PDA

View Full Version : Chamber Pressure

RonE
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Is there a chart published anywhere that lists the various chamber pressures of cartridges that is easy to read and understand. Since CUP, LUP and PSI do not compare easily, is there a chart that lists all cartridges in one pressure measurement?

I ask because I have a Krag (30-40) with a pitted barrel and would like to make something else out of it, perhaps .405 Winchester.

Rocky Raab
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
You can find lists of SAAMI pressure specifications, but they won't all be in the same system. Cartridges that are considered obsolete probably won't be re-tested using modern methods due to the cost of the test gear. Others are tested in a rotation and eventually will be re-tested as lab time permits. Until then, older rounds (and even some loads in some newer rounds) will still be shown in CUP units.

shooter93
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
The 405 is loaded to higher pressure than the 30-40 Krag so you'd need to reduce them accordingly. On another note I'm not sure a Krag will feed a 405 correctly. I'm in the process of making some dummy rounds for the 40-70 SS or really a 40 Krag to check feeding. We did work on one that a guy wanted to chamber in 444 and it would not feed the last round. His magazine was "worked" on previously so that could have been the problem. A 35 Krag feeds perfectly.

RonE
02-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Please keep me updated on 40-70 SS project. I have two Krags, one a nice sporterized gun and one a Bubba Special. Both function well mechanically but the BS Krag has pitting on both sides of the barrel where the barrel and wood met before the stock was cut back. It also has a "no drill" Pacific receiver sight that is missing all the moving parts. In other words, the perfect project gun.