PDA

View Full Version : any machinest interested

hunter2
02-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Would like to get some reduced capacity brass made for a 375-06 imp.. Would anybody be interested in such a project? If I could get the outside turned down and the center hole started I could finish up. Either furnish mat. or per piece, etc...

Doc Highwall
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Lathe turned brass would be very prone to cracking due to lack of grain structure that drawn brass has. My suggestion if you are looking for light loads is try some AA5744 powder from Accurate Arms it works well in large capacity cases for light loads.

deltaenterprizes
02-12-2011, 01:36 PM
One member took some cases and poured melted zinc inside and then drilled a hole down the center to male reduced capacity cases.

Artful
02-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Lathe turned brass would be very prone to cracking due to lack of grain structure that drawn brass has. My suggestion if you are looking for light loads is try some AA5744 powder from Accurate Arms it works well in large capacity cases for light loads.

Actually if you don't over work the brass it does quite well - I have some turned reduced capacity 308 brass made up by Liberty suppressos's David Saylor that I use Lee's collet neck sizer on and have over 40 reloads thru without a crack.

KCSO
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Before you do any brass turning try 10.0 of Trail Boss and a cast bullet. I have made turned brass shells (everlasting) for 45-70 to 45-110 but I don't even size them. They have lasted quite well, but I am using a 1949 South Bend Lathe and one off they are a pain to make. In 303 I pour the deprimed case full of acra glass to say the shoulder, put a toothpick in the flash hole first. when it hardens drill out a flash hole and load 4.0 of bullseye and a 32 acp bullet for small game and indoor practice, neck size only.

hunter2
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Already tried the Trail Boss. Just not consistant. I have found better results if it is compressed. Short throat, gc below neck. 5 different cast and the acc. stinks. Liberty does not make it any more. Unique works quite well, but the reloader in me gets shook up when I see that much empty space in a case. Have not tried any straight down - deer hunting. Have tried lead, not so hot. Will try the glass next. thanks for the reply...

Artful
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
You could open up the case and drop in spacer tube so that it hold jus the right amount of trailboss then neck it back down.

hunter2
02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Was looking at some 30-06 basic brass. Probably cheapest and easiest route. thanks

hiram
02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I read somewhere, a long time ago, about reducing inside case capacity by rolling a cardboard tube, sliding it in the case, and it would spring open. This would use up volume and reduce powder capacity.

45nut
02-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I seem to recollect there was a brand named "everlasting" available back in the day that was just this, no memory of the cases made though.

357maximum
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
UNIQUE loads in an 06 sized case have never given me any major position sensitivity. I think the "leaf blower effect" of the easily ignited flaky powder accounts for this. In my 35Whelen I have ran unique from the very low end to the upper end of what unique can do. I have yet to see any issue with angle of bore during firing. The biggest issue with unique is that some measures do not throw it consistantly but WHEN you have the same charge in each case position has very very very little effect on P.O.I.

This is my personal opinion:

You are seeking a solution to a non-existent problem......but that is MY opinion and you are free to do as you wish.

jmorris
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
You could open up the case and drop in spacer tube so that it hold jus the right amount of trailboss then neck it back down.

I don't know about this one, the spacer tube would have to be as strong as the chamber or it will just fire form to the case.

BerdanIII
02-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Hiram:

I think it was nitrated cigarette paper that was rolled into a tube and pushed into the case to take up the excess space. The paper is supposed to burn along with the powder charge, so you get to do the whole thing all over again with every reload.

Hunter2:

Maybe the solution is a reduced load of H4895 per Hodgdon's instructions, IF you can find a recommended H4895 load for the cartridge/bullet combination.

Or, how about SR4759? That's always worked very well for me in reduced jacketed loads. Is the .375-06 Improved an Ackley round? You may be able to extrapolate an SR4759 load from a similar capacity case using the same weight bullet.

Artful
02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't know about this one, the spacer tube would have to be as strong as the chamber or it will just fire form to the case.

