PDA

View Full Version : 38 WCF boolit Molds

Marvin S
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Got a Win 92 on the way and will be needing a mold for it. I have been looking at the Lyman 401043 and the RCBS 40-180 cowboy types. The Lyman does not seem the have a crimp groove but instead has two grease grooves while the RCBS has one grease groove and a crimp groove.

What are your guys thoughts about these two molds, good bad or other wise. These will be shot through a original Mod 92 MFG 1913.

StrawHat
02-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I do not own or shoot the 38 WCF cartrdige so I have no personal experience with it. The Lyman lacks a crimp groove because it was intended to be loaded on top of a full case of black powder. The powder would keep the bullet from shifting back into the case and neck tension kept it from shifting forward.

With smokeless powder occupying less room, you can crimp on the portion of the bullet in front of the grease groove.

Good luck with the Win 92, I wish I still had mine.

Marvin S
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I really never thought of it that way but it makes sense. I'm leaning towards the RCBS now. I know the Lyman is a copy of the original Winchester mold but it makes you wonder how they overcome the crimp issue when smokeless powder started being loaded. Maybe the crimp at the bottom of the boolit was the trick.

9.3X62AL
02-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Probably so, Marvin. No experience with the 38-40, but lots with the 44-40, its slightly larger cousin-in-law.

From reading here and elsewhere, the 38-40s tend to run a little wider than on-spec .400"-.401" grooves. You might want to wait until you have the firearm in hand--and been able to slug its throat and grooves before getting your mould(s).

A LOT of the hyphenated Winchester caliber rifles and revolvers run wide. This wasn't such an issue with blackpowder loads and binary-metal boolits. These combinations "bumped up" more readily than do modern 3-metal alloys and smokeless powders. That's my theory, anyway.

Marvin S
02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Something to ponder I soppose. I should have the rifle Tuesday and know more then. Thanks guys

BCall
02-13-2011, 04:19 PM
BRP has a 401640 mold that should work well too, and you can get it in a 4 cavity. It will probably be the next mold I buy from Bruce.

cajun shooter
02-14-2011, 12:08 PM
After you receive your rifle you might want to look at the Accurate mould site. If your bore is a different size he can make a very nice brass molds for about $120.

Marvin S
02-14-2011, 07:06 PM
The BRP boolit looks good and am also looking at Accurate molds also. I just ordered one from Tom in my new 32-40 GC design.

smkummer
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
The lyman bullet works in a revolver ( the bullets will not walk out if crimped on the ogive) and if you only load a few in the magazine of the rifle but recoil and magazine tube pressure are factors that push on the bullet. My lee sizing dies allow the Lyman bullet sized at .401 to hold tight but I would not rely on crimping on the ogive itself to hold if you load your rifle tube full. Too bad as I really like the Lyman bullet and it also works great in my 40 S&W handguns. If Lyman were to add a simple crimping groove to its design, then all would be well.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
It is true that 043 was listed as the original bullet for the 38-40 and that it was designed to be loaded over a caseful of BP. But when you use smaller charges of smokeless powder nothing keeps the bullet from telescoping into the case. A crimp behind the front band gives you excessive OAL and the round will not feed thru a Winchester 73 and probably not thru a 92 either. I tried a Lee factory crimp die and this worked when the bullet was seated with the case mouth ahead of the front band as like with BP, but 38-40 neck thickness isn't all that much and the Lee die did a fair amount of chewing/work on the mouth. I found that trimming the case neck back by the same amount as the thickness/length of the front band of 043 and then crimping behind it gave me a workable OAL. I reduced the powder charge a couple of grains to allow for the shortened case and the reduction of air space. 73's are not strong actions and it is always better to be safe than sorry. Trimming isn't fun, but it solved the prob for my 73. LLS

405WIN
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I have owned several rifles in cal. 38-40 The bullet will easily push back into the case if you do not aply a crimp.
My recipe is this.
1. Hornady dies. (They size the case back to original Winchester factory ammo specs.)
2. Bullet with a crimp groove.
3. Redding "Profile Crimp" die. Taper crimps, followed by a Roll crimp.
4. Winchester brass. (Seems to be more mallable, which holds crimp better.)
Hope this is helpfull

Marvin S
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Okay just ordered a pile of stuff and had to go with Midway. I was somewhat suckered in with a Saeco 2 cavity mold #401 as it was on clearance and the last one left at $69.00. Also went with the Hornady dies, and picked up the Redding profile crimp die also on clearance for $22.00. Picked up the other odds and end's like shell holders and top punch too.

BarryinIN
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Late coming into this, but...

I just got my first 38WCF about a year ago, a Colt New Service.

I've tried the Lyman 401043 someone else cast, but didn't care for the lack of crimp groove and small meplat.

I also had an H&G #315 for 10mm use that I tried. It's a 200 grain TC-FP (that runs more like 210 grains with WW). Also no crimp groove since it was meant for semiautos. Like the 401043, it shot OK, but nothing special. Good enough if I feel the need for a heavier bullet in the cartridge I guess.

After some foot dragging, I bought the RCBS 40-180CM. I really like it. Good crimp groove, nice big flat meplat, and shoots pretty well. I guess I've pretty much settled on a standard load for that gun, using this bullet and Unique. They cast out at around 185 grains from WWs, btw. I don't know if I ever will use BP, at least in that gun, but the lube groove looks big enough to hold plenty of lube for it.
It also does pretty well in my Delta Elite 10mm.

I recently got a Rapine 190 grain, but I haven't cast a single bullet from it yet. It looks a lot like the RCBS mould.

I am really interested in hearing how your Saeco 401 does. I like the looks of it, and debated between it and the RCBS before getting the RCBS. I'd still like to try a Saeco 401 yet. Even though I've got twice as many moulds as I need for that gun I seldom shoot, I expect to end up with a 401 sometime.

Marvin S
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Maybe we can swap some boolits sometime.

BarryinIN
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Maybe so. I do seem to be accumulating a variety..for something I don't shoot all that much. I just had back surgery, so I won't be casting any to swap very soon, though!