PDA

View Full Version : Have to make you all jealous.

44man
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Spent a few days making a new transfer bar for a revolver where the end was right at the bottom of the pin so I could not reduce the pull. Worked out fine.
I had started some sourdough a few weeks ago and finally mixed a batch for pancakes. Unreal with pure maple syrup and butter. We finished the rest this morning and after working in the fridge, they were a little more tangy.
I have made this stuff for years but we never keep up with it.
When you make the pancake mix, add egg yolks and beat the whites until stiff, then fold in. Use hot oil to crisp them.
Next will be waffles and bread.

Jeff H
02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
OK, it worked - I am jealous. And now I am hungry.

My wife has not had a sourdough going for a month or so now and I miss coming home to the smell of fresh bread.

Your pancake recipe sounds like my waffle recipe.

MT Gianni
02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
3 cups starter, one egg, one tsp salt, one tsp sugar, 1/2-3/4 tsp baking soda. Add 2 tbsp oil before cooking. That is my pancake recipe. They are flavorful but flat as crepes.

9.3X62AL
02-14-2011, 02:19 AM
44 Man--

Thanks loads. Now, I'm hungry.

Whatta guy.

missionary5155
02-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Good morning
Can smell-em cooking from down here.. Would have been far better with a Photo !
Mike in Peru

44man
02-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I have an OLD, OLD waffle iron that belonged to my mother. Haven't used it for years.
Does anyone have a good sourdough waffle recipe?
I know it is off topic but we need to take a break after working on a gun! :holysheep
Making a transfer bar by hand has to be the worst job ever. This one was the shortest I ever seen and depended on a full trigger pull to cover the pin. It took 3/32" more length---all that work for so little! I have this one down under 2#.
I remember my old IHMSA days when they would not let you shoot a Ruger if the trigger pushed your finger forward at sear break. Hang fires or failures were not allowed. I am at the exact point where the trigger stays in place and does not move back more either.

BABore
02-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I just showed my daughter the hows and whys of making French bread yesterday. This was directly after I came home from a few hours of wheel gun shooting various cast boolit loads (to keep this on topic in this sub-forum). I used a sourdough starter for the sponge. The date on top of my sourdough container is "1988".

44man
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I just showed my daughter the hows and whys of making French bread yesterday. This was directly after I came home from a few hours of wheel gun shooting various cast boolit loads (to keep this on topic in this sub-forum). I used a sourdough starter for the sponge. The date on top of my sourdough container is "1988".
Wonderful, I bet it is good.
The problem is taking care of it and finding time to use it enough. I have never gotten the wife to use it so it is up to me.
Looking on shelves in the basement shows tons of cooking stuff that has never been used.
I even have a bunch of dutch ovens, the kind you bury. I need to make a fire hole out back.
I don't camp to hunt anymore but I used to make bannock and put chucks in the ovens.
I remember the time I made a big pot of venison stew in the dutch oven. It was great but a beetle flew into it and Carol dumped the rest out. [smilie=l: I was fit to be tied! The beetle did not eat that much! :bigsmyl2: What is wrong with women? The beetle was probably tasty. I eat those 17 year cicadas and they are good. Grass hoppers taste like, well GRASS!
I get even now and then and use the garlic roaster so she sleeps in the family room. [smilie=p: You should hear her bitch when she goes in to make the bed--HEE, HEE!

BABore
02-14-2011, 12:08 PM
When I'm not casting and shooting wheel guns, I keep my sourdough starter in one of those glass containers with bail top glass lid and rubber gasket. The original destructions said to keep out a half cup of starter and return to the jar after making the sponge. If it was kept unused for more than a few weeks that it should be made into a dough and then kept wrapped refrigerated for up to a month. That's BS! First off I keep about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of starter in the frig instead of the measily 1/2 cup. It works up your sponge faster and gives more flavor. It also provides a larger working culture should some of the wild yeasties give up the ghost. I was keeping it for 3-6 months like this without use and it held up. If I felt the need I might add a pinch of sugar every now and then for the yeast to feast on. Some say you shouldn't adulterate a starter with anything except flour and water, but I've never found any off-flavors from a pinch of sugar a couple times a year. Now that my daughter found that she likes SD pancakes about three times a week, the starter never gets unused for more than a week or so. I still abide by the SD rules of never letting the starter ever touch any metal.

I thought I lost my original culture about 10 years ago due to a small disaster. The container hit the floor while digging for something in the frig and shattered. Luckily I had given a friend a sample a few months prior and he hadn't used or tainted it yet. My daughter just turn 10. I told her that she would likely get a culture from mine to use and pass along to her family. While my starter has good flavor, I sure would like a sample from one of our San Francisco area members to play with.

44man
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes, keep a good quantity and sugar is good, just turns to alcohol and CO-2.
I don't know what 1/2 cup is good for! I take a quart out just for pancakes. I want the real stuff not wait for a sponge to work.
OK for bread to rise that way but the more starter the faster things go and the better the flavor.
Babore, you are the boolit man, the mold man and now the bread man---You do us honors!

sixshot
02-14-2011, 01:28 PM
My wife & I had sourdough pancakes (flippers) yesterday. I bake sourdough bread at least once a week, the folks here in the RV park rave about it....along with sourdough biscuits that we share with some of them. Not to mention my dutch oven peach or blackberry cobblers. I make a double batch of cobbler in a #12 dutch oven & can usually feed 25 people if I serve the fat guys last!

Dick

2 dogs
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
You prolly wouldnt have any for yourself if you only made it in a #12 with me and Jeff there.....

44man
02-14-2011, 03:08 PM
You prolly wouldnt have any for yourself if you only made it in a #12 with me and Jeff there.....
Me neither! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

mtnman31
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I've got a sourdough culture that is somewhere around 40 years old. My girlfriend had a bottle of the starter passed on to her from a co-worker. I keep it in the fridge in the same type of container that BABore described. It makes bread that is great for toast and snacking. I've never even thought of using it for pancakes or waffles till this thread. I'll have to do some experimenting.

I've also got a live starter for sweet bread (some call it friendship bread). It is sinfully delicious. The sourdough culture is easily maintained and seems to be pretty resilient. The sweet bread starter is more work to keep healthy. It keeps at room temp and if you aren't baking with it regularly, it uses up a lot of ingredients to keep it alive.

What was this thread about originally? Serious thread drift here :)

44man
02-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Fun though! :bigsmyl2: Just shows how close we all are and how bad it is to live so far apart.