PDA

View Full Version : reloading startup

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-11-2011, 06:28 PM
i want to get started reloading , i just started casting my own muzzle loader connicals , getting good looking lee r.e.a.l s , but i won't be able to test them for a while as they don't plow the range , so no were to park that won't leave me stuck so when it warms up again , muzzle loading at -10 is no fun any way to much time needed with gloves off measuring powder and such

my next step is reloading , i was down at my local store (pop and 2 sons part time shop) less than a mile away he carries primers powder bullets dies manuals , and will order anything i want his prices seem good , certainly on powder figuring there is no hazmat charge if i buy from him , it's all good i am even cool with sending a few extra dollars hi way to keep them in buisiness walking distance away.

i have him checking on the lee breach lock challenger anaversary kit for me i figured that shoudl be a decent start

besides the anaversary kit what other things am i going to need or stongly want besides dies , powder , primers , and bullets to get started loading my brass

also torn do i start with rifle or pistol is one easier or harder than the other.

eventualy i hope to load for 30-06sprinfield ,30-30win ,.223/5.56 in rifle and in pistol 44rem mag , 40 s&w , and 9mm luger

looking at load data varget looks like a good choice to start with for the 3 rifles

and maybe longshot for 9mm 40s&w and imr 4227 for 44mag

cost i need to keep the cost down as much as i can , i only get so much to play with i need to make the most of it

so looking for suggestions on good equiptment at good prices to do what i want without paying for lots of features i don't need

thanks for your suggestions .

probably would start with 44 and 30-06 as the first to reload they are the least cost efective to purchase loaded and 2 guns i would like to get to shooting more

AaronJ
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I would highly rocomend a better scale and powder measure. No offence to anyone who likes theirs but to me the lee setup seemed cheap. You will also need a way to trim your brass. looks like the kit comes with a cutter but you will need the proper length case guides. Last but not least you can never have to much load data. lyman is your best bet if you will mostly shoot cast but for jaketed I like the sierra book

Ilwil
02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Knowing what I think I know, I would start with the 44s. Though they obviously use up your lead faster, I think you will find them easier to cast, and you will get satisfying results quicker. Your '06 bullets ought to be a harder alloy, and you may find they don't fill out they way you would like. I have found rifle moulds to be more temperamental.
Winchester 231 and Unique are indispensable pistol powders to me. Lee equipment, particularly their kits, is the best deal going. I have Lee equipment still going strong after 25+ years, some of which I would stack up against any rival. Lee's loading manual is packed with more useful information than any single loading manual I can think of. I think it outshines Lyman.

darthdave22
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi there Pete. I started out with the Lee challenger kit. Yea its cheap, and I have since upgraded everything. But I never had a problem with any of hundreds and hundreds of rounds I loaded with just the Lee kit. First thing I upgraded was the powder measure and I never had any issue with the scales accuracy. Now I have an assortment of Redding, Herters, Lee, RCBS and Lyman stuff that I have patched together at every yard sale and Craigslist posting I have seen [smilie=w: As for reloading manuals I started with the Lee one and I love it and now I have the Lyman manual which I also really like. You can't have too many reloading manuals! I would not hesitate to buy the Lee press again for pistol, but its really not quite enough for 30-06 in my opinion since I have since gotten used to the very large cast iron presses for large calibers. That being said I did load alot of 8mm and .223 on my Lee Challenger with no problems at all.

Ickisrulz
02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
There are lots of fans of Lee products on this site and then there are others that don't care for them. I haven't used much of their stuff myself.

But from my perspective I will say two things. First, since you will be using your reloading stuff for a long time don't be afraid to buy quaility--price really doesn't matter in the long run. Second, a lot of money people spend in this hobby is to upgrade their stuff. So try to figure out what you want to do and buy quaility equipment that will meet your future needs (wants) as well as what you need to do now.

mooman76
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Nothing wrong with Lee stuff. It is cheap or inexpensive but functional. The powder scale has much to be desired but it is accurate, just slow and a little confusing at first. I got a better scale but keep the Lee as a backup just in case mine breaks. I didn't like the powder measure at first either but it is actually a good an accurate powder measure. Like Ilwil said 44s will probably be easier to start with or at least the straight walled cases. In the rifle 30.30 is great to start out in for cast boolits. Get a couple good manuals and read first. It will give you a better idea of what you will need or want.

02-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I, too, started with a Lee kit. However, other than the small items -- primer pocket cleaner, chamfer tool, case trimmers, etc. -- it's all been replaced. If you plan on making reloading a long term hobby, you will be better served by products from RCBS and Lyman, and Hornady, for instance.

For casting equipment, I find Lee furnaces and moulds to be a different situation, and use them without reservations.

