PDA

View Full Version : Lee new Autoprime hard priming?

HARRYMPOPE
02-13-2011, 02:48 AM
My old one finally took the big dump so i decided to buy the new "explosion proof" square tray model.The force to prime rifle cases is horrible compared to the old one.Any one else tried one with similar results.

H

02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm experiencing the same problem with an old-stlye Auto Prime, that I bought just before the new design became available. I measured the new connecting rod against one from my ancient Auto Prime, and found it was longer. I installed the old rod in the new primer and it works as designbed.

I e-mailed Lee -- their phone is always busy -- two weeks ago, asking for a replacement connecting rod and have not received a reply.

I filed the new rod to the same length as the old and it helped some. However, the force required to seat a primer is still considerable, causing me to wonder when the lever will break.

To add to my Lee woes, I just received a set of Lee 6-cavity handles and the fingers are too tall and don't fit a Lee 6-cavity mould. Thankfully, Midway has a replacement set on the way.

zuke
02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Have you greased the linkage pivot point's?

bumpo628
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Some brands of primers seat harder than others.

For example:
Tula is hard.
Winchester is easy.

02-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I was seating Wolf large pistol primers, but I was able to seat them using one finger, with the older connecting rod. Also, seating Wolf small pistol primers with the old connecting rod is a one finger operation.

Still haven't heard from Lee...

HARRYMPOPE
02-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Have you greased the linkage pivot point's?

yes and it didn't help.

H

HARRYMPOPE
02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Some brands of primers seat harder than others.

For example:
Tula is hard.
Winchester is easy.

I understand that,but Winchester LP pretty soft and when i switched back to the old tool they went in slick as l goose poop.

HMP

02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Follow up:
Last night, I sent Lee another e-mail. This afternoon, they sent a reply saying that they will be shipping parts to correct the problem.

Parts include two new primer punches and two new primer trays -- the relpy said that the existing trays will not work with the new punches. Hmmm...makes me wonder if the replacement parts are from their recently redesigned Auto Prime.