PDA

View Full Version : uberti cattleman & Black Powder

drumgool
02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I have been thinking of getting a ubertie cattleman revolver in 45 colt . I am just getting started in loading black powder in my 38-55 and would like to shoot black powder in this revolver. I am looking for advice from you guys that shoot black powder in your revolvers . What issues have you had if any . I read some where that some people have a lot of trouble with black powder in 45 colts . some have no problem at all. just like to know *** & cons before I make a purchase and be dissapointed

Dan Cash
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
How well black will work in this revolver depends upon how the cylinder is made. If the cylinder has a bushing for the axis pin that ends forward of the back of the barrel and has a good gas ring cut in it, the revolver will likely do well with black. If it does not have this bushing/gas ring relationship, then black powder will freeze the cylinder within a dozen shots or so.

41magfan
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
The 45 colt and blackpowder just seem to go together. As I'm sure you've already found it is dirty and you won't make any friends if you shoot at a indoor range. Been there done that. Lol. If you have the time search youtube for HICKOK 45 in some of his videos he shoots some blackpowder guns and he's from your neck of the woods(middle tennessee)

Wayne Smith
02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I have two Cattlemen in 44-40 that I shoot almost exclusively with the Holy Black. I can shoot about 30 rounds before the revolver clogs, and all you have to do at that point is pull the cylinder pin, clean the pin and cylinder, lubricate, re-assemble, and go on shooting.

I wouldn't let anything keep me from shooting Black in mine and predict you will have just as much fun with yours.

Gripmaker
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
It also depends upon the brand of BP you use. The cleanest shooting BP is made with Alder wood and I amonly aware ofone manufacturer who uses it, WANO from Deutschland. They are the largest mfr of military grade BP in the world. Graf and Sons brand from Mexico, MO is Alder BP by WANO and is alot cheaper than any of the others. If you don't want any worries about BP, use one of the substitutes. American Pioneer Powder and Goex Pinnacle (same powder...different color) are the least worrisome. I have shot many three-day matches here on the Plains w/o cleaning for as much as a week after the shoot (not recommended as a habit but can be done). Wish this sutff had been around years ago when I was building M/L rifles as a sideline business. Hogdon has since bought Goex and I am told that they are discontinuing the BP line...too good of stuff and they don't want the competition, I expect. If you see it available, get it while you still can.
God Bless and shoot safe.
Gripmaker

Four Fingers of Death
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I shoot Piettas in 44/40 and they last all day at a cowboy match. I also have Rugers in 45Colt. They are a lot messier and I believe that they are less of a problem with full charges of BP and heavy bullets. I haven't really persisted with BP in them, and usually don't bother with them if I'm shooting BP, because it is a no brainer with the 44/40s. I use Wano as it is the only sort of powder I have been able to get. It works ok.

Chihuahua Floyd
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I shoot a little BP for SASS. Mostly use American Pioneer Powder in the 45s as I don't have a big lube design bullet mold.
If you want to shoot authinic BP, I wwould recommend a 250g bullet with a lube groove designed to carry an extreme amount of lube. Good, soft, gooey lube.
It's messy, it stinks, and a whole bunch of fun.
Yes, you may need to pull the sylinder pin and clean when it gets sticky, thats dependant on the tolerances of the individual pistols.
Have fun.
CF

coopieclan
02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
DO IT!
I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington clone in .44 cal to shoot cartridges in a conversion cylinder*.
I switched to black Powder style.
I like it much better now... I shoot .454 balls with #11 caps and Pyrodex.
I like the loading process, it's like antiques and science.
Pre made things like bore butter and wonder wads are good too.
It costs me pennies to shoot. My accuracy is getting better. There is room for improvement and tinkering with the load etc.
What's not to like.

*If you put cartridges in a conversion cylinder be sure to use "Cowboy Loads"