As mentioned, .44 would be the easiest to start with. Rifle cartridges aren't difficult, just some extra steps required.

I don't do 9 or 40 mm, but, from my reading, they can be boolit finicky.

nes4ever69
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
4 years strong with my lee press. the scale in my opinion is junk, but ok to start with. just watch it cause mine was to easy to accidently change the weight setting.

i still use the powder measure but i bought a trickler so i can get the weight i want with it as it never throws exact charges all the time.

dont forget a set of calipers and a bullet puller. the lee case length gauge does work great, except im finding on alot of once fired brass it may, may not need trimming.

if buget permits, that auto disc that lee sells. fits on pistol dies and throws pretty consistant charges. ill pull it off my load master and use it on my single stage and cuts powder measure time down drastically.

just remember t keep things clean and everthing works good, except for the load master, thats a whole different world.

starmac
02-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I am like you and just starting, and about have most of what I need gathered up including 2 of the lee presses. I picked up a lot of my stuff at estate auctions and garage sales and on the swapping and selling on here, plus some new locally.
I have been planning this for close to two years and reading all I can find on it,including several manuals. From what I can tell you might see what it would cost to upgrade your kit to the lee classic kit, apparently the lee classic cast press is as good as is own the market for a single stage, from all the research I have done in the last 2 years. I intend to upgrade my press to the lee classic turret this summer.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I heard back from the shop last night , thier order prices are within a few bucks of the best online prices and no shipping charges , i think i am going to start with the anaversary kit and the 44 dies. they have cast size lubed boolits at the shop i think i may start with a box of them and get a load i like worked up then try casting for it.

some advise i had seen on this site a while back was if your new to reloading , don't play with all the variables at once , maybe even start off with some Jacketed till your comfortable you have a handle on reloading, seemed like fair advise

Throckmorton
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
loading straight walled cases like most pistol cases,and some rifle ammo like 45-70 and 38-55 is much easier than working with bottle necked rounds.The reason is far less,or even no trimming required,
for the rest of your dies peruse the wnat ads on the 'net,dies hardly ever wear out,and a few bucks saved here and there means more money for supplies.
I agree about stepping up to a heavier press for '06,or most any rifle round.My buddies cast iron press sits next to my Challenger in his barn,and the diffrenct is sizing rifle cases is amazing.Lee has a good solid cast iron press for a good price these days.
Is Craigs' list active in your area? put an ad in the WTB secton for dies and brass..ammo and powder are not allowed,primers prolly not either.
even tho it adds a step,I ALWAYS seat then crimp in 2 operatons,requiring a seperate crimp die,or seat/crimp die set to just crimp.Trying to adjust the 1 die to do 2 operations is slow and frustrating when changing bullets or making adjustmetns to either the seating or crimp.

OBIII
02-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I heard back from the shop last night , thier order prices are within a few bucks of the best online prices and no shipping charges , i think i am going to start with the anaversary kit and the 44 dies. they have cast size lubed boolits at the shop i think i may start with a box of them and get a load i like worked up then try casting for it.

some advise i had seen on this site a while back was if your new to reloading , don't play with all the variables at once , maybe even start off with some Jacketed till your comfortable you have a handle on reloading, seemed like fair advise

While I am not an expert, I started reloading in 76', and restarted about 3 years ago. While I agree with those who say there is no substitute for quality, I find that my Lee presses when used and maintained correctly to do an excellent job for me. I would concur with starting with one caliber, reloading with jacketed bullets to start. When you become comfortable (i.e. understanding what you are doing and being aware of what you can do to eff it up), then branch to a 2nd pistol caliber, again using jacketed bullets. From there progress to a rifle cartridge (I would recommend the 30-06 since I also reload that), still using jacketed. Once you are comfortable with reloading pistol and rifle, then you can start casting. By this time, you will have been acquiring lead, ww, linotype, and saving money (Heh heh), and can begin casting your own bullets. Start slow, pay attention, dream big. Good luck with your endeavors and keep yur powder dry.

:coffee:

DCM
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
+1 on the revolver ammo first, less work and it should not need trimming, learn to walk first.
Lee is a good place to start. They are inexpensive and SOME of their products are top notch, SOME. They are located in WI.
Once you get going you will know what you like and dislike about their products.

IME Forester makes the best rifle seating dies, Dillon makes the best dies for working with cast as they can be easily cleaned without removing the die from the press, Lee makes some of the best rifle sizing dies.

IMO I hate the Lee lock rings as they need to be adjusted each time you install them in the press and I immediately replace them.

The Lee perfect powder measure is the best one I have used for stick powders, I never used it for anything else so I cannot say for ball or flake, but for stick it is better than those 3-10x the price!