Exactly what you want - Say you drill out a 223 case at the base and opent the neck of it to 30 or 35 caliber - now open the neck of a 308 brass to .375 drop the 223 case inside and reform the 375 neck back to 308 so the modified 223 case can't come out - now when you drop the powder charge into the case it's inside both the 223 and 308. When you fire it it will expand the 223 to form fit inside the 308 but take up substantial powder room inside so you'll need less powder.

hunter2
02-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Tried sr 4759, too fast. I purchased this thing to shoot cast subsonic. Just knew Trail Boss would work, well it is iffy at times. Have to seat the bullets deep to take up space and the acc. is just not there. It will shoot 350 sierra into 1/2" any time. I can load them backwards for a bigger hole and get 1" at 100 yds.. 350 gr. Clearwater Bullets will do the same. My wife says I am thick headed, but dangit I want to shoot cast subsonic. Pure lead leaves a lot to be desired when seated deep. Have some basic brass on the way. Will try the sleeve inside when they show. thanks fellows for the help

Artful
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I know what you mean I had to badger every gun board for probably 2 years after I found out about reduced cases before some with CNC skills decided to try to make some. Good luck in your project.

hunter2
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Is it because of liability the reason nobody makes reduced capacity for anything? Would even be willing to sign off..

deltaenterprizes
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Liability is the biggest reason I would not even think of doing a project like that. A release from liability is not worth the paper it is written on, you can not sign away something that you do not have rights to in the first place. You also do not have control of the item when you are 6 feet under.
If some attorney takes you to court and you win you still have lost time and the cost of hiring an attorney to represent you to defend you.
There may be less liability if you had a dimensioned drawing with your name and an engineer's stamp on it.

nanuk
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
jsut a thought, would you need to make a cast of the interior of the 30-06 basic so you will know the shape to make the 223 brass for a snug fit?

mroliver77
02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I fill the case with lead and then drill out the center to the capacity I want. It has worked very well for me. DID i UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY THAT YOU TRIED THIS AND DID NOT LIKE IT? iF SO WHAT PROBLEMS DID YOU ENCOUNTER?
sorry caps lock.
I would have thought that epoxie would fail under pressure. I respect anything KCSO says so I bet it works well. I will also give it a try.
Jay

hunter2
02-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Lead would not stay still. Load Trail Boss and compact it, not bad. Stays on the bottom. Everytime you eject it slides in the brass.

AkMike
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Just call Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company. They'll make what you want w/o problems.

Artful
02-18-2011, 01:45 AM
for the lead you need to flux new clean cases, then it will adhere, but you want to fill to the neck shoulder junction and redrill the cavity and flashhole. I still say the best way is to put a 223 case inside dremel off the rim, drill out the flash hole to pass your expander - trim so it's up in the shoulder when expanded inside the 375'06 case. It should eat up enough volume to be able to use trail boss with close to 100% capacity.

hunter2
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
AkMike, yes they will make it. Contacted them a while back. Min. $550 plus brass, ouch. Have some basic brass coming. Will let you know how it works. thanks for the replies...

mroliver77
03-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Lead would not stay still. Load Trail Boss and compact it, not bad. Stays on the bottom. Everytime you eject it slides in the brass.
I forgot to check back in on this one. Like artful said the lead needs to go all the way to the neck. I then drill to the flash hole with a .30 cal or less drill bit. You can also drill the flash hole like 1/8" all the way and have a .30 cal chamber drilled whatever depth you want.
I have never taken the time to clean one up and tin the inside to make a solder connection between the case and lead. I am going to try this and artful's way of inserting a case inside. Or now that I have a lathe I can turn an insert of brass to get whatever capacity i want. I still vote for the lead as it is fast and has worked very well for me.
Jay

hunter2
03-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Lehigh bullets are turning some inserts ( make terrific subsonic projectiles ). Quality Cartridge will be inserting and forming brass. Seems they do this a lot. Will keep you posted...:popcorn:

Buckshot
03-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Would like to get some reduced capacity brass made for a 375-06 imp.. Would anybody be interested in such a project? If I could get the outside turned down and the center hole started I could finish up. Either furnish mat. or per piece, etc...

