (5% Antimony, 95% Lead)

robertbank
02-14-2011, 10:52 AM
For tin try radiator shops. Get their slag from soldering up radiator caps and just smelt it down like you would WW. 50% tin.

Take Care

Bob

rockrat
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
PM sent