PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 44-40 CMR die

Wayne Smith
02-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Gentlemen

I have the above die and, when it is adjusted like a 'normal' die, with the decapping pin 1/4" below the base of the die, the die sizes 2/3 rds or more of the shell to the neck diameter! To just neck size the decapping pin and rod would have to extend more than half the length of the shell.

Are they all like this??

I also discovered that the RCBS small capped decapping pin fits this die perfectly.

ktw
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Are they all like this??

The dies for the tong tools (the four die sets) did neck sizing and decapping with different dies, therefore, you don't run into the situation you describe.

With the less common, two die sets for the Trueline Jr there was a single die for sizing and decapping, like the one you have. I haven't used those, but did inherit a used set for 257 Roberts with a press purchase and recall thinking that the previous user had the decapping pin set at, what looked to me, like a long way out. What you describe could very well be the case with the 310 combination size/cap dies.

-ktw

Bent Ramrod
02-13-2011, 04:08 AM
I would think you need to adjust the decapping stem until it is about 1/4" below the level of the inside of the handles (if you're using 310 handles) or 1/4" below the bottom of the slot in the shell holder, if you're using a True-Line Jr. Most of my 310 decapping dies have the little chuck that holds the pin as well as the pin sticking past the bottom of the die; sometimes there is even a bit of stem visible.

If it says "CMR" it means Combination Muzzle Resizer or a neck sizer/decapper in one die.

Green Frog
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Wayne,

I'm finding that I like decapping and neck sizing in two different steps with the tong tool, or with my TruLine Jr press. For the latter it is for control, and for the former it is because so much effort is sometimes needed to do both at once, the handles become too hard to squeeze. :oops: With that .44-40 case, I would want to make sure I size just enough of the neck to get a good grip in the bullet, and leave the rest of the case alone. There were also some dies that were supposed to simultaneously size and decap on the downstroke, the reopen the case neck ID to take a jacketed bullet on the upstroke... I would avoid those like the plague on a little TL Jr., but that's JMHO based on about 35 years with that press, your mileage may vary considerably. ;-)

Regards,
Froggie

Wayne Smith
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Froggie, I agree completely. It's a wonderful little press, with equal emphasis on "wonderful" and "little"! I was simply unsure how that die should be adjusted on this press - I'm not sure I am comfortable with the decapping pin hanging loose that far. Probably a result of years of the other style creating a prejudice.

Ramrod, it is that little chuck that the RCBS small capped decapping pins fit in perfectly.

Green Frog
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Wayne,

If you would feel more comfortable doing it the way I suggested, I can probably find a decapper (only) die laying around here somewhere, then you can remove the decapping rod from the CMR die you have and use it just for sizing. Of course this uses up another of the TL Jr's 4 die stations, but if you use a powder measure stand, that makes stations to decap, neck size, bell, and seat/crimp. Drop me a PM if you need a decapper.

Froggie

Bent Ramrod
02-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Wayne,

If those pins are interchangeable, that's one of the miracle coincidences of reloading. I find very little that's standardized from one make to the next.

Thel 310 set has the adaptor on the handles that keeps the shell centered so the decapping pin can hit the vent hole for depriming. The shell holder on the Tru-Line Jr. is straight up with a long shank and set screw and should do the same.

The same centering is normally provided by the full-length resizing die in the large die sets. Without that guidance, things can get irritating. I find I have more trouble with the stem on the 7/8" x 14 size "Universal Decapping Die" on my regular press wandering off center and bending or breaking, and it only has the pin itself visible below the die. Just got done pounding the decapping pin on one of those straight, then put the thing away and got out the 310 tool to decap a bunch of .38-55 shells without further trouble. As the 310 decap die is set up, most of the chuck is visible below the end of the die body, and the primers are pushed out just enough to shake out of the handles.

Wayne Smith
02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
As the 310 decap die is set up, most of the chuck is visible below the end of the die body, and the primers are pushed out just enough to shake out of the handles.

Thank you! That's the detail I need.