PDA

View Full Version : maximum 38 special wadcutter load

atlatl
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm looking for a load using Unique that will be at or near max for the Lee 148gr TL wadcutter. The revolver is a snub Smith and Wesson. Since the wadcutter will be seated much deeper than the 158gr SWC I have been loading I know the reduced case volume will result in higher pressures, so just looking for others experience. I'm looking to make defensive loads, not plinkers. Thank you

bobthenailer
02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
years ago the hot setup was a 148 gr hbwc seated with the hollow base seated out of the case for a hollow point. no load avalible
IN the lyman cast bullet manual for the lyman #35863 seated flush, with unique powder 3.7 to 4.7 max
For a factory defense load my first choice would be the Cor Bon excellent dpx load with barnes bullets, for other choices hornday critical defence or speer gold dot short barrel.
As a + for the barnes xpb tac or speer gold dots you can buy the bullets as reloading componets .
the barnes are expensive ! but whats you or yours life worth?

excess650
02-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Speer #11 lists 4.5-5.1gr Unique for 868-981fps from a 6". This data is NOT intended for HBWC loaded in the conventional manner.

MT Gianni
02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
FYI you do not need to seat it flush for your purposes, I would not lube anything that protruded out of the case but in working up loads you can leave a couple of lube grooves out of the brass if they will chamber. the exception is if it is for a S&W 52 auto.

Tim357
02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
+1 on MT Gianni's post

atlatl
02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Speer #11 lists 4.5-5.1gr Unique for 868-981fps from a 6". This data is NOT intended for HBWC loaded in the conventional manner.

My bullets are solid so no worries blowing the skirt off but I do want to seat them considerably deeper than the 158gr SWC I was using. Just wondering If I have to back off on the load to compensate for the reduced case volume or not and if so by approximately how much.

excess650
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
My bullets are solid so no worries blowing the skirt off but I do want to seat them considerably deeper than the 158gr SWC I was using. Just wondering If I have to back off on the load to compensate for the reduced case volume or not and if so by approximately how much.

The data I quoted is lower than earlier data for WCs. If you're concerned about pressure, seat the bullet out beyond flush, or use SWCs.

bhn22
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Lymans "Pistol & Revolver Handbook" shows some pretty hot loads for 38 Spl with 141 gr wadcutters that might be usable as a starting point. If you are shooting a J frame, standard pressure loads are about all the fun I can tolerate in my 649.

zxcvbob
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
That would be about 4.5 grains of Unique, with the boolit crimped into the top little tumble-lube groove. About 1/10" of the boolit nose will be sticking out of the case. It's about a 19000 psi load, and should give you almost 1000 fps from a 4" barrel, or 850 from a 2" barrel. (I have no idea if it's a good load or not, it's on my short list of things to try) Start at about 4.0 and work up to it.

excess650
02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
That would be about 4.5 grains of Unique, with the boolit crimped into the top little tumble-lube groove. About 1/10" of the boolit nose will be sticking out of the case. It's about a 19000 psi load, and should give you almost 1000 fps from a 4" barrel, or 850 from a 2" barrel. (I have no idea if it's a good load or not, it's on my short list of things to try) Start at about 4.0 and work up to it.

Even if its a very short barrel, at arms length or a bit farther, it WILL be effective. My experience with snubbies (mostly S&W) was that they were accurate. The limiting factors seem to be the short sight radius with relatively crude sights, and inability to get a good consistent grip.

I DID have a Charter Arms once upon a time. It didn't shoot cast worth a hoot in its shallow rifling, but did pretty good with jacketed. Its DA trigger pull was terrible, so not a good choice for close encounters, IMO.

The best advice I can give you is to PRACTICE! Become as proficient as you can with your carry piece. I usually have Federal Nyclad 125HPs or Nyclad 158SWCHPs in my 640. They can be pricey, but you can practice with your handloads and reserve the factory stuff for serious social encounters.

scrapcan
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
atlatl,

are you a chucker as your name implies? Yes I am also one who tries the whipping stick! Not alot of us around. I would like to hear of your adventures with atlatl and dart.

Wayne Smith
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a S&W Mdl 15 2" and loaded the 4.5gr load. Heavy load, and the range officer where I shoot put 5 rounds into two inches at 25yds - I can't do that, my eyes don't allow. But it's an accurate load in that revolver! He is a competitive shooter.

atlatl
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I did try exactly this load. Recoil was not excessive and it shot as well as I can. Thanks

Good Cheer
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm looking for a load using Unique that will be at or near max for the Lee 148gr TL wadcutter. The revolver is a snub Smith and Wesson. Since the wadcutter will be seated much deeper than the 158gr SWC I have been loading I know the reduced case volume will result in higher pressures, so just looking for others experience. I'm looking to make defensive loads, not plinkers. Thank you

Sir,
Speaking strictly on defense loads in a snubby 38...
can you size the front part of the slugs to slip them on up into the chamber throats? That lets the bullet be seated out.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/snubby2.jpg

StrawHat
02-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I have never used the TL 148 WC from Lee but have used the 150 WC mold they used to make. When cast hard and loaded over +/- 5.0 grains of Unique I had a load that was good for about 900 fps. I used it a lot for small game and vermin. It worked much better than any of the reversed HBWC loads I tried as it hit hard and penetrated. Cast them hard and shoot them at about 900 fps and see if they are what you want.

The revolver I used was a S&W M36 with a 3" barrel.

357shooter
02-19-2011, 07:19 AM
148 wadcutters penetrate very well at low velocity for defense purposes. For proof look at http://www.brassfetcher.com/38wadcutter.html

They use a Federal 148 Gold Match rated at 710FPS and it penetrates the entire 16 inch gel block. With a snub nose.

I load mine in the 700-720 range, of which there are many recipes available. Hodgdon's chart for their LHBWC works fine with any wadcutter.

StrawHat
02-20-2011, 07:28 AM
At one time I had saved an article written by a coroner on the terminal effects of different bullet shapes. He favored and carried the wadcutter. (I have succeded in losing the article so if anyone else has it, please post it so I can read it again.)

Dframe
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
FYI you do not need to seat it flush for your purposes, I would not lube anything that protruded out of the case but in working up loads you can leave a couple of lube grooves out of the brass if they will chamber. the exception is if it is for a S&W 52 auto.
I've loaded them this way (with a ring or two outside the case) for a long time. Years ago factorys Loaded what they called a "full power wadcutter". Wadcutters of proper hardness and loaded to maximum would make a formidable defense round. That big square shoulder could do a lot of damage and overpenetration (exiting the target) is greatly reduced.