PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted on New Pistol

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I am ready to venture into the world of the non-production single action handguns. I am wanting a handgun probably in 44 magnum roughly the same frame size / weight (or lighter) as a standard blackhawk. I am looking to spend around a thousand for this weapon. It will NOT be ported. Barrel length from 5 - 6 inches. Problem is, you read a company's advertisements, they all sound like they make everything one could want. Can anyone give me some real world advice on handgun makers? Am I just as well off buying a ruger and sending it for a custom job? That would be 550.00 for the pistol, and 450.00 for the work. Again, a thousand dollars. This weapon will be used for bummin around, working, hunting (under 100 yards), plinking, and backup to a deer rifle. Although it will be expensive, I am mainly looking for the ultimate in accuracy. I have just had my fill of restricted barrels, poorly cut forcing cones, chattered rifling, crappy triggers, and poor sights. 3 inches at 25 yards is not as good as I can shoot, but seems to be about all a factory pistol will do.

MtGun44
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I have a S&W 629 recent vintage with the 6.5" Powerport bbl that will do 2" or a touch better
at 50 yds with Kieth's load. That was good enough for my purposes (look at pic at left) so
I have not (yet) spent more time on it, I just load that load and know it will work for me.
That is rested with a scope. Throats were perfect, the bbl is a replacement put in by a gunsmith,
factory S&W bbl put in correctly so no restriction at the threads.

Bill

EDITED: I apologize - missed the 'non-production single action" key intro, sorry to waste your time.

targetshootr
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
You can have most any Ruger turned into a premium shooter for that kind of money. Problem is that most of them come out of the box already plenty accurate, especially the new flat tops. Sounds like you just want a custom gun, and I like em that way myself. One of my favorites is a 5 screw 28 that now wears a 4" 44 mag heavy barrel and 44 mag cylinder. And cokes.

looseprojectile
02-12-2011, 08:15 PM
a nice old three screw Super Blackhawk. I have had at least six and when I was young none would shoot worse than an inch at twenty five yards. Made lots of very long range shots that surprised me and my shooting partner. You don't want to hear my Grizzly and Mountain Goat stories.
A near new one should set you back five or six hundred. Go shoot.
It's easy to have an inch and a half cut off the barrel if you want. It don't hurt.
I gave one to a friend and he had it cut to a five and a half inch barrel and it shot the same.
I carried mine in a Lawrence shoulder holster in the high country and it was so comfortable I felt like I was not carrying a gun.

Life is good

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I appreciate all the opinions offered. I can only go on what little experience I have, so that said, two blackhawks I have had had undersized cylinder throats. One had such a poor trigger that lapping out the grooves left by machining the parts left the trigger too touchy for my liking. Then it was a 75.00 fix. My Colt python has such a constricted barrel it wont shoot anything well. Piece of....... Several used 29's have come and gone. ALL of them eventually developed crane alignment issues. No I dont Bogey my cylinder open or shut. Another blackhawk had the pinned in front sight so loose, it would change my elevation point depending on where the front sight rested. I respect the makers of these firearms for what they do, but after hearing of some of Rugers customer service, Colt's high A#@ shop time, and Smith and Wesson's crane / yolk problems, I am just past it. Im done. I am especially not paying for the 700.00 Smith only to have a nightmare of trips back and forth to the factory. I shoot my guns. Lots. And I just dont have the tolerance for crappy workmanship or snappy customer service persons any more.

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
And YES, by God; I WANT a custom pistol.

kweidner
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
are you looking for new or used? what about a good used Dan Wesson? Realistically for the money you are talking about you are really limited to the ones mentioned or a used one. Provided you find a nice frame. EWK makes barrels and shrouds. you can get one in the cheap. I have shot many and have recently acquired one. Awesome is the word that somes to mind. curse keep in mind DW are double action but can be fired SA.

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I would sure consider a used one. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was just looking to see if anyone could personally recommend a manufacturer.

bhn22
02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
You may be able to find yourself a clean used Freedom Arms Field Model for about that price. Buying a new gun anymore is a crapshoot.