READ all your manuals and be safe!

Best of luck!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
thanks for the advice , sounds good . plan is to start with 44 , only having a relvolver in 44 and not a 357 or 38 would it make scence to try 40s&w as a second , or just jump to 30-30 or 30-06 rifle cartrige

starting with jacketed , then when comfortable cast.

Markbo
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I started reloading a little late in life. Here is the best advice I got from a couple of different sights from individuals I had come to know and trust their opinions:
Buy 3 reloading manuals - no more, no less - including "Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook" - 4th edition is the latest I think) and "The ABC's of Reloading".

Read them one at a time cover to cover. Then go back and re-read them one at a time cover to cover, this time highlighting in yellow any ideas that you consider important regarding safety and anything pertinent to specific cartridges you intend to load.

Start on straight walled pistol cartridges only. I happened to start on .45 Colt because I had a few, they are easy to load for and because they are not a magnum. This allows for a very large range of loads from mousefart cowboy loads to more than enough for an SAA.

Only after all the reading is done, begin to decide on equipment. Whatever your budget, double it. Besides the press and dies, there a quite a few other pieces of equipment that all add up. There is plenty of time to learn about all that later. Think 'beyond the rest of your life' in terms of strength and quality. IMHO Lee does not stack up because of the aluminum in their presses. Big, heavy and cast iron will outlive me. Will aluminum? Probably not.

However, that decision was way down the road. It took me a while to read through the books first and have a basic understanding before I chose equipment. I made the right choice for me and you will too. But the time is not now.

Suo Gan
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I would start with the 30-30, then move on to the 44 mag, then 06 then the high pressure pistol rounds. You have to crawl before you walk. Each stage represents a certain set of challenges (read danger). If you want subject matter mastery, there is a certain sequence that will lead you there much more quickly. Starting with a rimmed cartridge such as 30-30 although it is not straight walled will preclude most headspacing issues so that you do not burn your face off and kill folks ten miles off with your new found talent. If the Lee kit comes with Dick Lees manual that is good. Also, whatever powder you are using you will need a manual for. I highly recommend the "NRA guide to Reloading" as well. Cross referencing data is extremely important when first developing a load in a particular rifle, and is PARAMOUNT when a greenhorn. Perhaps the NRA is sponsoring a local reloading and shooting group.

Reloading is a great hobby, and casting boolits just makes it all that much better because it is the one component you can make yourself. But, you need to temper any exuberance you have and moderate it with safety as the ultimate goal, not accuracy, not economy, etc. Do not ever go over published loads. There is no such thing as making reliable, accurate ammunition quickly. It is about being methodical, that way rote memory will kick in when stupid human error takes over. When I was a kid I worked for a mom and pop supermarket. I was constantly losing my box knife when I first started. The owner told me to put it in my back pocket and force myself to do it every time I was done using the knife. Somehow I found the knife miraculously in my back pocket when I needed it, I did not even remember putting it there.

Be safe, and strive for perfection by realizing that your equipment, no matter the maker, and no matter how much you paid for it, is NOT perfect. YOU, the human being who is fallible must remove the errors and not rely on machines or expensive equipment to do that for you.

Entire books have been written many times about what we are talking about here, get several of them and READ them...then start nipping away at it. It ain't rocket science but understanding the difference between fear and reverence is key.

PS Starting with revolvers is not as easy as it may seem unless you are lucky and get one with the right dimensions, that is timed just right... I am not that lucky usually. Just because it says magnum on it does not mean it needs to be loaded to magnum velocities.

Wayne Smith
02-13-2011, 09:15 PM
I assume you are not close to a large population and shopping - rare to find what we need locally anyway. As was mentioned, dies don't wear out, RCBS has an ironclad repair/replace policy except for electronics, and presses typically don't wear out either. This makes the used market very attractive for reloaders. Most of my die collection came from eBay, and I got three of my four presses and both of my sizers used.

Lee makes some very good stuff and also makes some kits that they sell as complete. If you are mechanically able and have the tools you can complete their kits, otherwise you are better off with one of the other manufacturers. Their Cast presses are world class, they finally got their materials up to their design and engineering.

None the less, patience and watching a lot of items on eBay can give you some excellent bargains.

I concur with the advice to start with the 30-30 and/or the 44 Mag. Both are relatively easy to load for and experiment with.

adrians
02-13-2011, 11:03 PM
i too started with the lee kit and is still going strong (my grandson now loads with it ,under my watchfull eye, he's just a pup,) but i must admit the scale as stated above leaves alot to be desired so i quickly upgraded to an rcbs 5-0-5 it cost more but ya get what you pay for and the 5-0-5 is in my opinion well worth the dollars.
the next few months will tell you what you might need to upgrade or maybe not , lee is still great value for money and as a "newbie" to reloading your on the right road using lee.
have a great night ,,adrians :twisted:[smilie=w::evil:

thenaaks
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Do yourself a favor and start with the lee classic cast turret press. It can be used as a single stage press if you want. When you want to load up a bunch of pistol ammo, you'll appreciate the extra speed.

