PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to verify your load data

Ohio Rusty
02-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I am always perusing the net for load data for a couple calibers I shoot. Some places have great info, a few have questionable data. Sometimes the data listed is older and has been changed in recent years. Here is the example I found. There is alot of load data on StevesPages for the calibers I shoot. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what he published for a .38 special, 158 grain LSWC using Unique as the load powder.
His data is published as 3.5 to 6.4 !! The current load data from Alliant is 5.2 grains MAX of Unique !! anything above that is considered to be an overload. I can attest that 5.0 grains of Unique in a .38 special with a .158 grain boolit is pretty punishing from a snubby. His load data on that one load is an overload and I wouldn't consider it safe. The URL is: http://stevespages.com/357p_7_158.html
I have to wonder how many more he lists are overpressure/overload.

I know the current load data and I won't exceed the max, but others not knowing could see this load data and try to load it. That is why you should get several sources of load data so you can verify what is safe and correct for your load and firearm. If folks are not sure .... then ask. There are no stupid questions when it comes to reloading and asking other knowledgable folks.

Ohio Rusty ><>

stubshaft
02-12-2011, 03:43 PM
That is why you normally back off the max load but at least 10% or better yet start with the minimum and work upwards until YOUR gun shows any pressure signs.

02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
This is why I refer to "published" loads versus those found via an Internet search.

9.3X62AL
02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
What 462 said, and add on "multi-sourcing" whenever possible.

No doubt about it, 5.0 grains of Unique is a HEALTHY 38 Special loading.

uncle joe
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
if you are like me and have both new and old load manuals, you will see that loads with the same powder are smaller in the newer manuals. likely from higher insurance costs from lawsuits.

plain old dave
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
That kind of .38 load is something suited for a New Service/ Smith Heavy Duty in .38-44 Spl, OR if for some odd reason you don't have .357 cases.... I think that's .38-44 territory... For the uninitiated, the .38-44 was the precursor to the .357 Magnum. Google "Smith and Wesson Heavy Duty"

oldhickory
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I have nearly 20 load manuals, (not including powder company flyers) for jacketed and cast. When loading something new, I consult all resorces available, manuals, "Hand Loader" magazine, and castboolits.com.-Not in that particular order, but I want as much information as possible, besides safe, it often saves on time and components.

I would never load from just one sorce.

Doc Highwall
02-12-2011, 05:13 PM
That is due to the different lots of components including powder burning speed from lot to lot. Even if the bullets, primers and cases were all from the same lot, the powder manufacturers only hold the burning rate to +/- 10% which in itself can raise or lower pressures a lot. This is why the reloading manuals are guidelines and you are suggested to start at least 10% low and work up your load.

NSP64
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I always load low and come up till accuracy drops off, the go back to most accurate. Rarely do I reach max in any caliber. I think the disparity comes from differences in componants. I noticed the alliant site didn't list pressures.

Pressure varies from gun to gun also. I used to load ammo for my .357 Desert Eagle, that was fine for it, but would flow the primer back into the firing pin hole on my Smith 686.

starmac
02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Several years ago New Mexico changed their rule on paying for your elk tag when you applied for it, instead we just had to send in 6 bucks with the application that came off your liscence if you drew one, but was forfeited if you didn't draw out. We all thought this was a sensible way to do iy, BUT all the anti's decided it was worth it to spend the 6 bucks to keep the tags out of the hunters hands and it was a disaster for the hunters and the state as many tags were never paid for. I can see anti's posting dangerous info on the net on purpose, besides those with good intentions that just make a mistake.

spqrzilla
02-12-2011, 07:11 PM
There is a lot of very dubious stuff on "Steve's" webpages. This is just a small example of why I don't send people there.

BOOM BOOM
02-12-2011, 07:38 PM
HI,
I have 6 manuals, a dozen powder Co. pamphlets, most do NOT recommend exactly the same charges, powders, primers, cases. All these factors can change pressure.
Each gun has it's limits ,likes,etc.
Paper published is a better source, than internet.
But for surplus powders that luxury most often not there. You are often in DARK TERRITORIES so the internet is a big help. BUT USE COMMON SENSE.:Fire::Fire:

btroj
02-13-2011, 10:58 AM
This is why I am skeptical of internet data. I prefer to stick with published manuals from Lyman, the bullet companies, powder companies, and reliable journals such as Handloader. The net just scares me as it is so full of info, some relaible, some just plain scary. And not just on reloading either.
I am also skeptical of any data that promised velocities beyond what seems prudent or possible with other data. If it sounds too good to be true, well, it probably is.