S.R.Custom
02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Check your PM in box. ;)

targetshootr
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I dunno man, it sounds like you enjoy being unhappy. A nice gun might give you a stroke.

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I dunno man, it sounds like you enjoy being unhappy. A nice gun might give you a stroke.

Well, maybe... but what a way to go!!

Bass Ackward
02-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I am ready to venture into the world of the non-production single action handguns. I am wanting a handgun probably in 44 magnum roughly the same frame size / weight (or lighter) as a standard blackhawk. I am looking to spend around a thousand for this weapon. It will NOT be ported. Barrel length from 5 - 6 inches. Problem is, you read a company's advertisements, they all sound like they make everything one could want. Can anyone give me some real world advice on handgun makers? Am I just as well off buying a ruger and sending it for a custom job? That would be 550.00 for the pistol, and 450.00 for the work. Again, a thousand dollars. This weapon will be used for bummin around, working, hunting (under 100 yards), plinking, and backup to a deer rifle. Although it will be expensive, I am mainly looking for the ultimate in accuracy. I have just had my fill of restricted barrels, poorly cut forcing cones, chattered rifling, crappy triggers, and poor sights. 3 inches at 25 yards is not as good as I can shoot, but seems to be about all a factory pistol will do.

Problem is that just because you go custom, doesn't mean that you will get .... "perfectly" what you want. That is because you won't know how it's going to "feel" until you get it back. Or that it won't require some adjustment to suit you. That's just how it is no matter who makes it.

So you need to understand the custom process with it's advantages and .... shortfalls before you jump.

I like cut rifled barrels. I particularly like cut rifled barrels for cast. The only manufacturers that use this type of barrel for SA that I know of are Freedom and BFR. BFR has the caliber and barrel length for about the price range you are looking.

Go handle one to see if it trips your trigger. Realize that you may want to alter grip or sights or trigger at some point in your life and these should NOT be looked upon as defects. Think of them as on going personalization's.

But the quality (or lack of defects you mention) should show through.

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I forgot all about BFR... Thanks.

looseprojectile
02-12-2011, 10:35 PM
You started this thread asking what custom pistol others would choose.
You have gotten several opinions.
We all know about opinions.
My opinion is that a Ruger Super Blackhawk would be suitable for your use.
I have never measured a Super Blackhawk for barrel constriction or measured the cylinder throats. Never had to. They all just shot really good with my loads.
Understand that I am refering to an OLD model THREE screw SUPER BLACKHAWK here. I had to wait for Ruger to invent those before I could own and shoot one.
Before that I had completely worn out a three screw .357 flattop that I bought in 1956 for $87.50 no tax. I bought a replacement .357 flattop in the mid sixties because the old worn out one had never broken or let me down in any way.
Understand here that for my money a first generation Super Blackhawk is considered by me to be a custom gun. They made them better before the lawyers made them quit. If you are afraid it will go off if you drop it, don't load it.
All that said, I hope that you don't decide to buy an old model Super Blackhawk revolver. I am afraid you won't like it and it will be my fault. It's your money, spend it the way that amuses you the most. That's the way I do it.

Life is good

targetshootr
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
One of my best guns is a Bisley using a maximum cylinder line-bored to 45 colt with a 5 1/2" barrel. Shoots like a rifle and didn't cost much, didn't even need bluing. It was done by a well known gunsmith and I had to send it back a couple of times. Even they make mistakes.

x101airborne
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
I completely agree that the old model super blackhawks were premium firearms. Like you said, the lawyers made them quit. But also, it seems more of their focus is being put on numbers produced, not quality. All of my experience has been with new models, although I did own a flattop 357 for a while when I was out of high school, but had to sell it when I lost my job. I was not the pistol shooter then I am now. I am really liking the idea of the BFR. I think that is about where I want to be unless S R Custom has a present for me.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-12-2011, 11:48 PM

x101airborne
02-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Not a SA, but . . . I bought my SRH Alaskan in 44 Mag, no weird cylinders, no barrel restrictions . . .

