PDA

View Full Version : paper patch abrasive?

odemon1pep
02-13-2011, 09:21 AM
i'm new casting and thinking of trying to paper patch some 8mm boolits. i have read that PP also helps clean the bore as you fire a PPCB. i have also read that after PP dries some members say it is very hard. now for the question. in normal paper (the type you can write on with a ball point pen) paper mills have to add an abrasive to the paper when they make it other wise pens and pencils will not write on it(source the discovery channel-how things are made). i wonder if thats why PP cleans the bore and the abrasive is soft enough not to hurt the rifling. what do you think?

Dan Cash
02-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I am not sure all paper have clay or other abrasive added as in slick magazine papers. Pens and pencils will write just fine on home made paper with out abrasive additives. Recycled paper tends to have metalic artifacts in it which will quickly wear the nib of a fountain pen. A gold nib is much softer than a gun barrel so it seems doubtful that recycled paper will destroy your bore. All paper will polish metal; that paper with metalic artifacts or clay additives for brilliance or slickness will polish more/faster but surely won't wear as fast a metal jackets. I would not worry about it. A firearm is a thermal engine subject to wear. Shoot it enough to wear it out, you will be a very good shot and can rebarrel it.

montana_charlie
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34782

CM

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
An old Savage 110 30-06 I bought used a little while back had some copper wash near the muzzle visible. After shooting about 2 dozen PP bullets the copper wash was almost completely gone. I believe another dozen, more or less, and it will disappear completely. This was using school notebook paper my grand daughter "loaned" me. It appears to have some cleaning and "fire lapping" qualities.

Mike

docone31
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I fired my patched loads in my Enfield, O3-A3, and Mouser.
All the bores are bright shiney now. Sharp rifleing, shiney bores.
It all worked well.

pdawg_shooter
02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I have heard for years about paper ruining the bore. It is said paper will dull you knife. Tell you what, sharpen you knife up and cut through a couple hundred sheets of paper. Now resharpen that same knife and see how many jacketed bullets you can cut through. I have one rifle with over 6000 paper patched rounds through it and the bore looks like new, except for a bit of erosion up by the chamber. I dont think I can live long enough to shoot out a bore with paper.

odemon1pep
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
thank you for you input. so i take it that if there is an abrasive in the paper its not enough to hurt the steel of the barrel, but is harsh enough to remove everything else you didnt want in the bore in the first place. i guess it is time to lean the art of paper patching to clean out some of the surplus rifles i have.

sawbuck
02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
PP'n boolits is not to clean the bore of a rifle , but rather a way to make a lead projectile move down the bore faster than w/o the PP ,and after lots of time finding the right combination , do it very accurately . However you would be correct if you figured that PP won't lead the bore nor will it leave copper deposits .

pdawg_shooter
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Paper patching is more of an art than a science. Every firearm is just a little different. It will however allow you to get jacketed bullet accuracy and velocity with cast. And besides, it is FUN! You show up at the range with that bit of paper sticking out of you brass people snicker. When you out shoot their high dollar factory ammo you will get lots of questions, but no more snickers.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=pdawg_shooter;1162718]Paper patching is more of an art than a science.

Very true....... Sometimes I wonder if it might be one of the "black arts", especially after a bewildering afternoon at the range. :wink:

Mike

Hardcast416taylor
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Now if I can just convince that it is an art to my arthritic fingers, I might start making Mona Lisas not abstract art!Robert

nanuk
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Now if I can just convince that it is an art to my arthritic fingers, I might start making Mona Lisas not abstract art!Robert

try the cigarette roller?

pdawg_shooter
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Docone sent me a roller awhile back, and while it works I get better more uniform patches on a rubber rolling block. To each his own, I guess. For me the secret to accuracy is uniformity. In the bullet, the patch and the load. A rifle will perform with paper as well as, and sometimes better than, with jacketed. Besides, its fun!

barrabruce
02-20-2011, 08:39 AM
And will keep you off the streets .
Nutritional for the sole
And above all cheap!!!

:)
Barra

6.5 mike
02-20-2011, 10:20 AM
And sometimes it's bout the only way to get a boolit & rifle to match, that's what got me started. FN 7 m/m with the older pre-war barrel specs.

pdawg_shooter
02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I started patching a old Mauser with a .318 barrel for a buddy. Jacketed .308s patched up shot great and made an old wall hanger into a nice hunting rifle.