PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Reloading & Cast Bullet Guide

floodgate
11-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Over at least the past 20+ years, Lyman has published a more or less annual update of their little 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", orange-covered, 60 - 80 pp "Reloading and Cast Bullet[sic!] Guide" [see photo below], which is a useful compilation of info on current and recent reloading and casting tools and accessories, with illustrations, descriptions, operating instructions, etc., etc. It also has "exploded" assembly drawings, parts numbers and accessory info. These handy little booklets are currently listed as Part No. 9837283, @$1.95, but are also often included with individual tools or reloading sets. They are well worth picking up whenever you find them at gun shows, dealers' surplus tables, and so on - I got a couple of copies Saturday at the Ukiah show, thrown in with a used tong tool set - and have helped me over the past couple of years in identifying such things as lube-sizer parts, mould repair kits, and so on for myself AND for some of you here, and for figuring out how they operate.

As I have said before, I am accumulating Lyman tools, moulds and parts to study their evolution and development, and find the contemporary editions a useful addition to my (almost) complete files of Lyman / Ideal Handbooks, Annual Product Catalogs, and other Lyman "paper". At the moment, I have issues dated (at the bottom of the front cover): 1983, 11/91, 9/92, and 11/99, and would like to obtain several more for other years, as far back as they go and up to the present. At least until further notice, I will offer a flat $5.00 each for usable, complete copies of any editions I do not have, postage paid via First Class, so PM me if you have any extras, or spot any lying around at a price that will let my offer cover your trouble in finding and sending them. TIA

Doug Elliott

GP100man
11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
floodgate

ill check the dates on mine .

i agree it is a handy little reference book.

scrapcan
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Floodgate,

I too will check the three copies that I have. You are welcome to them if they are years that you do not have. And again it is a handy refrence for parts schematics and general info.

Jeremy

scrapcan
11-17-2006, 12:52 AM
floodgate,

Sent you an email on the handbooks.

Jeremy

floodgate
12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks to a couple of the "good guys" here, a chance encounter on eBay, and Karen at Lyman Customer Service, I am now pretty well covered on the little orange Lyman "Reloading and Cast Bullet Guides" from 1983 to date. But if anyone runs into any pre-1983 issues, please let me know. In return, I can look up part numbers and instructions on Lyman tools from that period, and have a referral from Karen to a person who apparently has taken over some of the older Lyman parts stocks. What a great bunch!

Doug

hydraulic
12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Floodgate; I have a folded sheet that says "Lyman products for shooters". Prices were effective Jan 1, 1956. Front page covers Cutts Compensator, inside has Lyman metalic sights, next page reloading sets, third page bullet moulds and the back telescopic sights. You can have it if you want it. Where do I send it?

floodgate
12-09-2006, 01:35 AM
hydraulic:

Many thanks for the offer, but I just got a copy of that 1/1/56 list along with some other paper from eBay a few weeks back. Hang onto it for future reference.

Doug

Hunter
12-09-2006, 04:01 AM
A friend of mine gave me a copy of 1 and you are welcome to it but it is one you have listed as already having. It is a good reference so if you already have it I will keep my eyes open for pre 1983.
I have found the Lyman manuals excellent reference books.

Ranch Dog
12-09-2006, 07:07 PM
floodgate...

I have the 42nd edition of the Lyman Reloader's Handbook (1960) you are welcome to if you don't have a copy. 180+ pages spiral bound. PM me USPS address...

floodgate
12-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Ranch Dog:

Many thanks! But I do have originals, reprints or copies of all the Lyman / Ideal Handbooks except one of the very early ones (No. 9, from 1897), and all but a few of the Lyman Annual Product Catalogs from the 1950's on. Hang onto yours, they're getting scarce, and increasing in value - after all, yours is getting on towards 50 years old! It is, specifically, the the orange-covered "Reloading and Bulet Casting Guides" from before 1983 that I am looking for; I'm not sure they came out earlier than that.

floodgate

floodgate
12-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Hunter:

Thanks for thinking of me!

