PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 32 SWC molds

Jack Stanley
02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
For those of you that use the RCBS 32-98-SWC , what is your normal as cast diameter and weight with it ?

Thanks , Jack

Gun-adian
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Jack, my mould drops at .317 at the part line and .314 across it. The weight is 101.5gr.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

ChuckS1
02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Mine are .315. Average weight of five was 101.4 grains, using straight wheelweight alloy.

Jack Stanley
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the response Mike and Chuck . I wonder if the parting line thing is typical of this mold . Other than that this type looks like it might work for what I want . I may have to see if Graf &Sons have one in stock .

Jack

ktw
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
.314x.315 and 102 grains in WW alloy. Nothing unusual as far as a parting line.

-ktw

Dale53
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Jack;
I don't have that particular mould for my .32's. However, I HAVE used that bullet from a one time borrowed mould. It is an excellent bullet for the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum.

I have a group buy six cavity 100 gr Keith, so that is what I use. However, I believe that the .32 RCBS 98 gr SWC is as good a bullet as you will find, out there. The only quarrel I have with it is it only comes in a two cavity mould (I would MUCH prefer FOUR cavity (if iron) and six cavity if aluminum.

Dale53

Jack Stanley
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
ktw and Dale , thanks so much for your input . I too much prefer four or six cavity molds and I prefer iron as well ( though I do kinda like brass molds ) .

My beloved H&G number sixty-seven was ordered ( by me ) long before I had a 32-20 and that mold can only muster about .311" withh softer alloys . I can run this bullet with soft alloy and three point two grains of Bullseye just fine from a Browning model fifty-three . Truth be told though the rifle needs something more like .313" to .314" to make it run right when velocity starts getting up there . My rifle will take the heavier loads but the bullets are starting to tip I believe because they are too small and the velicity/pressure to high . When I slow it down round holes show up again .

On a whim , I tried shooting some bullets that came from a mold I bought from Catshooter . They come out at just over .314" and sized to .314" are a slight force fit into a fired case . Right now I am going to try bullets sized to .313" and seated to 1.510" or there abouts , any longer and they run into the rifling and jam the bullet deeper . Tomorrow is supposed to be above freezing so I'll try it out , I'm still thawing from the days I was out testing loads while temps were in the teens .

I'm thinking the RCBS bullet might make a nice replacement for the factory loaded hundred grain lead and lever through the Browning good as well .

Jack