PacMan
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
If you have the funds i highly recomend the Foster CO AX press.I bought one about a year ago after using my rockchucker for many years. My only regret was that i had not bought one years ago.
After buying the Foster i put away my box of shell holders and hand primer system,not needed any more.All built into the machine.
No screwing in and out of the dies.They just slip in.2 2nds to change out.
More compact than most other single stage press.
Very accurate that is the reason they are the most used press on the firing line for 600 and 1000 yard matches.

There is a down side-if you are using Lee sizing dies you may or may not be able to use the container on the top that catches your sized bullets.I have not tried one but intend to.

Get a good powder scale, measure , trickler and at some point a case trimer and you are on go.

Best of luck to you.

WILCO
02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
just watch it cause mine was to easy to accidently change the weight setting.

Doesn't happen if you lock the setting down with the button provided. 8-)

nes4ever69
02-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Doesn't happen if you lock the setting down with the button provided. 8-)

huh??? i never saw a lock button on that scale.

Recluse
02-16-2011, 03:35 AM
huh??? i never saw a lock button on that scale.

Neither have I. Now, my Lee Safety Scale is over 30 years old (it's green, believe it or not--almost the RCBS green) and it took me maybe two, possibly three reloading sessions before I went out and bought an RCBS scale, but to this day, I still use that Lee Safety Scale to confirm charge weights when I'm working up new loads.

Nothing wrong with that Anniversary Challenger set up. I bought one for a friend of mine's younger brother last year, and Lord only knows how many rounds of .308, 30-06 and .270 he's loaded on it.

I bought a Challenger press back in 1988--it was all I could afford. I'm still using it today and still using it for 30-06 and everything else single-stage. The targets, deer, wild hogs, rabbits and other such projectile recipients have no idea what brand of press produced the ammo that resulted in their rather swift demise. And I doubt they'd really care. . .

I prefer RCBS dies or Hornady dies as a general rule. I have quite a few Lee dies and feel they are the absolute best deal going, but something about the RCBS dies I just like. Probably nothing more than a personal preference.

Powder measure? Not a stinking thing wrong with the powder measure that comes in that Anniversary kit. Just be sure and follow the directions closely before using it. Run at least one pound of powder through it to get it "lubed" up good and slick and it will throw very consistent charges for you--especially using stick powders. In fact, I have not found a powder measure to date that will throw stick powder more consistently than the Lee powder measure. The Hornady comes close, but still not as good as the Lee.

Buy the equipment you can comfortably afford and then get started. You can always add to the equipment and colors on your reloading bench. Important thing is to get started and begin acquiring the experience and thrill and pure satisfaction that comes with reloading your own ammunition.

:coffee:

451whitworth
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
with the internet being what it is today, if i were starting out i would buy used equipment. it's virtually impossible to wear out a RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, or Redding press. the stuff is so over built. i just bought a Lyman 1000 scale ('80's manufacture) and a 10 year old Redding case trimmer (with all the pilots) for $60 off Craig's list two weeks ago. both were in their original boxes in like new condition. i didn't even need the stuff as i already have two scales and a power trimmer but i couldn't pass it up. anymore, when i need a set of dies, i buy used or new old stock off the internet. the're anywhere from half to 2/3 the price of current stuff. i have many sets of Redding dies that i bought used for less than current retail price of RCBS stuff.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I have done some looking onthe internet , out local craigs list has 3 listing this year for reloading anything 1 had a caliber i am interested in , and they were old herters dies , i can buy new lee dies from my local store walking distance away for 2 dollars more than they are asking for the old dies , so will continue to watch but i am not finding any great deals and very little equiptment that way , i have also checked ebay but most anything i find is not much of a deal after shipping.

so i will most likly be getting new lee stuff ordered by my local small town gun shop owner , whom i would like to see stay in buiness , because i know i can walk over there and they will help me with returns or problems with anything i buy from them and i want to keep powder avalable without a hazmat fee or 2 hours of driving

guns arn't their only bussiness they are plumbers by day and only open the gun store 2 hours a day and 6 on saturday but it is a nice set up and so far they arn't any more than the gas or shipping would be for me to bring things in from the internet or a store in a big town an hour away

starmac
02-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a good plan,and it will help keep a small dealer going. There are deals on ebay and here on craiglist, but you have to be patient as a lot of stuff cost more when you factor in the shipping.