PDA

View Full Version : flash on my boolits (hairs)

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
i get these hairs on my boolits i clean my mold make a few shots and i get them back i dont see any thing on the mold my lead temp is right around 740/760 deg WW lead what eles could it be thanks

Dennis Eugene
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM
ok guessing ,because of your top punch post that this is an RCBS mold. And if I'm guessing correctly what I would try is take a small hammer and knocking the alignment pins in just a hair. I thinking that the pins are not letting the mold close fully and that if you squeeze the handles very tightly it does close ,henceforth no finning on the bullet but if not then some fining occurs. With the limited amount of info given that's about the most help I can offer. Dennis

btroj
02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. If you mean whiskers in the sides of the bullet after casting then you are getting lead in the vent grooves. Could be the mould not closing all the way, vents being larger than needed, pressure casting. Too many variables to be sure without more info.

Can you post a photo of what you have?

USAF Shirt
02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Like btrog said, My guess is you are pressure casting..is your mould making contact with the spout when you are pouring? If so, leave a little space and pour. This will cure the "hair" problem...especially when your alloy and mould are up to temp.

If you are getting "flashing" (Fins) on your bullets thats a different story..your mould is not closing all the way.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Like btrog said, My guess is you are pressure casting..is your mould making contact with the spout when you are pouring? If so, leave a little space and pour. This will cure the "hair" problem...especially when your alloy and mould are up to temp.

If you are getting "flashing" (Fins) on your bullets thats a different story..your mould is not closing all the way.

dang you are good i was holding the mold up tight to the spout i left a little space and all the ( wiskers ) went away thanks to all of you for your help

peerlesscowboy
02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
dang you are good i was holding the mold up tight to the spout i left a little space and all the ( wiskers ) went away thanks to all of you for your help
I'd guess the "hairs" went away and instead now you're getting rounded corners that should be sharp? Personally I'd rather have the "hairs".

John C. Saubak

stubshaft
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Not neccessarily, I don't think that I own a mould that I have to pressure cast with to get good fillout and sharp edges.

It is the balance between alloy temp, mould temp and casting cadence.

btroj
02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't have trouble with good fill out and I never pressure cast.

I was glad to be of help.

geargnasher
02-14-2011, 12:38 AM
For the love of God, use some punctuation! I can hardly decipher the question.

Gear