PDA

View Full Version : What is it as a linear press?

Swagerman
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I know its not Dillon, even if its blue. But who made this contraption, and did it actually function well.

The reloading dies are reputed to be of the size like a Star. However, don't see why it could have its die thread holes opened up to standard size 7/8X14 type.

Its presently on an auction site. Shipping cost is $30.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/ed52_12.jpg

Beau Cassidy
11-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php/topic,355.0.html

Bullshop
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Looks like a multi use tool. The top looks to be a barrel vice. Wonder how many other tools are hidden in there?
BIC/BS

Swagerman
11-15-2006, 03:31 PM
BC, thanks for the K.L. Walters link. :coffee: That explained it for sure. Walters has had hands on with just about everything to do in reloading machines.

These linear row loading machines have never had a good reputation as far as the ones I've seen discussed. The RCBS and C-H linear press were duds and never worked very well without constant tinkering that seldom paid off.

The revolving turret styles have proven to be the best so far.

Jim

Poygan
11-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I bought a RCBS Green Machine at an auction a few years ago. It was set up for .357 and I could never get it to prime consistently...maybe the units set up for the large primers worked better. Because of the priming problem, I used it very little, although it seemed to work well otherwise. Thankfully, there was the ebay solution.

However, it did end all desire for a progressive reloader.

fecmech
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
"The RCBS and C-H linear press were duds and never worked very well without constant tinkering that seldom paid off."

I currently have two of the CH presses an Auto Champ III that I've had since new(1975) and just bought an Auto Champ 5a used. They are a little touchy on set up, but once set up run fine. A modicum of mechanical ability helps to keep them running smooth. I can comfortably load 400 per hour on them, and the Mark III has loaded well over 100,000 rds to date.

Dale53
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I have also used a C-H - in fact, in five years I loaded and shot 75,000 rounds in IPSC competition, all loaded on the CH Auto Champ. It helps a bit to be mechanical. They just needed a bit of help along the way. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend ANY progressive press unless you have a bit of mechanical skill.

When the Dillon came out, I was given the opportunity to use if for nearly a year. After the year was up I bought it and later it became a 550B. I went with the Dillon simply because I could load rifle AND pistol on it. The CH was limited to the shorter rounds.

I prefer the Dillon and find the loading speed to be similar. I can easily load 500 rounds per hour if someone will load my primer tubes. I don't mean "at the rate" of but 500 actual rounds in less than 60 minutes. I have been timed a couple of times.
FWIW

Dale53

Swagerman
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Glad to see a couple of positive reactions to the linear mode presses.

I once was talking to Dave the owner of C-H, he said they were a bit trouble some, though he doesn't plan on making them anymore, because they were made before he acquired the company. But he still has some parts for the C-H linear model...but that was a couple of years ago.

Some of you guys are tops when it comes to wrenching and working on projects, so a linear press shouldn't be too much a chore. :)

Jim

Swagerman
11-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Six hours to go on the auction and its up to $71 for this linear door stop, plus $30 for shipping.

Guess its a good deal if you're a collector.

Holy Ike, it went for $171 plus the shipping charge.

Jim :mrgreen:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/ed52_12.jpg