[smilie=s:

Again on limited experience, but I think you got lucky.

Mavrick
02-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Tho' I'm not a fan of the .44, I am a fan of the "walkin' 'round" gun. I've recently looked at a few RBH flattops in .44 Spl. The RBH is also around in .44Mag, so it'd be some easier to get cases for. The 4 5/8-barrelled version is easy to carry for long periods. I carry two of them (not at the same time. lol)
My favorite is a .30 Carbine with 4 5/8"....yup, customized.
You might try one of the online dealer forums to see who might have one of the Old Models. You can then send it to one of the customizers.....Reeder, for one.
Recently, I found a RBH OM .41mag with 4 5/8 to replace one I used to carry before a divorce. Trouble this time was a strange "tic" in the truck!!
Have fun,
Gene

x101airborne
02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
And really the only reason I chose the 44 mag is its versatility. If you want light plinkers, 44 spl and 200gr wadcutters. if you want medium hunting, 44mag cases, unique, and 240gr swc's. If you find yourself in bear country, the ranch dog 300 gr and all the h-110 it will hold. And Lord knows how many molds there are for the 44's.

white eagle
02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I would look at BFR's for my next handgun

Tommy Kelly
02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I believe If I were you I'd go for a ruger blackhawk in the 41 magnum caliber. They are extremely accurate guns from the start and I have heard of no issues with them as far as sizing. I prefer the 4 5/8" guns they pack easily and are a great shooting gun with less recoil than a 44 mag. I would change out the hammer spring to a heavier spring to reduce hammer travel time and do a little sear work myself and have a great little gun for around 1/2 the money you have then buy ammo with the rest and shoot a lot and get to know the gun. I already have the gun just not the ammo but I really enjoy shooting it and will eventually round up a good supply of ammo for it.

45r
02-13-2011, 04:45 PM
If it was me I'd look for a F/A model 83 in 44mag.You might have to spend a little more but it wouldn't loosen up for a long,long time if ever.A BFR would be probly the next best choice if you can't find a M-83.Sometimes you can get a good deal on GB or AA.

NHlever
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
It's my understanding that $1000 won't buy you much in the way of a custom gun, twice that might, and three times that will get you something pretty nice. Even the FA guns are closer to $2000, and no guarantee of perfect either. S&W's I haven't owend for a while, I got burned a couple of times on their stuff when they were going through a bad spell, and it's too expensive for that so you are treading in narrow ground. Lately I've been going over both used, and new guns as carefully as possible, and choosing the best I can find knowing I might have missed something and will end up trading again. Tomorrow I am going to a gun shop that has 4 old model 3 screw .357 Blackhawks that can be bought for $325 or so. I'll probably pick what I think is the best of the bunch, and buy it. Possibly I could get that made into a .44 Special for under a thousand, and maybe not. Like you, I don't need engraving, but I sure want something that shoots, functions, and is dimensionally correct!

tek4260
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Really sounds like you need a FA 97. Most everything else will have a small hitch or 2. Nothing major mind you, but something that will take a few moments to correct. Fermin has an excellent article on fire lapping on gunblast. Several threads here about lightening the the trigger. Brownells sells tons of fun tools like forcing cone reamers and throating reamers. Tons of aftermarket to make it your own and the fun of doing it all.

As far as the BFR, I have one and they are blocky and heavy. A major thumbs down. But they shoot great if mine is anything like the rest of them which redeems it in my eyes.

Char-Gar
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I am a huge fan of the 44 Magnum sixgun and have had one or more since 1962. Over the years I have owned a couple of dozen. Today I have two and they are both crackerjack sixguns.

1. A 5" Smith and Wesson 629 that I bought new in 1991 and it is the best shooting sixgun I have every hand in my hand, and I have had many. It will shoot as well as any linebored, custom sixgun every made. It wears a pair of Herrett's made to measure stocks.

