PDA

View Full Version : looking to trade for 40 cal swaged

scrapcan
02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I posted this in the WTB section and have got no responses, so I thought I would put it here. se teh follwoing.

I would like to try some of the 40 caliber bullets swaged with ch dies. I would like 135 to 165 gr. They will be used in a 400 corbon set up on a 1911 platform.

I could trade some swaged lswc bullets to use for cores. I have corbin lswc dies in 357 and 326 diameter. I have various top punches and base punches and can make the swaged bullets/cores custom weights. The swaged will be smooth sided.

send a pm if interested.

sargenv
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't have anything lighter than about 170.. with the majority being ~193's.

scrapcan
02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
What would happen if one could use a lighter weight core? Are you using a 125 grain cast as a core?

I would be up for trying 170 gr. If I have to go much heavier it is just as easy to put the 45 acp barrel back in and run 185 or 200 gr cast boolits.

I would like to try some before I buy the ch dies, but may just buy the dies a nd be done with it. I wil have to check with BT to see if and when some will be available.

DukeInFlorida
02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
You haven't been reading all of the threads, now have you????

Try here for the answer:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105138

Bottom line is that I am getting 165 grain swaged bullets using cut down 9mm cases and 105 grain cast cores.

The few samples I have for my own testing were made with cast cores that someone generously sent me. I don't currently have enough at the 165 weight to share. I believe that there's one other person here who is making 165 grain bullets, but you'll have to read all the threads to find the info......

What would happen if one could use a lighter weight core? Are you using a 125 grain cast as a core?

I would be up for trying 170 gr. If I have to go much heavier it is just as easy to put the 45 acp barrel back in and run 185 or 200 gr cast boolits.

I would like to try some before I buy the ch dies, but may just buy the dies a nd be done with it. I wil have to check with BT to see if and when some will be available.

scrapcan
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Duke,

What weight of core are you using and what diameter? I would trade cores with some for testing if interested. If you are send me a pm.

And yes I am reading all the threads on the 40 swaged using 101 dies. I have some die blanks made for the corbin csp-1, but nt enough time to make a mess of most of them to see if I can get a good one made. Maybe I will push that up the list.

BT Sniper
02-12-2011, 04:14 AM
The 92 grain .356 mold with a cut down 9mm case should get you about 145-155 grain bullet. I would be happy to make and trade some but I altered my die so it is no longer true CH. Instead of a .250 metplat it has a .312. Let me know if you are interested in trying some of these.

I am working on new dies to offer. I did get a call back from CH and word is... "not ready yet" was the only reply I got.

When I get a spare moment I'll make a few of these lighter 40 cals and we can see what they look like.

BT

BT Sniper
02-12-2011, 04:16 AM
That 400 corbon must be pretty sweet! Necked down 45 acp isn't it?

ReloaderFred
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Yep, you make .400 Cor-Bon by necking down .45 acp brass. The caliber change is only a new barrel, so it's an easy one to do. You're pretty much limited to bullets of 165 grains or less in this caliber, since there really isn't any data for heavier ones. I shoot 165 grain bullets in mine.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DukeInFlorida
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Per the thread I linked, I am using some 105 grain cast bullets, UNSIZED, which were originally designed as bullets for a .380 auto, as the cores. I place them round nose in first, in cut down to same length as a .380 auto case (but use an annealed 9mm WCC head stamped case), and then swage that.

Perfect 165-169 grains bullets. Just enough grip length to hold onto, and they are hollow points to boot!

Duke,

What weight of core are you using and what diameter? I would trade cores with some for testing if interested. If you are send me a pm.

And yes I am reading all the threads on the 40 swaged using 101 dies. I have some die blanks made for the corbin csp-1, but nt enough time to make a mess of most of them to see if I can get a good one made. Maybe I will push that up the list.

BT Sniper
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I rechecked my cores and I have a 102 grain mold not the 92 I thought I had but the swaged bullet comes out at 165-170 grains also.

Think I do have a 312 mold at 92 grians though. I see if it will work.

BT

scrapcan
02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
The 400 corbon is a fun round. I will have to order anything less that 180gr as no one in my area carries any lighter than that. and since I am one to make the most of my money and I have the rest of the tooling, I figured it would not take to many boxes of bullets to pay fo ra set of swage dies. I have heaps of 9mm brass and can make cores to a weight suitable for cut down cases.

I have several 30 caliber moulds that will get me close and then I can swage cores. I will see what I can do as far as getting some close to pure lead cast and swaged. When I get a stock of them I will see if one of you would be interested in some sort of trade. May take me a week or two to get set with cores in hand.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
manleyjt,
I also swage a 193gr. HP or FN
I did see your add in WTB.
it's a PIA to trim cases, then deburr.
Months ago, I did some just to see what I could do,
but I didn't have a smaller mold at the time.
those ended up being 180gr.

I do have a smaller mold now.
If the 380 length case isn't too long,
I should end up with a 165ish gr. HP (as Duke has done)
this is on my list of projects...way down on the list.

you didn't post anything I wanted in trade.
that's why I didn't respond.
Jon

BT Sniper
02-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Give me time I can do it! :)

DukeInFlorida
02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I found that the 380 cases were too small in diameter to properly swage into the .40 bullets, and UN-trimmed 9mm cases were too long to form a proper jacket.

So, to get the 165/169 grains, as I explained above, I trim 9mm cases to the same length as a 380 auto case. But because the 9mm's are larger diameter, they form perfectly.

The few 380's I did try ended up looking more like HP boat tails, but the crimping area was lacking. They would not have worked well with the .40 S&W assembly process.

I have mt RCBS Pro Trim set up to use with a drill motor, so the trimming goes fast!

Yes, the deburring it tedius.

I'm looking at the adapter that RCBS makes for deburring while trimming:

www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/3_WayCutter_Instructions.pdf

Watch this video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j65zHxVenz8

Here's another guy, using the same deburring attachment, but he is also using the quick chuck system on his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeZ6np1XsA

The first guy had his drill motor directly attached (chucked) onto the pro trim spindle. The second guy is using a hex driver, chucked in the drill motor, which engages a hex socket screw, threaded into the end of the pro trim spindle. That's how I am doing my rotating. It's a metric thread socket screw.

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Maybe I should offer to trim a bunch of cases, make cores to correct weight, and then offer on a take half leave half basis?

I was going to try to rig up a forster collet in a unimat to trim brass. maybe that would make it go quicker, or not. Also what about using a pinch trim die?

At this point it is still a want to try some before investing time and resources into making or acquiring the tooling.

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
JonB,

I was pretty sure I had limited myself on trade goods in the original thread, so if you have things you might like to trade for, I might be able to come up with it.

I do have some lead wire correctly sized for 357. I have 38 jackets the proper length to make 130 grain bullets. I think these might work for 40 caliber slugs in the 130 to 150 wieght range. But am not sure.

If anyone is interested in giving some a try I would work with you on some jackets and cores.

BT Sniper
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Anything is possible! I have a .312 mold that drops at 85 grains, add a trimmed 9mm at probalby around 60 grains that should get us about perfect.

Let me see what I come up with. Of course my bullets have a .312 diameter nose instead of the .250 if your still interested.

BT

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-15-2011, 12:37 AM
JonB, I was pretty sure I had limited myself on trade goods in the original thread, so if you have things you might like to trade for, I might be able to come up with it.

I am looking for some Lyman lube-sizer dies
I prefer the type without O ring
.359 or .361 or .431 or .505 or .225 or .244 or .258
-Any and all top punches for Lyman lubsizers.
Jon