PDA

View Full Version : Identify this set of dies please

NoZombies
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
The mailman has been good to me this week. I received my set of Corbin 6mm dies, and a set of as yet unidentified dies.

I'm trying to figure out who made these dies. They where sold to me as CH dies, but they clearly aren't. They're completely unmarked, and after talking to CH4D, they confirmed that the dies weren't made by them, or any of the companies previous incarnations.

The dies produce a .257 bullet with an ogive that's something between a 6S and an 8S shape (I haven't measured the ogive yet)

The design of the dies is pretty neat, and they seem to be well made. Comparing the workmanship with that of the Corbin dies, they compare favorably. The die bodies are stainless steel, and the point form and core seating inserts seem to be Carbide.

The part of the design I like the most is the ejector arrangement on the point form die. I tried to photograph the captive system it uses.

Does anyone recognize these? Know where they come from or who made them?

http://nozombies.com/swage-1.jpg

http://nozombies.com/swage-2.jpg

http://nozombies.com/swage-3.jpg

BT Sniper
02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a set that looks similar made by SAS (out of businees long ago). Mine have the knerling on the dies. These look to be either custom made or SAS dies with the knerl removed.

Best I can come up with. I am still going with SAS dies with knerl removed from dies to shine them up a bit.

BT

NoZombies
02-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the Input BT.

I suspect they're unmodified, but I could be wrong. They had apparently never been used when they arrived, the core and jacket samples, and lube sample had never been opened before I got my grubby mits on 'em, and other than the lead oxide in the box, the dies and punches didn't have a mark on 'em.

Pavogrande
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I have some SAS dies - says so on the box, but mine do not have the large diameter plunger and spring. In fact the ejector is just a rod about 1/8" diameter with no palm push.
My sets could be incomplete though as they were included with some other bits and pieces I bought.

MIBULLETS
02-13-2011, 01:22 AM
I didn't know SAS made dies for reloading presses. I know they made dies that were the dies Corbin eventally called M dies when he took over the company.

Pavogrande
02-13-2011, 02:35 AM
I certainly could not guarantee these are SAS dies -- The dies are unmarked, the boxes are marked "Shooters Accessory Supply" with a small note "this box contains" then a pencil written contents which has become mostly unreadable.
The die I described earlier appears to be a nose forming die --
Another says " 308 core seater die" - it appears to work by pushing the slug into the inverted cup, has a nominal 1/4" ejector rod that is headless
third die box is marked "308 lead tipped die - spitzer " Has about 5/16 ejector rod but no push in pin.
they all appear to be about regular sizing die size.

that's all folks

gjemba
02-14-2011, 08:41 AM
My Ted Smith (SAS) .308 dies are almost idnetical to yours. My bet is on SAS. Mine were made in the early 70's. I remember sending letters to him, wondering when I would get them. Some of you remember those days. Type or write on paper, stick it in an envelope with a stamp, mail it and wait 3 weeks for a reply. Now a days, we send the communication instantly, but we still wait 3 weeks, or longer, for a reply.

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
very nice dies. I like the knock out handle to keep your hand from hurting after knocking out a few hundred swagings.

NoZombies
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys!

Whenever I get a chance to make some bullets with the dies, I'll post the results here.

It seems like they're probably SAS dies from the consensus here. Cool :)

scrapcan
02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
noZombies,

if you get tired of them let me know, I would be glad to try to fit them into my meager, but hopefully growing SAS tool collection. Just picked up a battery operated powder trickler made and sold by SAS. have a very old TED Smith-SAS marked swage press also. plus a fe wother odds and ends.

Radio Flyer
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
A lot of SAS/Ted Smith dies were sold to companies that marked the boxes with a new logo and sold them under other names.

It is not uncommon to come across old swage dies that are Smith made with other markings.