................Here's the opportunity you've been looking for to get that 35 Rem :-)

...............Buckshot

hunter2
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
35 Remington?????

Longwood
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Or maybe using a rolled up piece of brass shim stock instead of paper?
I accidentally dropped a paper patched bullet in my lead pot this morning and was surprised when the paper patch popped to the surface empty. A little darkened and hardened some but I bet one could fire the case with the same paper more than once. After seeing how good shape it was , I doubt a piece inside of a case would be badly damaged either.
I am getting ready to load some 45-70 and may do some tests with the paper method to start with them maybe turned brass tubes or a small case dropped in and fire formed.

Longwood
03-11-2011, 06:52 AM
After reading this thread, I tried a 44 brass in the 45-70 case and found it to be a snug fit. To make a experimental filler, I machined off the rim then cut a slight taper about 9/16 " up the case from the base to fit the internal taper of the 45-70 case. I drilled out the primer hole,rounded the end some and trimmed the case mouth a little so a 405 bullet will seat and measured the capacity (to base of bullet) with and without the filler. With the filler in place, the case now holds around 10 to 11 grains of Trailboss instead of 15 to 16. I now plan on doing some experiments with some other powders I have and don't need anymore.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!

Artful
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
You go longwood - I think this is the solution if we can't get custome made cases turned from solid stock or if you don't want to fight with lead filler.

Buckshot
03-13-2011, 02:02 AM
35 Remington?????

.............Yeah, sorry. I brain farted the '375' part of the Whelen and was thinking 35 caliber ie: 35 Whelen, so for reduced loads suggested the 35 Rem. I have a 375 Whelen AI and it does well with the Lyman 375449 up to about 1600 fps.

http://www.fototime.com/E763D260E176835/standard.jpg

..............Buckshot

ohland
03-13-2011, 11:20 AM
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

This guy has gone to the lower edge of sanity, BUT he is still alive.

I have NOT used these techniques, I know of NOBODY using them, and if you try this, it's YOUR problem. Direct any questions to the author.

Everybody loves a disaster movie. :popcorn:

Artful
03-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Ohland

I think you'll have a hard time getting P. T. Kekkonen to respond he passed away about 2004

Very knowledgable about reloading and history and experimented with may interesting things. He is much missed.

mpkunz
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Brian Hammond in Canada, I think Alberta, makes adapters for a large variety of big centerfire rifles. They use a 22 construction blank for power. I have one in 7.62x54R for my Mosin and another in 8mm for my Mausers. I made one of my own design for .45-70. They are really fun to shoot.

hunter2
04-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Project is on hold due to medical problems and bills. Thanks for all the help...

Artful
04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Hunter2 feel better soon

W.R.Buchanan
04-16-2011, 01:31 PM
hunter2: Are you looking for solid brass rod turned on the OD to .30-06 dimensions with a 1/4" hole drilled down thru it for the powder ?

I have never considered such a thing but I suppose it could work.

I am Buchanan Precision Machine. This sounds like an interesting but expensive approach to light loads.

The problems I see with this approach is the neck area will be very prone to breaking off the case due to the turnig marks left by the tool. This might be able to be overcome by burnishing the surfaces after turning, and then annealing afterwards. However this would only add to the cost of the product.

These cases would easily be worth about $10 a piece in quantities of 100 or more.

The job would require a special collet to hold the tapered case so you could do the second operation of drilling and reaming the Primer pocket and Flash Hole in the end of the new case.

I think the the neck issue might be overcome by the interior design of the cavity but still it is only .010-.012 thick brass and it is going to give up easily, and at $10 a piece+ it would be pretty risky.

I personally think you'd be better off with the powders mentioned above, instead of reinventing the wheel.

Might be a fun project to experiment with when I retire someday.

Randy

Artful
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Randy - Hunter2 is looking to reduce capacity of 375 '06 improved cases.
Several companies made these for subsonic loading in 308 out of turned brass
most recently I have purchased from liberty suppressors but theirs was a one time run.
The secret of making the brass last was not to over work (so neck sized with Lee collet)