2. A 7.5" Old Model Ruger Super Blackhawk. I paid $225.00 for it in 1993. It was made in the 3rd. year of production. It isn't quite as accurate as the above Smith, but it will shoot far better than I can hold under any and all field conditions. I put a good brushed blue finish on it, and added some exhibition grade walnut grips by Ted Adomavich (Blu-Magnum). I also touched up the trigger a mite.

I have no issues, with the fellow who wants a custom made sixgun. Pride of ownership is a very good thing and provides many hours of pleasure. But let us not forget that highly accurate production sixguns are out there.

NHlever
02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Yesterday I bought a used Ruger 5 1/2" stainless steel Super Blackhawk. The groove dimension is .4295, and the chamber throats are .4305, and the burn rings around each chamber look pretty even. I looked at it in the strongest light I could, and the chambers do look pretty concentric with the bore. I paid $400 for it, and that is probably too much, but is the going rate around here, in fact it is probably more like $425+. I am anxious to shoot it though it is 18 degrees here, and windy today so it may not happen today. The trigger could be a bit better, the grips don't fit perfectly, etc., but using the OP's goal numbers, I have $600 to put in to it, and that will buy quite a bit of tinkering. Things look good, but if for some reason, it doesn't work out, I could trade it a couple of times until I get one that does, and still have money left over for making it nice. That is how I usually end up doing things. Sometimes it takes two or three trades to get a very good shooter, but then I have a known value to work on. You can't even guarantee that with a full custom gun. I have read about tight spots in bores, out of time cylinders, and other problems with them too. Over the years I have gathered a number of really nice shooting guns this way. It cost's me more than being content, and in some cases I have sent stuff back to the factories (with varying results), but I enjoy the trading, tinkering, and having guns that respond to my loading, and shooting efforts. I've learned quite a bit in the process too. Any one of the handguns I have right now ( with this latest one still in question) would be a wonderful candidate to send out to a good smith to be customized if I wanted something special, and I wouldn't have to spend any money having him correct things just to make it shoot. (I guess I already spent some of that money trading, but it has been a fun ride).

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Ive told myself that any more custom guns are out of the question now that im retired. Ive got quite a few of them now and could probably live with what i have. That been said theres one gun id still like to have built. Id love one of the new small framed ajustable sighted 357 rugers converted to 5 shot 44 mag. Make mine a 4 5/8s in blued gun with a case hardened frame and some nice grips. One of these days im going to have to buck up and have Dustin linebaugh or clements do one for me. It would make in my opinion the ultimate light weight holster gun. Problem is like was said your not going to get it for a 1000 bucks. The cost of a new gun is 500 and im betting the work if would cost you a grand and more if you wanted custom grips and case hardening. Now if you found a 44 special gun to start with and used the factory barrel and just had the 5 shot conversion done you could probably get within the 1000 dollar mark but thats still not including the price of the base gun. Ive got a couple FA guns and there real nice guns. But i still prefer a custom gun. Theres just something about having a gun made just how you want it. Many people compain about the long wait for completion but the antisipation is half the fun of doing it.

NHlever
02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Lloyd,
My new flattop 4 5/8" .44 Special is a pretty nice gun, but it weighs exactly the same as my 5 1/2" stainless steel .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk. Converting that to a 5 shot would make it even heavier. I love the size, and but I wish the gun writers hadn't advised Ruger to make it all steel. I was going to have one custom gun before I die, but now I'm not sure what to start with. I do have a 3 screw .357 Blackhawk, but I hatet to mess with that since it is such a good shooter, and both it, and my new model .45 Colt Blackhawks are a quarter pound lighter than my little .44 Special. I think the new flattop .357 anniversary guns feel like a brick in my hand, but that is just me, and years of old model shooting I guess.

jsizemore
02-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Quit half steppin' and buy the Freedom Arms.

bjeffv
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a colt anaconda, that was factory magnaported. Love the trigger on it. Dan wesson also makes some cool wheelguns.

LVRFAN
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Ruger old model Super Blackhawk.