PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 and 57 grips

robroy
02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I have one of each. The model 19 (.357 mag) really bites my middle finger with the back of the trigger guard. I assume the model 57 (.41 mag ) will as well. I just got the 57 and haven't fired it yet.

Both have the factory wooden grips and with my big fingers there is only about a tenth of an inch between the trigger guard and my digit. Do the Hogue rubber grips give any more clearance than the wooden ones? Do the rubber grips allow a firmer grip so the gun doesn't slide through ones hand?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

arjacobson
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a model 19. Ended up putting pachmeyer rubber grips on it. Cant recall the exact model but they have the finger grooves... MUCH better now!!

Houndog
02-13-2011, 09:33 AM
I have a model 19. Ended up putting pachmeyer rubber grips on it. Cant recall the exact model but they have the finger grooves... MUCH better now!!

+1 on what he said, except mine don't have the finger grooves. I use the same model grips on a M29 and a M24 as well as the M19.

ReloaderFred
02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
The Hogue finger groove grips will help tame both revolvers. My duty gun for years was a 6" Model 57. Mine wore Pachmayr grips, but now wears Hogue finger groove grips, as well as my Model 629. My Model 19's carry Pachmayr grips for the most part, but a couple of them have Hogues as well. Either one will help.

Hope this helps.

Fred

robroy
02-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I hope to shoot the 57in silhouette and so want the hogue grips because they are a S&W catalogue item. I'll get em from Brownells at half the price but it's the same grip as available on-line from S&W

pmeisel
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I put Pachmayrs on my 19 and my Python. I am thinking about getting some Jordan Troopers, though... the Pachmayrs seem a little narrow to me.

theperfessor
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I have long fingers so I like rubber grips that cover the backstrap on my N frames. Folks with shorter fingers are probably better off with the ones that don't. The most comfortable grips are the factory X frame grips I have on my 625. Sweet!