floodgate

happy7
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Floodgate,

I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook with the targets and scoped rifle on the cover. I cannot find a date on it. I find it very handy as a reference to Lyman moulds. However, it does not have a lot of the older moulds and also does not tell what cartridge the moulds were intended for as some older ones I have seen seem to. Can you advise which publication would be a good reference for this information? Any chance you have something you could scan and send me. I have searched the internet and could not find anything.

floodgate
02-22-2007, 03:03 PM
happy7:

Of my two copies of the Lyman Second Edition "Cast Bullet Handbook", my plastic-ring bound "quick reference" copy has no date, but my "library" copy - with stapled and taped binding - has a "Co[pyright] 1973" at the bottom inside the front cover.

Many of the older Ideal bullets can be seen on CASTPICS: www.castpics.net>Research and Data>Ideal Handbook No. 9 (near the bottom of the list). This shows about 150 of the earliest designs, as of 1897 or so. The First Edition "Handbook of Cast Bullets" described and pictured above has many others, if you can find a copy. If you go to www.Cornellpubs.com, you can order affordable copies of many of the older handbooks; I would recommend Nos. 16 (1904, the "high point" of early Ideal production), No. 26 (1915, the end of Marlin/Ideal production) and No. 28 (1927, the first full listing by Lyman) - these with the bullet handbooks will cover about 95% of the designs over the years.

If you have a specific bullet in mind, PM me and I will look it up on my cross-index list and send you what data I can find on it.

floodgate

45 2.1
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
If you go to www.Cornellpubs.com (http://www.Cornellpubs.com), you can order affordable copies of many of the older handbooks; I would recommend Nos. 16 (1904, the "high point" of early Ideal production), No. 26 (1915, the end of Marlin/Ideal production) and No. 28 (1927, the first full listing by Lyman) - these with the bullet handbooks will cover about 95% of the designs over the years.
floodgate

I went to the site and can't find these. What category are they under and where exactly?

happy7
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
45 2.1:
I found the link http://www.cornellpubs.com/Templates/Historic-A-IDEAL.htm.

Floodgate: Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. It just goes to show google doesn't know everything.

I was interested in the 35864 mold and was curious if it was originally a 36064 or if there were other bullets for the 38 S&W. It was very interesting to read that it said in the ideal catalog that the 35864 was the "regular bullet for the 38 S&W." This confirms what I suspected but it is nice to see it in black and white. Now if I can just find one. If I can't maybe I will have to try my hand at the group buy and see if 45 2.1 can design an exact copy.

That cornell site is amazing. they have everything on there. I will definately have to get one or two of those catalogs you recommended.
Thanks again.

floodgate
02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
45 2.1:

Follow the trail blazed by happy7; if that doesn't work for you, PM me.

Doug

45 2.1
02-23-2007, 08:00 AM
That link worked, Thanks.

montana_charlie
02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
If anybody has one that he doesn't need, I would sorta like to pick up a copy of Lyman's second edition of their Black Powder Handbook.
Actually, all I really want is a copy of the page which has loads for .45-90.
CM

Nueces
02-23-2007, 03:45 PM
MC, I can email you a photo of the page, or snail mail you a copy, your choice.

Mark

montana_charlie
02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Email would be fine, Neuces, and thanks. I'll PM you my email address.
CM

Nueces
02-23-2007, 04:27 PM
It's a done thing.

Mark

montana_charlie
02-23-2007, 05:29 PM
It's a done thing.
And, done well I might add. Thanks for saving me the cost of the book.

For anyone out there shooting a Sharps (or anything else with steel parts), don't bother to buy the book if all you want is the loading data.

Their test barrel has a .456 groove diameter and a 1 in 20 twist. Their bullets were all cast from Lyman #2 alloy, and their powder charges are so mild you might be better off with compressed air. They probably did a little powder compression by seating the bullet, but it is doubtful there was enough to make GOEX burn clean.

The loads are probably safe in the weakest old Trapdoor found on the battlefield (if one was ever produced in .45-90), but for anything else - you can 'accidently' make better loads than those in the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook.
CM